Help an indecisive person make a transmission choice

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
T-45 in my 98 is about done. I hate it and I want to set it on fire (the trans)

Options:

1 - Aftermarket T-56 2 hours away with supposedly 20k miles on it for $1500. Comes with bell/yoke and has a mechanical speedo. 2.97 first gear ratio, .62 final. Would need the AJE crossmember, new shifter and a shop to shorten my DS so figure right near $2k total. Not entirely sold on a used trans although it is still in the guy's car so I can test drive it. Does not guarantee anything though unless I see him pull it immediately afterwards.

2 - Ebay T3650 stock rebuild@ $1k shipped. Seller claims all TSBs were done and they have a 100% positive rating. Another forum goer directed me to them and claims his trans shifted fine. Would need a new shifter and an extended range speedcal for this option so figure $1200 after I sell my regular speedcal and tri-ax.

3 - Upgraded 3650 @ $1500 shipped. Trans shop is known to build great transmissions, can guarantee .62 overdrive, all TSBs complied with, bronze pads on the forks. Need a new shifter and extended range speedcal for this too so figure $1700.

4 - t45source rebuild of my t45. This was my original choice but by the time I get done with shipping both ways its going to be $1800 so I started looking at a few other options.

5 - Final and most thought provoking option (IMO) is a stock T-5 behind a QT bellhousing. QT bell is $600, 94/95 spec T-5 is $700 shipped to my door, McCleod T-5 spacer to put T-5 farther back where it needs to be is $200. Can find a 28 spline yoke anywhere for free or close to it. This is the weakest option but also has the benefits of a scattershield, less weight/parasitic loss, non-integrated bellhousing (like the T-56) and I can upgrade to an A5 later on. I have also NEVER had a Mustang trans shift for me as well as the T-5s in my 91 and 95 did.

Anyway, anyone have any opinions on this? Probably overthinking it honestly...

edit: Option 6 would be to find a clean 4R75w, throw a Freakshow stall in front of it and get a MVB from Silverfox... Probably also be right around the $1500 mark and will also hold more power than any of the others by a long way.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
If it was me I'd find a t45 core and get t45 source to get her done

OP
OP
S

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
That is the most plug and play option. Only problem I have is the integrated bellhousing. 26 spline input plus the bell delete plate is another $700-$800 to bring it to near $3k shipped and at that point I might as well buy a Magnum. Although I hear Zak's transmissions shift like a dream. This is the only bad thing about having a Mustang... too many options sometimes...

the.greg

Reaction score
+1 for T45 Source. I had very good experience with them and his level of customer service is top notch.

OP
OP
S

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Lol that's 2. I know I'd get the best service and a great trans from the T45source but I listed why I have reservations getting it built up. I am going to want/need a scattershield eventually and by the time I do the delete plate and 26 spline it will cost what a Magnum would and that is before the bell. You guys think a Zak built t45 is worth a Magnum? Honestly I had kind of written off the t45 simply because of the lack of parts/aftermarket gears for it. I'm not doubting the quality or how well it would shift at all, just the t45 itself.

Actually I should probably call Hanlon too, they are 1.5 hours from me... derp...

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
OP
OP
S

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
I appreciate the link but I'm not interested in anyone but t45source if I get my t45 rebuilt. Probably going to test out that T-56 next weekend if the guy still has it and then go from there. Today would have been a perfect day to test drive but going up through northern NJ and NYC on the day of the Super Bowl... no...

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
Oh, sorry, I was keeping it budget friendly.

I don't even know if they do rebuilds, well I guess they rebuild the exchanged cores, but no prob!

OP
OP
S

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Yeah for a budget I'd just get the 3650 from the evilbays which I listed even if I do have to buy an extended range speedcal and shifter. They are $895 plus around $150 shipped to my residence. Sell my Tri-ax for $100 and my speedcal for $75 to cover the shipping and then get a 3650 shifter and extended range speedcal to get everything working for around $1300.

That option is actually looking better and better... If the T-56 sucks anyway. The extra $200 for the T-56 would be worth it IMO even if I still have to buy the AJE x-member and get my DS shortened. It comes with a stock shifter so I'd be ok with a tri-ax handle for a bit.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Silverfox is who I'm going to have build my 4r70w so thats a good option if your tired of rowing your own gears.

I do consider going T-56 from time to time though.

castine917

Reaction score
Look into a Keisler T45.
They all fix the reverse issue. My 97 had it bad.

http://dev.keislerauto.com/vmchk/ford/unmodified-transmissions/t45-5-speed/view-all-products.html

with different ratings, and most if not all have a 33% 5th reduction.

