Helmet

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
really motorcycle helmets are no good for a car? I would have guessed it to be the other way around.

Depends on the regulations - the ones Adder posted showed for a certain time bracket a M rated helmet was okay, anything faster or more likely to catch on fire and SA became required. Personally, I would just always run with a SA helmet since they are safer.

I know what you mean, you'd think a motorcycle helmet would be safer because you have no other "protection" - but the car ones are safer for just that reason: you are inside a box with a lot of hard things around you. On a motorcycle, you get thrown, and the helmet has to withstand a couple impacts max (you bouncing on the road). Inside a car, it's quite possible you will be jumbled around quite a bit (and maybe on fire) before you are possibly ejected. So the car ones actually have to withstand more potential impacts. At first though it's counter-intuitive.

Sinned83

Reaction score
forget all the arguing and bickering I can vouche for HJC lids they have saved my melon A time or two.

RichV

Reaction score
but SN2010 are good until 2022... so it doesnt much matter. Ill probably buy a 2015 when they are released.

I know when the 2010's came out, a lot of places put all their 2005 rated helmets for sale.

I did the open face when I was drag racing, but road racing you need a closed face. I've been hit with track debris in the face, open track and auto-x run with windows open for hand signals.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
^ this. We run closed face as well. If it's the first time you are wearing a closed face, you might feel a little confined. But you get used it to quickly. After several track events and lots of karting events, it feels natural to me.

Edit: Besides, only Jeremy Clarkson runs open face helmets ;) (j/k)

joekd

Reaction score
Too bad you aren't closer, I would just let you borrow one of mine

For drag use only I love the G force racing Phenom, under $200 and one of the most comfortable helmets I have ever used

BTW - don't buy anything under sa2010, while sa2005 can be found cheap you will only be buying a "temporary" helmet and find yourself shopping again next year

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online