Help finding major coolant leak on '96 GT 4.6 2V

olympic

Reaction score
Hi. Nothing like the unexpected smell of anti-freeze quickly followed by the low coolant idiot light. Just happened and lucky just a mile or so from home so she's in the garage cooling off. Need to figure out where she's leaking. Here is what I can see. It's worse on the passenger side than the driver side. Upper radiator hose and radiator are dry. This is on my 1996 Mustang GT 4.6 2V.

On the drivers side there is coolant puddled at the base of the thermostat housing and in the first three fuel injector wells. No signs of where it's leaking from just that coolant puddles present in those places.

On the passenger side there is coolant spray on the air induction hose as well as the neighboring areas and some on the underside of the hood mat. There is coolant located in the coolant/temp sensor housing and also in the fuel injection wells on the passenger side.

What surprised me is after it has now sat for a few minutes is I have coolant all under the car clear back to the rear bumper. Nothing in front, but it is pretty apparent from the front cats all the way back to the rear bumper.

I checked the oil and it looks fine (no signs of coolant in the oil).

So, something let go pretty fast and pretty major to run it that far back. I don't believe it was an existing issue because drove it about 20 miles earlier today and no anti-freeze smell and no coolant on garage floor. I'll let it cool a bit longer and then will put it up on stands to see if I can identify anything further from underneath. The car has just 23,000 miles on it (yep, very low miles). I've been driving it pretty regularly here so far this summer and it just went a few days ago on a 2 hour round trip without issues.

I did notice something that I hadn't noticed before. On the temp / coolant sensor housing there is a threaded hole that nothing is screwed into (it's on the top front of the housing). Should something be in that? I don't think it's related but wanted to mention that in hopes of finding out if that is normal.

Hopefully I'll have a better idea when I get it up in the air but not seeing immediately where the obvious cause is because it's odd to have coolant on the driver side thermostat housing well as well as the fuel injector housing wells over there without any spray pattern showing how it got there. Maybe the plastic intake manifold failed? I don't know if there are particular symptoms or things to look for that will help identify that. Perhaps the temp sensor is leaking. Can't see any sign of it at the base but perhaps the plastic part where the wires clip into it as that is wet but could be just from spray originating elsewhere.

I appreciate any thoughts or insights anyone might have. Can take any pics needed. Thanks in advance for the assistance!

OP
OP
O

olympic

Reaction score
Okay, I have a bit more information. I put the car up on stands and the antifreeze is definitely all towards the back. The front/sides of the motor are pretty dry. I put the car back down on the ground and decided to fill it with water and anti-freeze with the plan then being to start it and look for leaks. Well, after putting just over a gallon in I hear water pouring out (haven't even started the car). I look and can see it dripping down into the valley under the intake. I can't tell if it's coming from the intake itself or possibly the hose that runs through the center. Tough to see even with a light, but without even starting the car it's pretty much gushing down into that area. Thoughts? Makes me suspicious of the hose that runs through there but perhaps the manifold just broke wide open somewhere under there.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
I think you're heading in the right direction. Either the manifold gave up or something happened with the tube under the intake. Given that you had coolant in the plug wells I'm going to guess something with the intake.

OP
OP
O

olympic

Reaction score
I think you're heading in the right direction. Either the manifold gave up or something happened with the tube under the intake. Given that you had coolant in the plug wells I'm going to guess something with the intake.
Good point on the wells being full...not sure that would happen with just the hose/tube in the valley. It's really coming out under there without any pressure so if it's the manifold it went in a big way. I'll try to investigate a bit more but if it's the manifold will have to decide whether to put a PI manifold in or whether to just go with the newer NPI version.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Check the coolant nipple on the right rear of the manifold. The plastic nipple breaks and it's new manifold time. PI is a worthwhile swap and easy to do. Good luck!

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I look at it like this....a coolant leak not visible calls for a total revamp of hoses and gaskets. Sounds major, i know! But how trustworthy is the car to just ignore the age?

OP
OP
O

olympic

Reaction score
Looks like it's the manifold. Can't tell exactly where but it's dripping down from above the coolant hose (I can see that in the valley). So now I'm reading up on the PI manifold swap. Sounds like some people have trouble getting that PI manifold to seal at the coolant ports. Is this a widespread issue on the swap to the PI manifold or fairly uncommon? Would prefer to not have to do it twice.

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Its the plastic manifold. Either get the Ford Racing one or the full metal version from proffesional products or the speedmaster one.

OP
OP
O

olympic

Reaction score
I ordered the Ford Racing PI manifold from MHS along with a swap kit (cooling tube, fitting, alternator bracket, o-rings) and intake manifold gaskets. The nice thing is MHS says they will drill and tap the manifold for that extra sensor ($10) and will grind off the nubs on the manifold gaskets (free). With the holiday coming might not have the parts for a week or so. Will post updates once I have parts.

OP
OP
O

olympic

Reaction score
Advice on thermostat? I see some choose to change to a 180 whereas others stay 195. Pros and cons? If I did go with 180 does the stock tune need to change to turn the fans on sooner?

OP
OP
O

olympic

Reaction score
Still with whats in it.
Wasn't quite sure what you meant on your response. I'm looking for advice on 180 vs 195 thermostat and if I do switch to 180 if I need to do any adjustments to make sure fans come on when they should.

As an aside, still waiting on my parts to arrive from Modular Head Service. I ordered them on 6/28 but for some reason they didn't ship until 7/5 so not expected to see them arrive until 7/12. Once I have everything and can start on this project will post an update.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
My bad. Must have been a sleepy night texting that one.

Stay with what stock is.

A lower temp thermostat isnt going to improve cooling but will reduce consistent heat in the colder months.

Its the fans youll want coming on at lower temp.

OP
OP
O

olympic

Reaction score
My bad. Must have been a sleepy night texting that one.

Stay with what stock is.
Okay, makes sense. I think they came stock with 195. I'll check on that and just stay with stock temp. Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online

No members online now.