Helmet

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Parents finally gave me the green light to track my car. What's a good website to get a helmet from? And what's a good brand, links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
You can find a helmet in any price range on Summit. Hell my buddy Kyle got a black Simpson (Stig style) for $200 on their scratch and dent, regular price $400. I was looking at getting an HJC myself. A lot of them are under $200. Hardest part is figuring out what size you need. Fortunately I tried on Kyle's helmet which is an XL and it fit perfect. I guess we're fatheads

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Look up your track regulations before buying one. Lots of the time they'll even recommend a local store.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
You can find a helmet in any price range on Summit. Hell my buddy Kyle got a black Simpson (Stig style) for $200 on their scratch and dent, regular price $400. I was looking at getting an HJC myself. A lot of them are under $200. Hardest part is figuring out what size you need. Fortunately I tried on Kyle's helmet which is an XL and it fit perfect. I guess we're fatheads

Thanks joey. I think I'll probably need an XL too haha.

Sinned83

Reaction score
I've never used a helmet for passes at the strip. I have more than my share for offroad. Look at HJC they are excellent quality and affordable and DOT and snell certified. They make all different types.

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Yeah a helmet isn't needed unless you're going to be going a whole lot faster, at least down here in NC.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I've never used a helmet for passes at the strip. I have more than my share for offroad. Look at HJC they are excellent quality and affordable and DOT and snell certified. They make all different types.

Yeah a helmet isn't needed unless you're going to be going a whole lot faster, at least down here in NC.

All the tracks in my area require helmets no matter how fast the car is

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have a flat black Bell M4 (I love it) from Speedway Motors for about $400, and the fiance has a rubbertone black HJC AR10 II (she loves it) from soloracer.com for about $310. Both helmets are Snell SA2010.

IMG_3950.jpg

My only advice is make sure you get a proper helmet for the type of tracking you want to do, don't get a motorcycle helmet (it's illegal for a lot of car racing clubs/bodies). Also, look for a good deal, but don't cheap out. Your head is literally irreplaceable. And of course never buy a used helmet (if the helmet has been in a crash, it's supposed to be tossed - you won't know with a used one). Scratch and dent may be okay, but again, is it used or not? So just be careful. Don't be afraid to spend a little extra. You should never, ever skimp on safety gear. Find someplace else to skimp.

Edit: Oh, I forgot, go for a Snell SA2010 helmet. They are a little more pricey, but they expire 2022 (unless they look damaged), so you'll get a lot more use out of it before a race body/club won't let you use it. And you want SA rated, *not* M. M is not rated for fire, where SA is. Lastly, I use my helmets for road racing. I can't imagine drag racing would be that much different? But they might have different rules regarding things like open vs closed face, etc.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
My buddy dropped his bike, sold it and had his old helmet laying around. He gave it to me, and the scaa race I participated in last year approved of a motorcycle helmet. They can be had at a good price for sure... It's the one in my avatar that I use while riding my pocket rocket lol

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I have a flat black Bell M4 (I love it) from Speedway Motors for about $400, and the fiance has a rubbertone black HJC AR10 II (she loves it) from soloracer.com for about $310. Both helmets are Snell SA2010.

IMG_3950.jpg

My only advice is make sure you get a proper helmet for the type of tracking you want to do, don't get a motorcycle helmet (it's illegal for a lot of car racing clubs/bodies). Also, look for a good deal, but don't cheap out. Your head is literally irreplaceable. And of course never buy a used helmet (if the helmet has been in a crash, it's supposed to be tossed - you won't know with a used one). Scratch and dent may be okay, but again, is it used or not? So just be careful. Don't be afraid to spend a little extra. You should never, ever skimp on safety gear. Find someplace else to skimp.

Edit: Oh, I forgot, go for a Snell SA2010 helmet. They are a little more pricey, but they expire 2022 (unless they look damaged), so you'll get a lot more use out of it before a race body/club won't let you use it. And you want SA rated, *not* M. M is not rated for fire, where SA is. Lastly, I use my helmets for road racing. I can't imagine drag racing would be that much different? But they might have different rules regarding things like open vs closed face, etc.

Thanks for the input! Last thing I'd skimp on is safety, I'll spend around $350 tops if need be. I already broke my neck in a car accident like 3 years ago, so believe me I know how important my safety is lol. I would get a helmet specifically for drag and road racing, no way I'd get a bike helmet or anything else but the required helmet. Not buying used either. Ty!

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the input! Last thing I'd skimp on is safety, I'll spend around $350 tops if need be. I already broke my neck in a car accident like 3 years ago, so believe me I know how important my safety is lol. I would get a helmet specifically for drag and road racing, no way I'd get a bike helmet or anything else but the required helmet. Not buying used either. Ty!

Sure thing mang :)

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My buddy dropped his bike, sold it and had his old helmet laying around. He gave it to me, and the scaa race I participated in last year approved of a motorcycle helmet. They can be had at a good price for sure... It's the one in my avatar that I use while riding my pocket rocket lol

I super duper highly to the max *don't* recommend motorcycle helmets for racing. The two biggest reasons are:
  1. Motorcycle helmets are rated M, whereas car racing helmets are rated SA. I mentioned this in my previous post, but that essentially means that SA helmets have a fire retardant lining, whereas M rated ones do not - which makes sense, how likely are you going to be stuck in a fire on a motorcycle? Hardly ever, you will be thrown from it before you are on fire inside it.
  2. Car racing (SA) helmets go through an extra impact safety test that simulates contact with a roll cage. Motorcycle helmets do not. Again, pretty obvious, no cages on a motorcycle.

