Heavy clutch should we purchase for our next build?

papac0rn

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Toying with the idea of restoring another cobra. Found a 1997 Cobra convertible for sale near me. The car looked pretty rough but I can fix up the cosmetics. When the wife and I took it for a drive we found the clutch really hard to push down compared to our 1994. Shifting felt pretty notchy hard to get it in gear. It popped out of fourth twice on me for the few miles I drove and at a traffic light while downshifting I couldn't get it in gear at all till we stopped. The engine sounded great and ran wonderful. I've been reading it could be the transmission, clutch or the shifter cable. The guy wanted 7800 which I know is way to hi but would take offers. Should I walk on this or make him an offer figuring it probably needs a new transmission and a clutch? Just looking for some thoughts on what the issue is? Should I walk? What is a fair offer? The car was in pretty rough shape. It was a florida car up till 2017 then came to Indiana. It was repoed last year and then this gentlemen purchased it and has owned it only 10 months and he's selling it. Car sat out all winter. Hard to tell if there is rust underneath but the body was really clean needs paint and most of the interior redone. Top looked good. Has 97k miles on it. The carfax showed at 50k it had the tranny and clutch replaced I think that was about 15 years ago.

b0fc17da5d7e340123d2a3a6d08d51e9.jpg
77899776cd89ea5521889f14902c38dd.jpg

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Burninrock24

Reaction score
Sounds similar to when my throw out bearing was going bad, clutch was going with it. At that mileage it’s probably due.

As for price, you just have to determine if a convertible Cobra needing work is worth it to you in this stimulus driven used toy market.

In my area I’ve seen less than 10 cobras for sale over the last decade. In the southern states you can throw a dart and find a clean Cobra. So it’s up to you really.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I'm very partial to that particular combination. I started with that exact car. Top down is awesome! Could be clutch cable, throwout bearing or something else. Looks pretty stock which means it needs pretty much everything replaced, suspension bushings, things like the oil cooler O ring ect...

When you say "restore" do you mean back to original? How are you planning to use it? You can build a really fun car but it will be a lot of time and money.

I would offer $5000.00 or less considering how much work it needs.

Keep us posted please.

Last edited:
OP
OP
papac0rn

papac0rn

Reaction score
I'm very partial to that particular combination. I started with that exact car. Top down is awesome! Could be clutch cable, throwout bearing or something else. Looks pretty stock which means it needs pretty much everything replaced, suspension bushings, things like the oil cooler O ring ect...

When you say "restore" do you mean back to original? How are you planning to use it? You can build a really fun car but it will be a lot of time and money.

I would offer $5000.00 or less considering how much work it needs.

Keep us posted please.

Thanks for the response and the questions. I would want to return it to like new condition or close to it. I like to go to the Mustang meets and just enjoying driving a nice, fun car!:) It wouldn't be used for racing or anything like that just a weekend cruiser. I really like driving our Cobra coupe and my wife thought it would be fun to have a convertible. This particular car was forwarded to me by a friend. The owner has had no interest in it. The pictures make it look much better than it really is in person.

joe65

Reaction score
Nice car. looks like a fun project to me. Anytime someone can save a teksid car i'm excited to hear it.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I rarely drive my car with the top up... If you can get it for a good price I say go for it.

Keep us posted.

Paladin1001

Reaction score
Sounds to me like the pilot bearing is bad. My daughter's 98 GT was exactly like that when I bought it. The clutch held fine, it had been replaced but they didn't put a new pilot bearing in and the old one was trash. Same symptoms you are saying that one needs. If you are doing a pilot bearing you may as well do the whole clutch, flywheel and throw out bearing too.

OP
OP
papac0rn

papac0rn

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thanks for the input. I reached out to the seller today to get his low price. He is stuck at $7500. I'm going to pass on it now. Seems too high for all the work it needs. I'll keep a look out for my next one and drive my Coibra!:)

Paladin1001

Reaction score
Sounds like you are making the right call, he wants daily driver money for it and it is a fixer-upper for sure. Too many good cars out there to pay too much for one. Good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online