HELP E-brake

blackout95

Reaction score
Hey Folks,
First post,try not to laugh!
Anyway, Got up friday A.M. jumped in the 'stang. Needed to let the top up,so I went through the procedure.
As you know we have pull the E-brake. well, the motor wouldn't run so I pulled the E-brake a little harder.
Something popped and I have no resistence on the handle.
Please tell me if there is a common problem with the E-brake.
I looked under and didn't see anything hanging or anything laying on the ground.
Oh, the top did go up!
thanx folks

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
the cable that connects to the handle is somewhat fragile. so you probably pulled too hard. if you look down by your handle you'll probably see where it snapped.

ryclef331

Reaction score
you snapped the cable....for future reference though, if you lift that handle up...just the handle up enough to turn the "BRAKE" light in the dash on....thats all you need to drop the top. Pulling it harder doesn't do crap.

OP
OP
B

blackout95

Reaction score
Thanx for all the input.
has anyone replaced the cable,and how much trouble is it to do.
I need to know 'cuz it's hot out and I need to get all my ducks in a row.

eliyarbrough

Legend
Reaction score
Every time I lower or raise my top I just barely engage it. For the fact of yours exactly!! Hope you get it fixed!!!

skidude69

Reaction score
It isn’t too bad if it is after the cable equalizer, AutoZone has the repair guide for 94-98 Mustangs on line at http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1d/e0/e9/0900823d801de0e9/repairInfoPages.htm

The worst part is if it broke before the equalizer then the spring tensioner on the handle mechanism may have released all the spring tension. Hopefully that isn’t the case and you have enough cable left to have someone help you pull on it and get a pin in the little hole before you replace whatever part of the cable that went bad.

stanger2125

Reaction score
Hey man, what a drag, hun... There was recall on the e-brake on mine. I have 96, but check with your dealership. Maybe you could get it replaced free like I did. ;)

OP
OP
B

blackout95

Reaction score
OK I finally got to work on my car today. I broke the first cable. So the spring has lost all tension.
Do I need to go to the junkyard and find one thats not broke (E-Brake and all.) or buy a new cable and try to rewind my spring.
If I can find one in the junkyard,will a'94-'04 work?

skidude69

Reaction score
Just buy the cable and use something to put the tension back into the spring. I was able to use a lightweight ratchet strap and an S hook on the e-brake "pulley" and got it to where I could put the cable back into the notch. If you look at it you should be able to figure something out it isn't that hard once you think it through.

Any e-brake handle through 04 should work ok, the 94-98 didn't have the leather boot so you would have to adapt your console a little bit.

When you go to put it back together use the tension reset piece on the top of the handle to pull the brake all the way to the top with no tension on it.

OP
OP
B

blackout95

Reaction score
Hi everyone just followup I went ahead and bought a handle and cable out of a wrecked mustang.
plan on putting it in tomorrow.

Anrev

Reaction score
While your at it check the adjustment on your brake handle switch. I have to fiddle with my brake handle to get the light to come so I can raise and lower my top. Need to get in there and fix it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online