If you are racing a car, use a car racing helmet (SA). Not a motorcycle helmet. Not as safe. I'm really surprised SCAA let you run with a motorcycle helmet, I'm pretty sure NASA won't. Was it an Auto-X with SCCA? They might have let it go because max speeds on an Auto-X are like 30 mph or so, so I can see a motorcycle helmet being sufficient. From an actual road race, though, not so much. If they let you run on a full track with a motorcycle helmet, that's somewhat scary. I recommend you get an SA rated helmet. If the SA2010 helmets are too expensive (you should be able to find a good brand for a reasonable price), then you can look for a SA2005 one. It will expire in a couple years, but it will certainly be cheaper. Although, there were some safety advanced applied to the SA2010 helmets - I'd still stick with SA2010.

RichV

Reaction score
I would do a closed face SA rated as well. Most DE and Drag allow M rated helmets for the enrtry level, but the ratings go up with the level of racing and speeds.

www.saferacer.com has some great deals.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I super duper highly to the max *don't* recommend motorcycle helmets for racing. The two biggest reasons are:
  1. Motorcycle helmets are rated M, whereas car racing helmets are rated SA. I mentioned this in my previous post, but that essentially means that SA helmets have a fire retardant lining, whereas M rated ones do not - which makes sense, how likely are you going to be stuck in a fire on a motorcycle? Hardly ever, you will be thrown from it before you are on fire inside it.
  2. Car racing (SA) helmets go through an extra impact safety test that simulates contact with a roll cage. Motorcycle helmets do not. Again, pretty obvious, no cages on a motorcycle.

If you are racing a car, use a car racing helmet (SA). Not a motorcycle helmet. Not as safe. I'm really surprised SCAA let you run with a motorcycle helmet, I'm pretty sure NASA won't. Was it an Auto-X with SCCA? They might have let it go because max speeds on an Auto-X are like 30 mph or so, so I can see a motorcycle helmet being sufficient. From an actual road race, though, not so much. If they let you run on a full track with a motorcycle helmet, that's somewhat scary. I recommend you get an SA rated helmet. If the SA2010 helmets are too expensive (you should be able to find a good brand for a reasonable price), then you can look for a SA2005 one. It will expire in a couple years, but it will certainly be cheaper. Although, there were some safety advanced applied to the SA2010 helmets - I'd still stick with SA2010.

Thanks for the info, I honestly didn't even know this. They gave me no grief about it, probably because it was an auto x event. That being said if I ever wanted to do anything else I'd be SOL when I arrived with a bike helmet.

Addermk2

Reaction score
I personally prefer an open face helmet.

*EDIT*
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gfr-3021xlgwh/overview/

Thats the helmet that I use, except mine is the M2005 cert.

NHRA has updated their helmet rules. these are the 2014-2015 rule amendments.

SECTION 20: GENERAL REGULATIONS, DRIVER: 10, 10:7 HELMET (Page44)As outlined under Class Requirements, drivers in all classes, includingmotorcycles, must wear a helmet meeting Snell or SFI Specifications.

Full-face helmet mandatory on all cars 9.99 or quicker. See individual Class Requirements for additional requirements.
Shield mandatory 7.49 and quicker.
Drivers of NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series and E.T. cars (13.99 or quicker) must use a helmet meeting Snell SA2005, K2005, M2005, SA2010, SAH2010,K2010, M2010, or 31.1/2005, 41.1/2005Specs.
Drivers in supercharged, front-engine, open-bodied cars and Funny Carsmust wear a helmet meeting Snell SA2005, SA2010, SAH2010, or 31.1/2005 Specs. See Class Requirements.

NHRA Helmet Expiration
Snell 2005 1/1/2017
SFI 31.1/2005 1/1/2017
Snell 2010 1/1/2022
SFI 41.1/2005 1/1/2017
SFI 24.1 (JDRL only) 1/1/2015
SFI 24.1/2005 (JDRL only) 1/1/2017
Snell CMR 2007 (JDRL only) 1/1/2019
Snell CMS 2007 (JDRL only) 1/1/2019

Caboose302

Reaction score
I personally prefer an open face helmet.

*EDIT*
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gfr-3021xlgwh/overview/

Thats the helmet that I use, except mine is the M2005 cert.

NHRA has updated their helmet rules. these are the 2014-2015 rule amendments.
I'm with Adder. I like an open face mainly because they're usually cheaper and you have better vision to see the tree. When I started out I used a motorcycle helmet, but I eventually got smart and went the safer route with an open faced SA helmet.

RichV

Reaction score
Also, since 2015 is a certification year, the M or SA2010 will be on sale. However, I don't know when the 2015 stuff will be out. If it's mid-year, or end of the year.

Addermk2

Reaction score
Also, since 2015 is a certification year, the M or SA2010 will be on sale. However, I don't know when the 2015 stuff will be out. If it's mid-year, or end of the year.

but SN2010 are good until 2022... so it doesnt much matter. Ill probably buy a 2015 when they are released.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online

No members online now.