Help car failed emmisions

hottwheels04

Reaction score
Like title states my 95 mustang failed emmissions, says " asm results FAIL" emission readings hydrocarbons(HC) 98ppm emmissions limit 60ppm. so im over by 38ppm whatever that means?

I did quick google search and it lists 5 things it could be, thing is car has no check engine light and runs fine, car has cats and is tuned. passed emmisions ever since ive owned the car in 2005, havent changed anything besides my battery and starter its been same exaust etc since 2011, and last time it passed fine.

this quick list says what it could be http://www.smogtips.com/failed-high-hydrocarbons-HC.cfm

wanted to see what peoples input is I have 60 days to fix it and bring it back.

OP
OP
H

hottwheels04

Reaction score
What were your CO and NOX?

everything else was good passed, only thing i failed was that hc

My carbon (co) was 0.00% allowed limit would be 0.32% my nox was 248ppm limit is 700ppm

so I passed on those others, just failed on hydrocarbons(hc) 98ppm limit 60ppm

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Set your timing to 10* and pull the spout connector.
Don't pull the spout at the testing facility though. Just stop around the corner, pull the spout, drive to the sniffer. The car will run fine below 3000 rpm's. After you pass, drive back around the corner again and reinstall the spout.
I've done that for the past 5 years, the car will pass like it's not even running.

OP
OP
H

hottwheels04

Reaction score
Set your timing to 10* and pull the spout connector.
Don't pull the spout at the testing facility though. Just stop around the corner, pull the spout, drive to the sniffer. The car will run fine below 3000 rpm's. After you pass, drive back around the corner again and reinstall the spout.
I've done that for the past 5 years, the car will pass like it's not even running.

lol awesome thanks, if i have to ill try it ,but i kno somethng is wrong with my car now, i drove it and i think i have a few things wrong with it , i can hear rattle like exaust, and i smell fuel like it is running rich, not sure if thats because it was sitting all winter and battery was dead i had to put a new one in, I kno these cars are picky and the computer has to "relearn" and takes a while and miles to relearn

OP
OP
H

hottwheels04

Reaction score
I also notiched i went under the hood after driving it home i let it sit, I hear a hiss whine noise, im starting to think its a vaccum leak ? or intake manifold gasket? would that cause this problem ? not sure what else to check i looekd for vaccum leak the hoses look fine

OP
OP
H

hottwheels04

Reaction score
What were your CO and NOX?

I saw this online HC Failure is the result of incomplete combustion. Any item that causes incomplete combustion can result in high HC. The most common causes are:
Worn spark plugs
– Defective spark plug wires
– Worn distributor cap and/or rotor
– Improper ignition timing, usually over advanced
– Vacuum leaks
– Engine mechanical failure, low compression, worn valves, excessive oil consumption
I'm thinking its the intake manifold gasket? would that cause the proble, / vaccum leak to fail emmisions even though nocheck engine light is on ? and car seems to run fine no power loss etc. I can hear noise in engine bay. the distributor is new and the spark plugs are new in the last 6 months and wires the motor was just rebuilt last summer has been fine.

OP
OP
H

hottwheels04

Reaction score
now im thinking this is the problem, look at the terminals on the cap? inside cap looks bad gonna replace it, but what about the rotor heres some pics?

OP
OP
H

hottwheels04

Reaction score
I don't see no pics.

sorry im trying to get it to work my dam smartphone is a pos, im doing it on my computer easier to upload to my email open on my pc then put on photobucket lol 1 sec thanks

OP
OP
H

hottwheels04

Reaction score
coil and plugs and wires are new only like 6 months old, so was like hmm the distributor doesnt have many miles on it, its few years old but let me check so i decided to look and thats alot of carbon build up on the terminals it looks like to me wow so you guys think just replace the cap? rotor doesnt look to bad? should fix the problem?

OP
OP
H

hottwheels04

Reaction score
i cleaned up the rotor, seems to run better, but dont think it fixed the problem, I dont smell a fuel problem, I changed the oil fresh tank of gas, but I can see hear a noise near the intake, checked vaccum hoses look fine, but I think it might be the upper intake gasket is leaking?

OP
OP
H

hottwheels04

Reaction score
but my ? is if it was vac leak / intake mani etc wouldnt it throw the check engine light or idle rough? it doesnt idle rough starts fine, doesnt buck and no light. or code

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
A manifold vac leak usually causes a surging idle because the engine is trying to compensate for the unmetered air.
IDK where the hissing sound is coming from but I don't think you have an intake vacuum leak. Not saying it isn't somewhere else.

cameron57

Reaction score
Spray brake clean or carb clean on anywhere you think it has a vaccumm leak while runinng. If idle increases you have found your leak.

OP
OP
H

hottwheels04

Reaction score
Spray brake clean or carb clean on anywhere you think it has a vaccumm leak while runinng. If idle increases you have found your leak.

thanks yeah i have to try that and im buying a new distributor cap and rotor hope it does the trick

OP
OP
H

hottwheels04

Reaction score
update, still cant figure out whats wrong with it , didnt find a vaccum leak or intake gakset leak, installed new cap and rotor, checked plugs and wires still runs the same, idles and starts drive good, but you can smell raw or rich fuel in engine bay, all the injectors look fine no leaks, I'm clueless to what it is now, timing is fine.car was tune last summer was running fine over fall sat over winter but was started all the time ,and drove it once and while when we had a nice winter day with no snow lol the car runs hot i can hear noise near the cat, but the car has no check engine light or no smell etc of tell tale sign cat is no good? and the mid pipe cats are a year old if that.

OP
OP
H

hottwheels04

Reaction score
other update pic below, I'm going to check the alternator, what else could cause this? bad ecu? i replaced the starter and battery over winter , checked all the connections the ground wires look fine. but when i first start the car the voltage is up in the half area or above after driving for 10 minutes or more and stop let it idle for more then few minutes thats when i notice the fuel / rich smell in the car and under engine bay or near the exaust. and the battery light blinks on and off the voltage drops, the temp gauges goes to "HOTT" and pings off it moves speratically all over the place, and the oil gauges goes all the way up. deff have electrical gremlin heres a pic notice the voltage gauge drop and temp gauge go up

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
have the alt and battery tested. one of them is going bad, likely the alt.
The fuel smell could be coming from the charcol canister in the passenger fender.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online