Heater core gone bad?

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by 68mustang5.0, Jun 14, 2007.

1. 68mustang5.0

68mustang5.0 Active Member

so today, i pull in my GT into my driveway, and then i jacked it up to tighten up the inlet pipes on my exhaust.....then, as i looked under my car, i saw fluid leaking!!!!! :noes: i thought it was trans fluid, but, it was antifreeze and water!

I looked at the radiator, no leak, but, it was coming from the firewall...there was someting sticking out of the firewall that was leaking the water....my dad said that the heater core ruptured and i have to change it...now i have to plug my heater hoses........

How hard is it to change the heater core?

2. Grnstang

Grnstang Member

I had the same problem and the shop I go to said it was a $450 job. I'm guessing it's a fairly long job, but I just decided to bypass the heater core for now. All you have to do is unplug the longer of the two hoses from the core and put it onto the port on the intake manifold where the shorter hose goes onto. Just unhook the short one and leave it until you can fix it. After looking at the manual I think I'm just going to do it myself, but who knows how that's going turn out. I'm by no means a skilled mechanic.

3. ripper

ripper Well-Known Member

You sure its not just the hose? Heater cores usually leak IN the car.

4. 68mustang5.0

it smelled like antifreeze in the car, but it wasnt wet! :mad: There is now some small tricking out of that little nipple ( its on the far left of the firewall, almost to the bottom) There was a TON of water on the ground. Still sound like the heater core is bad?

5. ripper

ripper Well-Known Member

Do you mean the silver metal nipple?

6. Grnstang

Grnstang Member

On our cars they will not leak in the car due to a drain under the heater core. Pretty cool actually. It just leaks out underneath saving the mess of having to clean the coolant inside.

7. ripper

ripper Well-Known Member

That is cool. Bout time they used there heads for somthing other than a hat rack. Still gonna be a real pia to get to it though. Id pay the 450. LOL

8. Steeda98GT

Steeda98GT New Member

Man you are brave to change it out by yourself, I did it once and will NEVER do it again. :nonono: :nonono: :nonono: Had to take out the entire dash just to get to it. Im paying Ford to do it, that's all I know.

9. ripper

ripper Well-Known Member

Ive heard its a friggin nightmare.

10. 68mustang5.0

im gonna go look it up in a HUGE ass shop manual at my library this weekend, and see how much of a motherfricking nightmare it is. lol

11. scarface

scarface Guest

I did it on a fox once...swore I would never do it again on ANY stang. I would pay 1k to have it done before I would do it again!

12. Mbachota97

Mbachota97 Member

Its possible for it to leak in your car b/c it happened to me. I had mine bypassed and goodluck if your doing it yourself

13. Grnstang

Grnstang Member

LOL...Well, maybe I shouldn't do it myself. I just can't seem to justify spending 450 bucks when I don't even drive it when it's cold out. I still might takle it myself. It'll be good experience. O0

14. 9psi 98

9psi 98 Active Member

That's the condensation drain for when you're using the A/C, without it your carpet in the passenger footwell would always be wet. When my heater core blew on my fox body, it fogged the windows up really bad and drained coolant out of the drain just like yours did. Just about the only time that it will ever leak in the car is when that drain hose gets plugged up, which is not all too common, but it has happened enough in my prescence to mention. I took some copper pipe and soldered a "U" with two different outside diameters to accomodate the different size hoses. It worked until I got the new core in the mail. They are a bitch to replace and I actually ended up cutting the rear of the heater box into a sort of "flap" so I could lift it and pull the old core out and put the new one in. There was no way to get all of the screws out without going insane. I sealed the cuts up good with some silicone before I put everything back on. Doing it this way doesn't mess anything up and you'll never see it. The best part was I never even had to pull the entire dash out. Might be worth a shot....

15. 96 blue moon

96 blue moon Active Member

I have replaced heater cores several times but they were on the police cruisers (crown vics ) and you should remove your complete dash console if this is your first time doing this kind of job. Removing the dash makes it easier to replace the heater core so you will not damage the new heater core. If you have never done this kind of job before let a certified mechanic do the job due to the air bags. Do some research first if you are going to do it yourself. It's not that bad of a job but than again I am a certified mechanic and have done this several times. Good Luck!!! :thumb:

16. DropTopPony

DropTopPony Administrator Staff Member Admin SN95 Supporter

Why not just bypass the heater core? You don't use your heat all that often now do you?

17. 9psi 98

9psi 98 Active Member

My 88 was a convertible, so every time the top was down and sun went down I had the heat on....I'm sure you've been there before Bob.

18. 68mustang5.0

In hawaii it never really gets that cold to use the heater, but when it rains, it POURS!

Ill change it before the winter, lol

19. brwillms

brwillms Active Member

Changing the heater core sucks...especially when your 80 year old father-in-law decides he'd like to help. :eek: Depending on how comfortable you are around tools, it's really not that bad of a job. I would give yourself plenty of time though. It will probably take 10-12 hrs the first time you do it. You will also want to buy the Ford replacement part not third party. Many people say it lasts significantly longer. I also used a dremel to cut open the heater core housing so I wouldn't have to unhook all of the A/C lines. That might save you a little time. I'm pretty sure several people on Corral have done that. There was even a good write up on how to get the dash out.

20. 9psi 98

9psi 98 Active Member

Add my vote for cutting the back of the heater box instead of unhooking everything, it hurts nothing and saves sooooo much time.