Help before I smash something.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Long story short. Sub keeps turning off. I have rockford fosgate punch speakers hooked up to my Alpine deck, arc audio 4100se amp, JL 10" I just got. It stopped working even with my old subs.. Audio shop replaced the inline fuse holder with an upgraded one, and an 80 amp fuse. It works, then stops. All the wiring is perfect.. I personally traced every single wire. That fuse keeps popping. Should I try a 90 amp and see what happens?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
How about giving us a rundown of the entire system. Including wire sizes for the pwr anf gnds.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Car audio? Not the greatest troubleshooter... Speaking as an electrician you could have voltage going to ground causing the fuse to blow. Which is annoying but the alternative is burning that Mustang to the ground. (if that's the case) Check all connections at the amp, fuse holder, bulkhead fittings [etc] that could have an errant strand, a spot that overheated or worn cable insulation around tight bends.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Car audio? Not the greatest troubleshooter... Speaking as an electrician you could have voltage going to ground causing the fuse to blow. Which is annoying but the alternative is burning that Mustang to the ground. (if that's the case) Check all connections at the amp, fuse holder, bulkhead fittings [etc] that could have an errant strand, a spot that overheated or worn cable insulation around tight bends.

Checked every inch of every wire brotha. No kinks, no burns, no nada

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
How about giving us a rundown of the entire system. Including wire sizes for the pwr anf gnds.

10 or 12 gauge speaker wire for the sub to amp connection. I forgot, buts its thick. The rest idk. Shop did it years ago

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
If the fuse is blowing immediately, you have a short somewhere. If the fuse takes some time to blow, you have a ground fault.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Probably gonna have to crack the amp open and look for trouble Or return it for a replacement

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
If the fuse is blowing immediately, you have a short somewhere. If the fuse takes some time to blow, you have a ground fault.

Takes some time. I'll have to bring it to them and see what the issue is.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Probably gonna have to crack the amp open and look for trouble Or return it for a replacement

I've had the amp for a few years. I paid no where near retail. Replacement is out of the question for this amp.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
sorry I missed this. You say its shutting off, does that mean its blowing a fuse, the amp is staying on but not playing any sound, or that it is completely loosing power but the fuse is exposed? It could be as simple as an incorrect sub wired to the amp causing it to draw too much current, get too hot and going into a themal protection mode. Often when this happens the amp will stay on, sometimes there is a light that will come on while it shuts down till it cools enough to power back up.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yes. Unfortunatly for the same old reason that I have been sitting in the hospital. Its good news that its not me that's sick, I am there helping and visiting my mom. And when I have not been with her I have been helping my dad around getting ready for surgery as he gets a hip replacement tomorrow... So its just been from one dr to another. its funny that I realized yesterday that I had never gone in the front/main entrance to the hospital as I was always in the ER.

I will check back on this later. DO NOT PUT A LARGER FUSE IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need to know the model or better yet if you know if the woofer is a single/dual voice coil and the impedance/ohms rating of the coils. Once I know the amp/sub are good for each other there are some tests we can do to narrow down what the problem is.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I didn't change the fuse, my dad said that would be a bad idea. Originally I had 2- 10" JBLs hooked up to this ARC Audio 4100SE, it was
bridged on one channel, I think thats the correct term. The wire was of very thin gauge. The setup worked well for 2 years, then my subs stopped working. I figured they were blown, they weren't. I disconnected the subs and amp, didn't use it for 8 months. So I wanted to upgrade to a single sub, link included below. I bought 12 gauge wire and hooked the sub up to the amp, and re-wired the amp to exactly how they set it up originally. I took a picture and kept it, so I'd know what went where when the time came. Amp has power, but again, sub wouldn't turn on. Turns out the inline fuse was blown. They threw a new fuse in, worked for about half a mile, and it turned off. Went back, they put an upgraded fuse holder on with the box housing the 80amp fuse. Worked fine. Then stopped.. Pulled the fuse and inspected it, wasn't blown so I put it back in. Again, worked fine. But whenever I would play music via bluetooth on my phone, sub wouldn't work.. I'd go to a cd, and it worked, stopped.. Now it won't turn on at all. The sub itself has one hook up per cable (positive and negative) - nothing else. I had the stereo place check the wiring, and they said it was all proper.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136110WXV2/JL-Audio-CS110-WXv2.html?tp=112
http://www.arcaudio.com/p/se-4100

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
they added a fuse holder on the box? Can you get a pic of all this and again what is the new sub you replaced it with?

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
they added a fuse holder on the box? Can you get a pic of all this and again what is the new sub you replaced it with?

Yessir. They put a fuse holder on when they first did the install years ago. Now they cut off the old one, put an upgraded one on. The new sub is in the link above, should be a crutchfield link. I can get pics

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The fuse is supposed to be with in 12"of the battery is why I asked. If there is not one up there and they installed this entire system and now the fuse holder on the box then there is absolutely no need to go back as they must not know what they are doing. Again if you can get the model of the sub, it could just be that simple.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Well I'm shot.. Old deck was an Alpine, new one is a Kenwood I put in after Christmas. Just a note, subs & new sub wouldn't work with either radio. [/COLOR
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)][/COLOR]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online