HELP HELP HELP.... SPARK PLUGS PROBLEM

dirtyred11

Reaction score
Ok guys, I went to change the spark plugs and got all of them done until I got to that last one and it was hard but I finally got it out but the threads that go in the block came out on the spark plug. I went to autozone from where I got the spark plugs and they tell me im going to have to take the head off and take it to a machine shop. That is not an option right now so I need some help on this one guys, I know I'm not the only one that has had this problem. I'm also going to post some pics of the spark plugs and a pic of the spark plug that is the problem.
1396925697_zps12959866.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
You'll need a Heli-coil. and the installation tool for it too. A tap should come with it.
Go to a NAPA and ask them.
You can do it on the car but do everything you can to keep the shavings out of the cylinder by putting grease on the drill bit and tap. Then blow out the cylinder real good when finished.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It is a common problem so you can do as said above or find another head to pop on.

This happens from over tightening the plugs.

OP
OP
dirtyred11

dirtyred11

Reaction score
Ok guys I have another question, I did some research on repairing it and I know now that you can either use heli-coil or time serts I believe but which one is better, easier, cheaper, but most important reliable. I have also heard that time serts are expensive so I looked on amazon and found the kit for like around 200 give or take but I also found just the insert piece that goes in the block for like 4 to 5 bucks. I was wondering if it was possible for me just to get one of those and put it in. I also looked on youtube and a guy just took that piece and put it on the end of the spark plug (with antiseeze of course) and like Loctite on the insert that actually contacts the inside of the head and screwed it back in. Now im also wondering if this would be a good thing to try or not. As always any and all help is greatly appreciated guys and thanks in advance for all the help....

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You have stock heads? I have heard of people picking them up at junk yards for @$20-50. Might be easier than trying to do a Time Cert especially since I would remove the head to do it anyway.

OP
OP
dirtyred11

dirtyred11

Reaction score
You have stock heads? I have heard of people picking them up at junk yards for @$20-50. Might be easier than trying to do a Time Cert especially since I would remove the head to do it anyway.
The only problem with that is that if the head came off I would have to be the one to do it and my skill level isn't there yet on these modular engines, if it was a 5.0 yes but not this one.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Yea...youll be fine! Youll have all of us on tap with answers to your questions. ...so dont be afraid to swap heads....uhm....pi heads that is !! But seriously. ...you could do this!

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Look at the plug with the stripped threads on it. That might be a heli-coil already on there. If it is, then the hard part is already done.
I've never used a time sert so I can't say which is better. Even if you buy the insert for $5 from flebay you'll still need a tap and a install tool. You can probably get the tap from NAPA and I've heard of people using needle nose pliers to install the insert. IMO just get the kit.
The stealerships install the heli-coils with the head in place. You can too. You might even be able to rent a kit from the parts house. And only have to buy the insert itself. IDK.
If you can do a head swap on a 5.0 then you can do one on a 4.6. There's just an extra cam, extra tensioner and 3 miles of chain..

OP
OP
dirtyred11

dirtyred11

Reaction score
Look at the plug with the stripped threads on it. That might be a heli-coil already on there. If it is, then the hard part is already done.
I've never used a time sert so I can't say which is better. Even if you buy the insert for $5 from flebay you'll still need a tap and a install tool. You can probably get the tap from NAPA and I've heard of people using needle nose pliers to install the insert. IMO just get the kit.
The stealerships install the heli-coils with the head in place. You can too. You might even be able to rent a kit from the parts house. And only have to buy the insert itself. IDK.
If you can do a head swap on a 5.0 then you can do one on a 4.6. There's just an extra cam, extra tensioner and 3 miles of chain..
Ok, so when you said you used heli coils before did you use the ones that look like little springs or the other ones? And nothing was stripped in this process, I screwed the plug and the insert out when trying just to take the plug out so my question is would I just be able to skip the tap step since I screwed it out and just move right on to screwing in a new insert?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The insert should be locked into the aluminum. Be sure its not damaged and be careful when re-installing. Hopefully their is still enough aluminum and the stopping point for the insert is still correct or the plug will sit further down.

OP
OP
dirtyred11

dirtyred11

Reaction score
The insert should be locked into the aluminum. Be sure its not damaged and be careful when re-installing. Hopefully their is still enough aluminum and the stopping point for the insert is still correct or the plug will sit further down.
Ok I just used a part I picked up from autozone that was the same thing the person before me used and I noticed that when I put it back in it did sit farther down than the others. What can I do about this? And I also noticed that the car has a popping noise come from the exhaust now, not really bad but it is noticeable. I also just took it for a test drive and the service engine light came on and it has never came on before.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
a popping noise could be either an exhast leak or a bad spark plug wire. Give a light tug on the plug wires to ensure that they are clamped on correctly. IF there is a gap close enough it will arc across the two and that is the noise you hear,

OP
OP
dirtyred11

dirtyred11

Reaction score
a popping noise could be either an exhast leak or a bad spark plug wire. Give a light tug on the plug wires to ensure that they are clamped on correctly. IF there is a gap close enough it will arc across the two and that is the noise you hear,
Ok im pretty sure its not an exhaust leak because it started after I changed the spark plugs and I have a 2000 mustang gt so we know I don't have plugs but are you also saying check the coils to make sure there on the spark plugs right and aren't close?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Check all the connections around the coils and plugs, sorry so use to 302 and heard spark plugs and popping and that is where my 302 trouble-shooting mind goes .... Not sure if it has the same effect on COP but if it does and they are not snaped tightly together it can make a popping noise.

OP
OP
dirtyred11

dirtyred11

Reaction score
Check all the connections around the coils and plugs, sorry so use to 302 and heard spark plugs and popping and that is where my 302 trouble-shooting mind goes .... Not sure if it has the same effect on COP but if it does and they are not snaped tightly together it can make a popping noise.
I checked all the connections today on the COP and they were good. It's still popping and the CEL light is still on so I will take it to autozone tomorrow to have them scan it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online