[HELP]Car surges after switch of midpipes

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
So, i switched midpipes many times before and this is 1ST time this has ever happened.

So, i had to swap my mac o/r H pipe out for my mac catted h and everything went as planned pretty much. Anyways, the car developed a nasty leak and surged after the midpipe install, but i took it for the emission test anyway and passed.

Fast forward to today i went and brought a new gasket from ford and put back on my Mac O/r H. The surging problem is still there

It happens when you take off from a stop. The 1st couple rpms the car is like bogging down and surging and you can hear it and feel it.

Downshifts than accelerating it the car is normal.
The only thing i messed with was the rear o2 sensors.

Does this sound like an exhaust leak somewhere? If so, i cant hear this baby.
What could a exhaust leak damage? The o2 sensors???
edit: while this was happening with the catted midpipe on.. there was no MIL OR CEL ON. NO CODES
I have stock headers, mac o/r H and mac catback. Already resetted the cpu by unplugging the battery.

Damn it.!

glittle75

Reaction score
do you have a tuner? or MIL's? if so stick them on, or turn the rear O2 sensors off in your tune. see if that helps. you may have bad 02 sensors that are messing with the a/f ratio.

to find out if you have an exhaust leak, go gehind you local grocery store (or long straight building) and roll the windows down. drive the car as close to the wall as you can and listen. you will definitly hear the smallest one if you have it this way.

an exhaust leak wont really cause it to idle or drive crazy. ive ran mine with open headers for a few miles and no problems.

you say you only messed with the rear O2's. im assuming you have longtubes? if not you would have had to remove all 4.

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
I dont a tuner or mils, but i been running the O/r H and catted h for over 2+ years with no problem. I will try the wall method =] Hope the cops dont think im fishy.

330CubeGt

Reaction score
Twista said:
I dont a tuner or mils, but i been running the O/r H and catted h for over 2+ years with no problem. I will try the wall method =] Hope the cops dont think im fishy.

I never heard of the wall method...

Start your car up cold, have someone hold a folded up rag (old shirt works good) over both tailpipes,lay on the ground next to your door and listen and if you have any leak at all you will hear it...

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
re-did the midpipe and still got the same problem =[ Its hesitates so bad down low @ random times.

FUCK man.

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
I just brought 4 new sensors, but there being shipped. So what would happen if i unplugged the sensors and test it? Or does the car need the sensor for it to operate somewhat properly?
Just wondering if i unplug the 2 front ones would the car drive normal if they are faulty?

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
I think i got the problem pin pointed, just i cant access the sensor. So i guess driving with the bad exhaust leak on the passenger side somehow sent the soot to my air flilter which is black and gunky nasty. So, with that said.. my MAF has to sooted to hell. I brought some MAF cleaner but i have to buy a t-20 female torx =[

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online