HELP! CEL and Manifold problem

97blackgt

Reaction score
when i took off my x pipe, to replace it with my stock h pipe so i could pass inspection, i stripped the passenger side bottom nut. Now i have a nice exhaust leak because only the top nut is tightened, and the bottom nut is basically sitting there. So any one ever have this problem or know of an easy fix? Im thinking about taking the starter out, and trying to get torches up there to cut the nut off. Then hopefully i can get a tap and dye set to slean the threads up and slide a new nut on.

OP
OP

97blackgt

Reaction score
i know someone here has HAD TO have had the same problem.

TTT

S

scarface

what exactly happened? Mine has studs into the manifold on that side ???

OP
OP

97blackgt

Reaction score
the manifold comes down on the passenger side...theres a gasket, and 2 studs...only one nut is holding the x pipe to the manifold because the other one is stripped, so i have to torch the nut..i was wondering if anyone else had this problem and how they fixed it? replace the stud? run a bolt through? rethread the stud?

yeah the CEL is on, because the exhaust leaks i beleibe, but i havent pulled the codes yet

S

scarface

heat up the stud with a torch. the whole stud can be turned out of the manifold, then you can replace it.

OP
OP

97blackgt

Reaction score
yeah thats what i was thinking...im wondering how much a stud would cost, and can it be turned out without having to drop anything else?

also would ford have a gasket/nut/stud in stock?

OP
OP

97blackgt

Reaction score
thanks bro...ill be working on it either tomorrow or weds.

im not too worried about the fix i just hope i can get all the parts.

S

scarface

97blackgt said:
yeah thats what i was thinking...im wondering how much a stud would cost, and can it be turned out without having to drop anything else?

also would ford have a gasket/nut/stud in stock?
they should... you can heat the stud up till its red and turn it out with vise grips.

OP
OP

97blackgt

Reaction score
hopefully they have all the parts.. then ill FINALLY get my car inspected

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online