I was very pleased with mine when I bought it, great customer service as well.
I got the 350 TQ spec one for my 5.4.

I know for a fact I will be ordering from them when mine starts giving me any issues.

Just another idea.
They are out of business currently. Filed chapter 7. Shafi has been sending emails out.

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
oh wow, they should probably take the website down haha.

Well it was a good transmission lol

ryclef331

Reaction score
I don't know what your power level is aside from what is in your signature but comparing T45/T5 to ANYTHING Magnum....is well...there is no comparison. The best build t45/t5 struggle to hold the power that a T56 Magnum will hold. Figure out where you ULTIMATELY want to end up. Get a stock replacement t45 and toss it in there until you save the dough to put what you want in there. IF you have to choose. Option 1. The support for the T56 expands much further than the T5/T45/TR3650 any day of the weak.

OP
OP
S

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Well here is where I am right meow and I still need to hear back from Hanlon because if they tell me a rebuild of my t45 is going to be like $800 or something... that will be hard to pass up.

I found another T-56 near me for $1800. It is out of a Terminator with 19k on it so it has the 2.66 first gear which I'm not totally sure about with a NA 2V even though I do plan on putting a Tork Tech on it relatively soon. You know how those plans always go... Why it is so enticing is it comes with a 26 spline input, Centerforce 26 spline DFX clutch with 5k, bell, yoke, aluminum flywheel (my motor is a 99 so it has the 8 bolt crank ftw) ,aftermarket shifter and its owned by an older guy. For $1800 I pretty much have a bulletproof trans up to 600whp, maybe more. Only problem is its not in the car so no way of guarandamnteeing its good. I would also still need a crossmember and $120 to shorten my DS so another $300 on top of that takes the whole swap kit to $2100 which is damn good if you ask me. I can sell my trans, clutch, flywheel and shifter to probably make back $500 or so of that price. Only thing is that 2.66 first gear but I think it might be a better futureproofing option than the 2.97 when I get up to the 400hp range with the low end a tork tech will provide. Gearset it the close ratio of 266/178/130/1/80/62.

The first T-56 I listed is still in the car, 10 spline input so I can throw it right in without any clutch or flywheel mods. Its an aftermarket with a mechanical input, stock shifter, bell, yoke and a 297/207/143/1/80/62 gearset. I've a few ppl talk about the 297 gearsets being weak which is the first I had heard of this but it makes me a little leery. Price is $1500 and would still need the crossmember and DS shortened so $1800 for that swap. However I would not get the 26 spline, the clutch, aluminum flywheel or shifter. I would be able to test drive this car and see how the trans is which is a bonus but the drive is over an hour and a half each way which kind of sucks. Then I will have to do it again to pick up the trans.

The last option is the bone ass stock rebuilt 3650 from the evilbays that the shop claims all the TSBs are done to. Most likely a .62 final drive ratio but might be a .68 which honestly has less of a fall off from the 4th gear and might be better. I plan on dropping to 3.27 or even 3.08 rear gears if I stick with the 3650 or t45 ratios so either overdrive will be very deep. I get it to my door for $1070 shipped. Over $1k less than the T-56 with the 26 spline shaft an all the goodies. This trans is a 99% bolt in. Just need a 3650 shifter and get an extended range speedcal. Could sell my trans and shifter to cover that stuff and probably have it all installed for $1k when all is said and done. I do wonder why they are so cheap but I have a few good reviews on the shop from guys who bought 3650s from them last tax season and they're fine... I feel this is the smartest decision but also that I would be kicking myself for passing up on two very good local deals on T-56s. Especially because I would probably be paying more in the long run to get it built or to sell it and buy a Magnum or whatever.

OP
OP
S

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Aaaannnnnddd Hanlon finally got their power back. Called and its going to be $850-$1k to totally go through and rebuild my t45. Can't justify paying over $1k more for a 260hp car, not now. T45 with the 10 spline and Hanlon rebuild will hold as much as the stock bottom end will. When/if I build the Teksid I can order a Magnum then spec'd out to whatever gears I want and all the right mods done straight from Astro.

OP
OP
S

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Upon further review I went ahead and ordered the evilbays 3650. $1075 shipped to my door truck freight. 60 day warranty, seller has 100% feedback over 2k+ transactions and all TSBs are done. Hopefully its the .62 overdrive but if not the .68 will be fine too since I'm going to put 3.08s in it when it gets the Tork Tech. 3.08x3.37 = 10.3:1 overall first gear ratio which is spot on.

There is still one left actually if anyone else wants a screaming good deal. Now I just gots to get an extended range speedcal and a 3650 shifter. Finally going to have a car with a MGW in it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online