Heater core from hell

99GreenStang

Reaction score
Why did they build the car around the heater core. I can't express the hatred I have and I'm not looking forward to having to put EVERYTHING back into the car and I'm not even sure I'm capable of putting it all back together lol. I've read some things online about people who claim to be very good mechanics whom pay other people to do this job for them because it truly sucks that bad. I'm sure some of you have had experiences with this any good advice?

21c939dbdcf64166e3e9bec670024ee2.jpg

Pretty right? Nah FML!

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yep... had to do this twice on the 99 sixer that I used to have... Certainly not a fun job. The good news is, you get faster at it the 2nd time around.

Mustanger

Reaction score
I was quoted 400 bucks at the dealer years ago to do this...I bet closer to $1000 now?? Super poor design to probably save a nickel.

GEORGEKLASS

Reaction score
First time I did it in a FOX sucked ass. Second time around still sucked ass but at least I knew exactly what to do. Do you really need to remove the dash on an SN95? On a fox once with the steering column dropped you can pull the dash out enough to access the box.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Like [MENTION=17876]DeepList[/MENTION] said, the more you do it, the easier it gets lol

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
there are short cuts but not sure they are worth it in the long run. I have heard of people cutting the enclosure and then gluing back together and that is easy and fine in a car your going to eventually get rid of before it goes out again. Mine will not be sold so I don't want to take any shortcuts that I would deal with later.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I've done it once on my own. Took a very long time, especially placing the dash back in place. I think I had it done on my own in 11 hours or something like that.

GEORGEKLASS

Reaction score
there are short cuts but not sure they are worth it in the long run. I have heard of people cutting the enclosure and then gluing back together and that is easy and fine in a car your going to eventually get rid of before it goes out again. Mine will not be sold so I don't want to take any shortcuts that I would deal with later.

Cutting and gluing is some ghetto ass shit lol. I can't beleive someone would do that to their car. But does the dash really need to be pulled on an SN95?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
pretty sure you can pull it back on the pass side enough to grab it but at that point is not that hard with a friend to pull it out completely and do it right.

OP
OP
99GreenStang

99GreenStang

Reaction score
Yeah you don't have to completely remove the dash but I found it ALOT easier to get it out with the dash removed. Plus with the dash removed I can redo and reroute some wiring... I definitely have full access now haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Unless you're Jesus or something, I don't see any way of doing it WITHOUT taking the dash out. 99GreenStang, if you could enlighten us, that would be great.

When I did mine in the 99 V6...

img058.jpg

GEORGEKLASS

Reaction score
Unless you're Jesus or something, I don't see any way of doing it WITHOUT taking the dash out. 99GreenStang, if you could enlighten us, that would be great.

When I did mine in the 99 V6...

img058.jpg

Unless it's different on an SN95 then a 87-93 Fox why would you not pull the dash and frame as one piece instead unbloting the dash from the frame and leaving it on? On both my LXs once the column is dropped you have enough room to pull the dash on the pass side and access the box the core is in. It's a little tight but not that bad. Much better than having to mess with wiring.

OP
OP
99GreenStang

99GreenStang

Reaction score
Instead of removing the dash all the way you just pull the passenger side of the dash back a little and reach behind it and remove the heater core from the box simple as that.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but after doing this twice already, I just can't see how that would be possible. ^

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I thought the dash mounted to the frame from the back so that you have to remove the frame to take the dash off of it?

OP
OP
99GreenStang

99GreenStang

Reaction score
I'm not saying it's easy especially since 99% of Americans are obese and have back problems and short arms like myself lol, but with enough maneuvering it is possible young jedi just use the force

FOUSH

Reaction score
I need to fix mine as well. What does this usually cost at a shop?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online