Heater core from hell

OP
OP
99GreenStang

99GreenStang

Reaction score
Haha labor on this job at a shop will be around 700 bucks minimum if you find it for less I would rip his arm off so fast he would need a new rotator cuff lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Addermk2

Reaction score
I love how you guys are crying about a job that can be done in about 2 hours.

Come talk to me when you pull the dash out of a 2014 Rav4.

OP
OP
99GreenStang

99GreenStang

Reaction score
I'd kiss your white bare ass to see you do this in 2 hours. Ha!

Addermk2

Reaction score
A common mistake is removing the dash cover off the dash frame.

If my memory serves me correctly, there is one nut at the bottom corner of the dash on each side, four bolts in the middle, at the console... One behind the radio.
The column drops with 4 nuts and one pinch bolt. And then the 3-5 screws across the top of the dash.

Hell, I'm pretty sure you don't even need to remove the airbag or gauge cluster.

GEORGEKLASS

Reaction score

If my memory serves me correctly, there is one nut at the bottom corner of the dash on each side, four bolts in the middle, at the console... One behind the radio.
The column drops with 4 nuts and one pinch bolt. And then the 3-5 screws across the top of the dash.

Hell, I'm pretty sure you don't even need to remove the airbag or gauge cluster.

Sums it up

OP
OP
99GreenStang

99GreenStang

Reaction score
Lol it's all in good fun. All is good in paradise. I plan to start buying parts soon and reassembling this beach. Wish I could find someone who had a used Autometer gauge cluster made for a 99-04, because the new ones are like 114 dollars... Pricey but that's Autometer for you, but Autometer is dependable but for gods sake it's a piece of molded plastic lol.

96gt4.6

Reaction score

that would be all there is to it, it is actually a very easy job i would say it took me 3 hours total first and only time doing it

Addermk2

Reaction score
I got a quote $800 labor and parts.
Which is decent. Alldata put a 6.4 hour labor time on it. Does not include recover and recharge of A/C. Which is another 1.5 hours.

My shop charges $110/hr

So, ~$870 just in labor. My personal side work labor rate is significantly lower. So I do them for about $550.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score

Fml, I have to do this over the weekend and I'll use this as my guideline, thanks.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
[MENTION=10188]white95[/MENTION] it's not a bad job at all. There is a good write up on line that tells you exactly what bolts to remove. I pulled mine in about 40 minutes, by myself and over my lunch break at work. That was my first time too.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Nope, just a presumed heater core leak

7A781C7C-91F0-4503-BD4A-E78203B1B36B_zpsqzthzy7g.jpg

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Local place is open tomorrow, works because they can properly recharge it. I just used the low side method and added a few cans.. Wish there was something I could upgrade while I was in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnknownArmy

Members online