Help car failed emmisions

OP
OP
H

hottwheels04

Reaction score
have the alt and battery tested. one of them is going bad, likely the alt.
The fuel smell could be coming from the charcol canister in the passenger fender.

where is the canister? I know the perg /valve thing is above the intake manifold near the tb / firewall near the obd emmisions port on the harness/ its little black canister with vaccum hose ? but the charcol canister is under the fender ? I cant see it the smell and sound is near the firewall near this http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1995/ford/mustang/air_intake/purge_valve.html

if its the canister or this wouldnt my check engine light be on ? im so confused and cant find anything wrong with any of the things they list for car having high HC'S

http://www.themustangnews.com/content/2013/04/fix-sn-95-mustang-gasoline-odor-issue/#.VTavOtJVhHx

OP
OP
H

hottwheels04

Reaction score
well the battery is fine the alternator seems to be not putting out the right volts at idle so do you think this is why i smell fuel and is running rich at idle and the temp gauge is bounching around near HOT and volt gauge drops down to 10-12 and the battery lights blinks. I was told its not putting out the right volts it wil make the computer pcm go into" loop" mode and it will over compensate for fuel and dump more fuel hence it having the fuel smell and hence me failing emmisions for the hydrocarbons?

BOOOSTD

Reaction score
The charcoal canister is in the passenger side fender; remove the plastic wheel well and u will see it

87hurricane

Reaction score
What kind of voltage is the alt putting out at idle? Do you have under drive pulleys? Sounds to me like the car is adding fuel for a lean condition, which could be due to a number of issues. If its adding enough fuel it can and will kill your cats, which will not throw a check engine light because our OBD1 computer has no cat monitor. I would check for vac leaks again, make sure you check the PCV line on the back side of the intake. If everything looks good there, check TPS voltage and MAF voltage.

OP
OP
H

hottwheels04

Reaction score
well My buddy just checked the car out he said hes going to put a new ground wire on it, he saw sparks, and my intake gasket is leaking so going to replace both of those things/ do you guys think if I do that it should fix my problem?

87hurricane

Reaction score
Its certainly a good start. Intake leaks will real havoc on runabilty, especially at idle, and so will a poor ground.

OP
OP
H

hottwheels04

Reaction score
well i fixed that been driving it past week to put miles on it to bring it back for emmisions and a new problem has started,it stalls alot and have trouble starting it, it will be fine if you start it and drive it or when in neutral, but when you go to slow down or come to a stop in 1st gear or reverse, you put the clutch in and foot on the brake while in gear and it stalls and then only way I can have it not stall is I have to rev it or getting going or put it in neutral, and once it stalls and if you try to start it only way I can get it to start is I have to have my foot on the gas all the way to the floor otherwise is doesnt want to start. I was told sounds like fuel problem or clutch, or maf, I adjusted the clutch with the firewall adjuster to see if that maybe the clutch isnt disengaging which is why even with the clutch in when in gear and foot on the brake the car wants to idle down and stall.

87hurricane

Reaction score
If you have the car in neutral with the clutch pushed in, and you put it in gear, it is difficult, or do the gears grind? If not, its probably not the clutch.

OP
OP
H

hottwheels04

Reaction score
have you done a base idle reset?
I did this seemed to work for the most part along with adjusting the clutch, but I have to put the ilde lower now it idles high 1,000-1,100 rpms. Now I passed emissions I think I want to lower it between 800-1000, I think 900 is perfect. thanks

OP
OP
H

hottwheels04

Reaction score
If you have the car in neutral with the clutch pushed in, and you put it in gear, it is difficult, or do the gears grind? If not, its probably not the clutch.

Thanks, Yeah well I did both together seemed to do the trick I passed emissions finally, now i just need to fine tune and adjust the clutch some more and get the idle lower now. should be good to go!

OP
OP
H

hottwheels04

Reaction score
Thanks everybody for the help these past 2 months! 2 months of nightmare to get this thing to pass , over 15 hours into getting the car to finally pass countless people to look it over and your guys advice and finally 3 times the charm lol thank god its over lol good for another 2 years lol

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for the help these past 2 months! 2 months of nightmare to get this thing to pass , over 15 hours into getting the car to finally pass countless people to look it over and your guys advice and finally 3 times the charm lol thank god its over lol good for another 2 years lol

What did you have to do so it would pass?

OP
OP
H

hottwheels04

Reaction score
What did you have to do so it would pass?

Oh sorry you must of missed my postabout it, i had several people look it over couldnt find anything wrong, so I had a local mustang guy take it apart, I started myself with the basics by replacing the cap and rotor and plugs / wires ) )tune up) checked for vaccum leaks didnt find any but I could hear a loud air sounds /noise coming from the throttle body / intake area, so I knew I had a leak somewhere and i could smell fuel but all the hoses looked fine and gaskets, no check engine light no codes , car ran / drove idled fine. So I dropped it off at a mustang shop.

They pulled the upper intake off, said the gasket was fine and hoses were fine so no vaccum leaks, then he decided to take the intake all the way off good thing he did, the intake is a lower gasket with a spacer and then gasket ontop for upper gasket to the upper intake. so he found the lower gasket under the plenum /spacer was destroyed, so the ecu was overcompensating for unmetered air and was making the car run rich. Then he figured out my electrical problem the starter and battery and alternator are all brand new within in the past months, so didnt think it was that but he checked anyways, He replaced all the ground wires, found a ground wire under the radiator that has never been touched, so replaced that. and the car passed.

And I did a idle reset and adjusted my clutch and it stopped stalling and having trouble starting.