Help a brother out: Performance mods or Exterior right now?!

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
I'm in a bit of a decision making dilemma guys. I'm really hard on myself at making decisions, I analyze all risks involved before I make them.

I really want to go faster as I'm tired of having a slow bolt on, geared Cobra but to go fast in these cars you've gotta have deep pockets. And patience lol, which I have neither. I was planning on spraying and praying with a built t45 but had some things that needed to be fixed ASAP on my DD yota pickup.
And now I feel as if I just don't really care but I think deep down inside I do care about going fast. I'm losing interest in the modding game due to how expensive these damn na 4vs are. Also, I feel like I want something else. Whether that be something boring like an S197 GT for comfort, newness, chick magnet car, or manning up and getting a loan for an 03/04 to meet all my requests.

But, as I'm not in the position to be buying a new car I think I'll just keep it and leave it be. But here is where I want your opinions, although the ultimate decision is mine.

Plan A: Longtubes, shorty h pipe, and install which is roughly $1200 all together. And pick up maybe 15whp and be enough to keep up with a bolt on LTs mach 1 sort of car. Kind of keep an edge on my friends cars haha. We were neck and neck before the he got LTs. Not that I'm butthurt but I want my old pile to keep up with cars a few years newer lol. Not sure if the hassle, nor cost are worth it.

Plan B: Just keep being slow and finish my exterior. 6k HIDs, yellow fog lights!, steeda X2 ball joints and remove bottom iso for a better stance, bump steer kit, alignment (that it really needs as it sits), and finally get my FLSFCs installed.

What would you do? I think Plan B would cost as much as Plan A. But what will bring the most satisfaction? I'm currently disappointed that my car isn't something people take a look at, but really its my car and not theirs.

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
This is what I'm working with:

68xw5g.jpg

I want a tad lower in the front.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Neither. Want to go fast in your 4v? Gears, blower, tune.

/thread

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
^What he said haha. Your car is sick dude. Do some gears, LT's and a blower if you got the $$. I'm kinda in the same boat. I want something newer like a 08-09 GT or 11 5.0

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Neither. Want to go fast in your 4v? Gears, blower, tune.

/thread
*** Build motor lol. Crucial step. Very expensive though. That's why I have those two plans laid out since its reasonable at the moment. But I almost feel LTs is a lot of money and won't really get me anywhere. Maybe I should just continue to save up. I have 4.10s already also.

^What he said haha. Your car is sick dude. Do some gears, LT's and a blower if you got the $$. I'm kinda in the same boat. I want something newer like a 08-09 GT or 11 5.0
Thanks man, I rarely hear that so it means a lot. I have 4.10s already. Haha if I could afford a blower I'd have one right now trust me. I want a blower but with that, a built transmission is needed. The T45 is weak.
Yeah, but do you want the newer GT to go fast or just to sound cool, look cool, be comfotable pick up chicks in? haha. That's sort of my dealio. I don't think I'd really care about going fast in one of those.

Idk maybe my reason is flawed.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah man we got the same reasons lol. My car gets attention now, but eventually I'd like to get something newer, mines almost 20 yrs old lol. I'd keep this 95 though

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
adding this

Plan B: Just keep being slow and finish my exterior. 6k HIDs, yellow fog lights!, steeda X2 ball joints and remove bottom iso for a better stance, bump steer kit, alignment (that it really needs as it sits), and finally get my FLSFCs installed.

to this

will honestly not give you a different look at all. It'll handle a bit better cause of the subframes but thats about it.
Removing the front isos sounds like a good idea though.

If you wanna go cheap, add a 100 shot or so and go have some fun.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
performance mods. your car looks great the way it is. :)

(PS. didnt read the thread. lol. looked at pic and posted. like a baws.)

Whistler98

Reaction score
The trans will hold the power of the blower if your not going to the track with sticky tires. Even then it would hold prob if you shift good. I had my 2v blown for years and the t45 held for a while. The subframes are a must. I am so made It took me so long to put them on. If I would have known how much better the car would have felt with them, I would have put them on much earlier.

greenscobie86

Reaction score
I dunno, car looks really really nice as is, the finishing touches you speak of will definitely set it off.

