HELLPPP!! FUEL PUMP WILL NOT WORK

OP
OP
Will Rey

Will Rey

Reaction score
I’m not sure why you would check the fuse by inserting the negative lead and the positive lead into the fuse. If I were you, I’d keep the negative lead on the negative battery terminal. Then I would place the positive lead on one side of the top of the fuse, where the metal extends above the fuse. Then place that same positive lead on top of the other side of the fuse. If you have 12 volt power on both, it would appear that the fuse is good. If you actually pull the fuse, you can test it by placing the VOM into the resistance mode. Then you would take one lead and place it on one leg of the fuse and place the other lead and place it on the other leg of the fuse. If the fuse is good, your resistance reading should read close zero ohms of resistance. If however the fuse is bad, you would see a high resistance value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will also check this later but I’m pretty sure the fuses and fuse box are good and are providing power to the pump

OP
OP
Will Rey

Will Rey

Reaction score
Also I would love to check to see if my fuel pump driver module is bad but I do not know where it’s located if someone could help me with the location of that it would be appreciated. In the New Edge models the FPDM is in the trunk on the driver side but mine isn’t there.

OP
OP
Will Rey

Will Rey

Reaction score
Also I was reading on the forums and it said the Fuel Pump Relay is in the CCRM for my model of mustang so I went to a junk yard and got a different CCRM from the same year and will replace it later this week to see if that fixes my issue. Anything else that could cause the pump to not turn on?

OP
OP
Will Rey

Will Rey

Reaction score
I’ll check the wires to the inertia switch when I get home and I’ll take all your guys suggestion and test them out :) thanks you guys for the help we will get this mustang running!!!

OP
OP
Will Rey

Will Rey

Reaction score
How do I shoot 12v thru it is there a tool I need. I’m a broke college kid so I don’t have many tools :(

apsmith49921

Reaction score
How do I shoot 12v thru it is there a tool I need. I’m a broke college kid so I don’t have many tools :(
As I said before you have a 12v battery as a source and some leads that would work. If you decide to do this keep in mind you're playing with electricity and those leads will be LIVE. Dont hurt yourself. If you are not comfortable with that then dont try it.

I recommend buying something like this picture to clip to the battery and then the other end clips to the multimeter leads. Then you can use the points to provide power to the wires via the connectors. Which pins that is to provide power to the pump I do not know

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
1ad453ad954e27cf76970dec0f1cac25.jpg

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
So this car was a 3.8 that got swapped. What year is the engine and wiring that got swapped in to it? Do you have a return style fuel system or return less? (Two lines going to the fuel rail will be return, one line to the rail will be returnless).

Inertia switch is behind the left tail light and has a two wire plug on it. Think of that button as a light switch. With the button pressed it would be the same as a light switch turned on. So pull the connector off the inertia switch, ground your negative lead of the meter and stick the positive lead in the connector. When you turn the key, one side should get power. The other side goes to the pump. If you do not get power there, then your issue is upstream.

If this is a return style system, you will not have a fpdm.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Will Rey

Will Rey

Reaction score
Ok I do have a return style therefore I don’t have a FPDM thank you for clearing that up. And the engine is from a 1997 Mustang GT I believe how would I double check tho?

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Ok I do have a return style therefore I don’t have a FPDM thank you for clearing that up. And the engine is from a 1997 Mustang GT I believe how would I double check tho?
You cannot really check that. I would tend to believe that it came from a 97 though, because they were return style up to 98. However, 98 had some changes that made it a bastard year. Check the power at the inertia switch like we said and let us know what it gives you.

OP
OP
Will Rey

Will Rey

Reaction score
Hey guys so I took a reading of the inertia switch and this is what I got. So I am getting power to the pump but I’m guessing it needs 12v to turn on?

Attachments

• 749BC61B-A1E6-45A7-97DE-A3C7F00931D3.jpeg
    749BC61B-A1E6-45A7-97DE-A3C7F00931D3.jpeg
    289.4 KB · Views: 9

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
The key was in the run position but I didn’t try to crank the car on.
The fuel pump will only prime for a couple seconds when you turn the key on. You need to try the test and have someone cycle the key on while you watch the meter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online