HELP! How do I remove DEET residue from interior/rag top??

Soft Top

Reaction score
Help! Does anyone know how I can safely remove white residue from bug spray (25% DEET) on my dashboard, interior of doors, and exterior of my soft top? The only thing I've tried so far is wiping everything down with water, which got rid of about 70% of the problem. Good news is that residue on leather seats came off completely. How it got there is a long story :oops:

I've been too terrified to try anything else. I'm scared the residue might react with cleaning products and make it worse. Also worried to bring to detailer, as I assume this is an unusual scenario.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. I've only had this car for about a month and change, needless to say a lot of tears have been cried over this.

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 11.17.46 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-07-06 at 11.17.57 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-07-06 at 11.17.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 11.18.06 AM.png

Thank you in advance!

NW

Chip66

Reaction score
The door panels are molded in color unless they were replaced and painted to match. Mild solvents should be okay, but it is best to test in a non-visible area.

The painted surfaces of the dash should not have solvent on them. The black portion is molded in color.

For the painted surfaces try denatured alcohol. Use one rag that is wet with it to wipe the panel followed immediately by a dry rag to clean it off.

If solvents are the only thing that removes it, you might be in for a repaint. This isn't too bad with the rattle can paints from places like LMR. Proper prep and masking are key.

The A/C controls and radio could be problematic. The screen paint is already easy to wear off of them.

Adfalenski

Reaction score
You might also try glass cleaner. Ammonia and vinegar are not caustic to the surfaces and evaporate without leaving any residue. Wet a rag and scrub for a few seconds and then immediately wipe with a clean rag.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
just a cray cray thought but I get those from time to time, maybe try one of the off the shelf dash cleaners?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson

Members online