Heater crossover pipe

Chenn2389

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the leak prone heater cross over pipe with some fittings and hoses? The part no longer is manufactured. I JB welded the section where it leaks but didn’t help. Going to have to cut the pipe now to take it off.

I can’t get mine to stop leaking and it’s getting worse by the day. It’s making a mess of the front of my engine.

Ideally use a t-fitting that threads into the lower intake and will accept the coolant temp sensor and a hose back to the heater core. And a separate hose that returns and goes straight into the water pump.

Only issue I see is the temp sensor is regular thread and the intake manifold is pipe thread.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Are you talking about the heater pipes that go back to the heater core? They’re still made unless the 94-95 is much different than the fox part. You could adapt one from an 86-91 Crown Vic/Town Car/Grand Marquis to work. It’s pretty much what you’re describing.

OP
OP
Chenn2389

Chenn2389

Reaction score
They are no longer made for the 94-95 and have not been for a long time. The Fox ones are different shape and have provision to run coolant to the EGR spacer which the sn95 does not. They are not compatible.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Do you have a picture? I just read about some differences but I don’t see why one couldn’t be used. There are ones without the nipple for the egr cooler too.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I have seen them for 86 93 but will not fit
You could modify it with hose and fittings
And ebay nose bleed prices

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I know a guy that can replace the orings in it on fb. I have been trying to figure out the tool to take it apart myself but can't. I replaced mine with an hose/fittings

OP
OP
Chenn2389

Chenn2389

Reaction score
I know a guy that can replace the orings in it on fb. I have been trying to figure out the tool to take it apart myself but can't. I replaced mine with an hose/fittings
This is what I’m trying to do. Mines no longer salvageable.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it can be done but I am not sure what the tool is that is made to do it. I have been considering what it would take to make my own tool.

OP
OP
Chenn2389

Chenn2389

Reaction score
it can be done but I am not sure what the tool is that is made to do it. I have been considering what it would take to make my own tool.
I’d rather just use AN fittings and some hose. Already tried to JB weld the spot where the orings seal it off and it didn’t work. Pulling it apart to replace them not an option for me anymore unfortunately.

OP
OP
Chenn2389

Chenn2389

Reaction score
So I think I might try using the old school 90 degree elbow from the carb set up and run rubber coolant hose back to the heater core and another hose returning straight to the water pump. I can relocate the temp sensor to the fitting on top of the thermostat housing.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I don’t recommend that arrangement because the coolant temp will be wrong until the thermostat opens. Maybe it won’t make much of a difference, I’ve never tried it. I was going to do that for my equuis coolant temp gauge on my 87 grand Marquis.

OP
OP
Chenn2389

Chenn2389

Reaction score
I don’t recommend that arrangement because the coolant temp will be wrong until the thermostat opens. Maybe it won’t make much of a difference, I’ve never tried it. I was going to do that for my equuis coolant temp gauge on my 87 grand Marquis.
I’m not too worried I have a 160* t-stat and the fans low speed is set for 190* and high speed is set at 200*. The t-stat will be open long before the fans would need to come on.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
If you do use your thermostat housing
Make sure you have the clearance temp sencor to thermostat
I do remember the old housings had that kind of room

OP
OP
Chenn2389

Chenn2389

Reaction score
If you do use your thermostat housing
Make sure you have the clearance temp sencor to thermostat
I do remember the old housings had that kind of room
I have the temp sensor there currently for the aftermarket fan controller and it’s working good.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I am going to go through another person's engine
Complete rebuild

He is having the same issue stuff rotted out
If I come up with something I will post out

07GtS197

Reaction score
I’m not too worried I have a 160* t-stat and the fans low speed is set for 190* and high speed is set at 200*. The t-stat will be open long before the fans would need to come on.
No but with the ecu will think it’s colder than it actually is the ecu will add fuel. All I’m saying it might not run right until the thermostat opens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson

Members online