I'd do C-heads + some nice cams. Full exhaust and 4.10's. Do up your suspension too. Or like DeepList said, throw a blower on it to polish it all off.

That would be a lot of fun IMO, even if it won't be the fastest thing out there...

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Keep the boost around 10 to 12 lbs and it will be fine.
Well I wouldn't consider that as fast, but that's just me. Although I don't think I'd be bored with that set up around here. An 804whp 03 Cobra burst me speed bubble lol.

shortrunner, steeda underdrives, tune. remove ISO. subframe connectors.

best of all worlds
Good idea and I would get some of both. But I'll pass on the underdrives; I'm in AZ I need my accessories powered well. I had a shortrunner lined up and was about to send payment when the guy backed out :(

The trans will hold the power of the blower if your not going to the track with sticky tires. Even then it would hold prob if you shift good. I had my 2v blown for years and the t45 held for a while. The subframes are a must. I am so made It took me so long to put them on. If I would have known how much better the car would have felt with them, I would have put them on much earlier.
Yeah that is my take on it as well. Thanks for sharing your experience! That helps tremendously. No tracks here anymore, they closed down. With a 100 shot it would be a more dramatic hit on the transmission and it wouldn't last past spraying a handful of times lol. You don't say? Then I really need to find a shop to weld these suckers on! I was about to have it done for $300?!?! When I decided it was too much money they were about to start welding. And guess what? They weren't using a drive on lift to load the suspension :deeplist:

Yeah man we got the same reasons lol. My car gets attention now, but eventually I'd like to get something newer, mines almost 20 yrs old lol. I'd keep this 95 though
Damn yeah, lets just get new cars man!

Ferocious: Well it won't change the look of it per say, but it will give me a better stance. Cool JDM fresh yellow fogs would be cool haha. 100 shot was my plan, but I can't afford a built T45 right now along with a nitrous kit. Trust me, the stock t45 will not handle more than a handful of sprays. Its too much sudden stress. That's why I have strayed away from that. Blowers are damn expensive with injectors, pump, and tune. Damn sounds like I'm whining haha.

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
I dunno, car looks really really nice as is, the finishing touches you speak of will definitely set it off.

I'd do C-heads + some nice cams. Full exhaust and 4.10's. Do up your suspension too. Or like DeepList said, throw a blower on it to polish it all off.

That would be a lot of fun IMO, even if it won't be the fastest thing out there...
Thanks, and I agree. It will look better with a little more drop. But it might even turn out to be marginal. I might try removing the front lower ISO, as it seems it is the one that has the greatest effect. I already have the upper out. Should have done it at the same damn time lol.

C head swap, cams, 4.10s and LTs would be one hell of an NA Cobra! That's the dream, but that's dreams only money can buy lol. Those would be long term goals. I'm talking short term stuff that I can do right now. I like the blower idea as its the cheapest and easiest but I can't fit those shoes right now.
Which is why I listed those options in the OP. I'm considering dropping the hammer on the LTs, midpipe since I love NA power and it will keep me happy for the rest of the year. But if so, the FLSFCs will have to wait a few months which is okay.

I'm not looking to be the fastest out, I just sort of want to be in the same ball park as some of my friends with 300whp. But a 100 shot or a blower would allow me to play with some of the adolescents, not the big boys yet haha. If that analogy makes sense.

Whistler98

Reaction score
I had my buddy put mine on without a drive on lift. He does a bunch of cars this way. Now in his new shop I think he is getting a drive on lift. I didn't put them on for nearly 6 years because I couldn't find anybody that could weld good with a drive on lift. lol. I have seen him weld them on Termi's and guys cars that have spent a ton of money so I said just weld them. Car rides and handles sooooo much better is all I know.

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
Sometimes you can find a good set of termy heads for a decent price. Might put you over your 1200 budget.. But if you would notice a big difference with those and LTS..

