Heli coil a 2 valve with the head on quickly?

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by Ineedav8, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Ineedav8

Ineedav8 Active Member

Like it says very bluntly and to the point I need advise on how to do this. A plug shot out to cut to the chase and i need a car asap can I do a helicoil with the heads on? If so wouldnt there be debris in the combustion chamber? Never done it before and im determined lol

2. 07GtS197

07GtS197 Well-Known Member

From what Ive read yes you can as long as you coat everything with heavy grease so when you use the tap it will catch the metal shavings and later a shop vac with a small tube taped to the end to get into the compustion chamber for extra insurance.

3. 96blak54

96blak54 Legend

The aluminum shavings get sucked out during start up and/or disintegrate on first combustion. Typically this is the normal procedure. Ive done and seen a multitude of 5.4l's this way, but I agree with cleaning the cylinder out afterwards. Keeping the cylinders in good shape

4. Ineedav8

Ineedav8 Active Member

I've been contemplating a Helicoil or the timesert or being im laid off work and have all the parts necessary would it be worth it to do a 96 cobra top end i have a complete teksid on a stand i didnt want to put in until i bought forged goodies. Could I swap all of the timing components and covers over and solve this issue and come out better then before

5. lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

Fixed the problem.....sure.

Better than before......NO.

6. 96blak54

96blak54 Legend

4v top end on your 2v shortblock will be less exciting due to lowered compression. Fix/bandaid what you got and finish the 4v build.

7. Ineedav8

Ineedav8 Active Member

What compression? I can't find the specs on the stock pistons. Im not looking for crazy power yet i have boost in the future as well as weight as I plan to install the tubular k which will even it out a bit.

8. DropTopPony

DropTopPony Administrator Staff Member Admin SN95 Supporter

NPI pistons are @ 11cc
    PI went to @ 15-16 cc

4V I thought were like @ 3cc dish.

9. Ineedav8

Ineedav8 Active Member

Ive decided and bought the heli coil (saveathread) kit from advanced and modified the end of the tool to fit a socket and slide in the plug hole going to cake it in vasaline and take a vacuum to it realized i couldnt find all the parts to convert it to 4v quick enough.