Help Driving idle drops 3 to 1500 rpms 3 times then dies stalls wont restart.

hottwheels04

Reaction score
Like title states, I was driving my 95 gt on the highway it randomly drops from 3k rpms down to 1500rpms or around 2k rpms and back up and back down like random loss of power and surge idle up and down randomly did it 2 or 3 times with like random loss of powere rpms down up , I went to slow down to stop idle fine, and started moving as im driving the car dies no power. SO I pull over and I go to restart my car nothing, it just keeps trying to turn over but doesnt. doesnt click so not battery related doesnt sound like starter. was thinking spark or fuel related. Its been really cold here in CT below zero weather, the cars been sitting for over 1 month just randomly starting it and recharger trickle charger on my battery. it started up fine today ran fine. about after an Hour of driving i was doing about 70 in 5th gear it was near 3k rpms and out of nowhere it just like dropped rpms like as if i down shifted or upshifted to another gear. went back up did it 2 or 3 times. So i get off the highway soon as i slow down it just dies no power. So go to restarted it nothing. I let it sit it started up fine. drove about 1 mile did the same thing died again. and since 2nd time hasnt restarted. no battery clicking no sign of battery or starter related, so looks like its a running issue, being did it driving then died wont start but did 1 time after, So I belive spark or fuel related?. I primed the ignition key over several times I hear the fuel pump kick over but wont fully turn over it wants to but doesnt. So maybe spark ? not fuel. maybe bad gas or bad coil / distributor? any pointers. -THANKS-

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
I just put a new one in it so I was ruleing it out? what else could it be, I just replaced the tps and IAC sensors
I had issues for quite a bit with a fauly iac out of the box from parts store. Ended up being a used one that someone returned.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It’s the distributor. Our cars are notorious for it. Go to oreillyes and get a new replacement. There and there only!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

hottwheels04

Reaction score
It’s the distributor. Our cars are notorious for it. Go to oreillyes and get a new replacement. There and there only!!!

It could also be the little silver " Ignition" box on the firewall near the intake under the throttle body since it doesnt fully turn over? or could be the coil pack correct? I didnt see a spark from the distributor by eye or the coil! so It looks like to me could be any of the 3? but being i dont see spark on coil and distributor. I'm confused.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Pip module inside the distributor is what goes out. It controls the signal to the coil and to your fuel injectors. If when you turn the key the engine keeps turning but not firing that’s a good sign. The dropping off sharply is also a sign.

Mine started doing that once. I was driving just fine and suddenly it fell on its face then al of a sudden it was fine again. Did it randomly. Then it got to where it wouldn’t start sometimes, especially after I’d driven it for a while. Replaced the dizzy and poof!!!! It worked just fine. Again, it’s a very common problem with the factory dizzy and with a lot of parts store dizzys.

OP
OP
H

hottwheels04

Reaction score
Pip module inside the distributor is what goes out. It controls the signal to the coil and to your fuel injectors. If when you turn the key the engine keeps turning but not firing that’s a good sign. The dropping off sharply is also a sign.

Mine started doing that once. I was driving just fine and suddenly it fell on its face then al of a sudden it was fine again. Did it randomly. Then it got to where it wouldn’t start sometimes, especially after I’d driven it for a while. Replaced the dizzy and poof!!!! It worked just fine. Again, it’s a very common problem with the factory dizzy and with a lot of parts store dizzys.

K thanks deff will check it out hope that is it. I'm Running a msd blaster coil and msd dizzy and cap, the cap and coil is only 1-2 years old. the dizzy is maybe 4 years old at most. Figured I wouldnt have to deal with this going from Oem to msd. So Should I just go back to OEM motorcraft? any brands to stay away from or request?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, stay away from msd!!! They’re very unreliable for dizzys.

Go to oreilleys. Their dizzys have been the better one with least trouble.

OP
OP
H

hottwheels04

Reaction score
Yeah, stay away from msd!!! They’re very unreliable for dizzys.

Go to oreilleys. Their dizzys have been the better one with least trouble.

AT oreillys its there store brand? Wont they have several diffrent ones to choose from? Sorry just wonderng Dont want to get there and buy the wrong one

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Rich porter is what was always what they had that was as close to factory reliable. I’m not sure if they still use them. If not let me know and I could probably find mine. It’s practically new and o won’t need it since going coil over plug.

OP
OP
H

hottwheels04

Reaction score
Rich porter is what was always what they had that was as close to factory reliable. I’m not sure if they still use them. If not let me know and I could probably find mine. It’s practically new and o won’t need it since going coil over plug.

Ok thanks!

OP
OP
H

hottwheels04

Reaction score

Ended up not looking like either coil or distributor voltage came back good drive starts fine./ but now sitting all winter. I finally was able to drive it today first nice day for spring, So I replaced the black coil for iginition to distributor that is on the passenger side firewall under the intake. because coil next to and distributor looked fine. I was thinking maybe fuel pump. well today I drove it check engine light came on and then went off.

I made another new thread heres what I posted new codes came up the old ones are cleared. so I think i fixed the other problem I had in this thread. now looks like its fuel pump and 02 sensor voltage issue related.

ike title states check engine light came on stayed on for a little then randomly went off on its own and did not come back on. I scanned it with the obd1 scanned I get 6 codes. 10,121,176,511,542,543.

1995 for mustang gt 5.0

I'm thinking fuel pump is going bad? 2 codes 542and 543 are to do with fuel pump. 1 code is rom failure. one code is to do with voltage to high, 1 is to do with 02 sensor.

Codes definition are as follows:

10= n0 defition for it?

121= closed throttle voltage higher or lower then expected

176= hego)ho2s) sensor fault/always lean

511=read only memory (rom test failure)

542= fuel pump secondary circuit fault

543= fuel pump secondary circuit fault

What do you guys think ? where to go from here

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members