Otherwise. Dont do U/Ds. Go with a shortrunner(is your car DD? otherwise PM NA SVT on SVTP, he does the best ones and has them lying there so he can send you one and once its installed you send him yours to replace it).. So shortrunner, LTs, Alum driveshaft, remove ISOS, MM SFCs, retune.

Otherwise a C head swap with LTs would be a good route..

Also as everyone says our cars can handle a blower just fine. Just dont plan on pushing 450+ to the wheels. 400 is more realistic and safe. And the T-45 can hold it. Just depending on milage and how often you beat the crap out of it.

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Sometimes you can find a good set of termy heads for a decent price. Might put you over your 1200 budget.. But if you would notice a big difference with those and LTS..

Otherwise. Dont do U/Ds. Go with a shortrunner(is your car DD? otherwise PM NA SVT on SVTP, he does the best ones and has them lying there so he can send you one and once its installed you send him yours to replace it).. So shortrunner, LTs, Alum driveshaft, remove ISOS, MM SFCs, retune.

Otherwise a C head swap with LTs would be a good route..

Also as everyone says our cars can handle a blower just fine. Just dont plan on pushing 450+ to the wheels. 400 is more realistic and safe. And the T-45 can hold it. Just depending on milage and how often you beat the crap out of it.
Well, first off: I'm well aware of a lot of the things you mentioned haha. Its not like this is my first time every thinking about modding lol. I've been researching mods for these cars for a few years. Just wanted to make that clear since it seems a lot of the replies are about how to mod per say.

C head swap, with comp cams, LTs, is the dream! That's a stout 350+whp car. But that's not until later down the road. A blower would be an easy way out but cost just as much if not more.

I'm definitely not doing U/D pulleys. I'm in AZ I need all my accessories working at 100% lol. No its not a DD. I spent $3500ish on a DD and am sort of regretting it because I could have the Cobra blown with LTs and all the works by now. Not to mention, my parents have a spare vehicle that I could DD as long as I pay the gas. I have already talked to NA svt and he only recommends the SRI for NA cars. He says the stock set up works better for SC and nitrous cars. I was going to pick one up from a guy on svtp but he backed out. Also, I already have an aluminum driveshaft.

If I get a SC I would only be looking to push 400whp. I'm not interested in more with the stock internals. I've seen that the T45 can handle a blower but can't handle a 100 shot for very long. I thought about getting a built t45 from t45source but doesn't fit in my budget with a nitrous kit all at once.

I had my buddy put mine on without a drive on lift. He does a bunch of cars this way. Now in his new shop I think he is getting a drive on lift. I didn't put them on for nearly 6 years because I couldn't find anybody that could weld good with a drive on lift. lol. I have seen him weld them on Termi's and guys cars that have spent a ton of money so I said just weld them. Car rides and handles sooooo much better is all I know.
Well I'm sure it can be done that way but its not the best way. It should definitely be on a drive on lift so that the suspension is loaded when they are welded on. Interesting though. I have had mine for almost a year haha. Been too lazy to pay someone to do it.

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
So now I have a lead on a cheap P1SC procharger. Apparently it was on a guys GT, but due to being in the military and moving around a lot he couldn't keep it. He is selling it for $500 to my friend, who in turn wants to make a bit of profit off of it. Says its complete but will confirm soon. Says it should just need injectors and fuel pump, but its for a GT so I'm sure Ill need a new bracket and tubing? I looked on superchargers online and procharger sites but can't confirm the brackets. It just lists them for 96-99 4.6, no mention of 2v or 4v. Not sure if they have the same mounting points or not.

Whistler98

Reaction score
The 4v's may have the same mounting points. I would call procharger. They were very helpful when I had a question for them.

93blucoupe

Reaction score
I think the car looks good as it sits. I would ad a blower and enjoy driving it. I'm not sure what differences there are between the termi engine and yours but you might be able to put the termi blower on your engine, I've seen them for sale cheap and with some port work it would definitely boost the power output.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online