Help! How do you remove the E- brake cable?

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
image.jpg
I can’t get that nubber thing at the end of the e-cable to pull out and away from the hooked part so I can get to the lower caliper bolt to remove caliper entirely.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

PinkieT

Reaction score
Done it before, but that was years ago. I forgot how exactly I did it, though. Not easy IIRC. You gotta pull the end of the cable while moving the part with the hook the opposite direction. Vise grips and a pry bar/screwdriver?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That’s pretty much what I was using, except the pry bar! Thought I better hold up and ask before I get too physical with it and break something that’s a son of a gun to replace!
I also seat on this forum. Got a 2015 hit. Mentioned having a second set of hands is useful. Time to call my buddy over again!

PinkieT

Reaction score
I think I changed the cable while the caliper was unbolted from the axle. Maybe that would help.

Wmac

Reaction score
Grab that sucker with a pair of vise grips and pull on the cable. Then remove the E clip and pull cable back and out.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Grab that sucker with a pair of vise grips and pull on the cable. Then remove the E clip and pull cable back and out.

Wmac,
A-ha! I removed the E-clip first. Maybe that little sucker will give the leverage I need to muscle that bloody wanker out!

PinkieT,
Definitely will follow that sequence when reinstalling.

trebor3170

Reaction score
I use a large pair of channel locks to rotate the lever, and pop the cable out with a pair of needle nose. easier said than done tho.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
we are sticking a small screwdriver or large nail in the holes on the base of the lever first right?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
How did you know that I JUST came inside from underneath the car? Frustrated again, I took a break for lunch. Naturally, I log onto SN95Forums and lo and behold, there’s your attachment.
Funny also... my (former) mechanic buddy at work mentioned I may have to loosen things under/around the brake lever! “ This is what it’s like when worlds collide”!!

Thanks, ttocs! I’ll try it right after lunch.

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
How did you know that I JUST came inside from underneath the car? Frustrated again, I took a break for lunch. National, I log onto SN95Forums and lo and behold, there’s your attachment.
Funny also... my (former) mechanic buddy at work mentioned I may have to loosen things under/around the brake lever! “ This is what it’s when worlds collide”!!

Thanks, ttocs! I’ll try it right after lunch.
I am pretty sure with the pin/nail in there you should be able to release the tension on the cable. I did it once and I did it so fast I can't even remember how I did it short of do a search on "How to remove 94 mustang parking brake", reading and then going to do it. Pretty sure its a 10 sec deal with it done IIRC.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
EC5EB7DE-6843-4DCE-878D-B01BE4A3CEB6.jpeg Is that the hole, just inside the L of the bracket that’s just behind that bolt sticking up? ? If so, I have the parking brake in the down position all the way down and I just shove a metal pin or a nail in there?

Attachments

• 813E6D13-6433-416E-87ED-4302B41EA889.jpeg
    813E6D13-6433-416E-87ED-4302B41EA889.jpeg
    458.4 KB · Views: 1

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Not sure which hole your looking at I think the hole your looking for is on the right side of the pic right next to the center of the metal wheel or look on the other side. The idea is the pin will lock the tension spring in place and then when you pull the handle up a little the cable should be loose and easy to slip out.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure which hole your looking at I think the hole your looking for is on the right side of the pic right next to the center of the metal wheel or look on the other side. The idea is the pin will lock the tension spring in place and then when you pull the handle up a little the cable should be loose and easy to slip out.
I’m an idiot! I should try actually READING Step 2 instead of just looking at the picture and trying to decipher! So this is a case where a picture DOESN’T tell a thousand words. In this case the words make the picture a thousand times clearer!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sure would be a nice luxury to be able to get the center console all the way out.
Seems the thick part of the brake level + the max 45degree angle forbids that notion!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
image.jpg Finally!!

And all this for new calipers and to flip/flop the bracket so it can properly attach to the new LCA’s!

Man we must be either fully committed or flat out crazy our live for our Ponies!!❤️

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you should be able to remove the console. Just crank the brake handle up as far as you can and wiggle it out. Glad it worked. I could not remember how I did it so I was going to let someone else say how and then I noticed it went on for a few days.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I never got the center console out, but I managed to muscle the e-brake wire out of both sides brackets.
Picked up a pair of reman calipers today at NAPA and once I crack that last 15mm bolt off, I can resume the caliper replacement/ LCA install. I have the next two days off, so I’ll be underneath my car for the duration!!
Also bought an electric impulse driver to get that last bolt out. Why? Because now it’s personal!!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
STILL... can’t get that last caliper bolt out (lower one, passenger side). I’ve tried everything short of welding a wrench on it and busting it loose that way. Seen that done on a car show. Sacrifices a wrench, but desperate times call for desperate measures I guess! I tried heating the snot out of it with a torch then hitting it with an extractor socket on an impact gun, but it was a 16mm so all it did was strip it more.
I just ordered a 15mm extractor socket from Amazon Prime which will be here tomorrow. Will torch and hit it with the 15mm socket and hood like heck it works!!

If that doesn’t work, I guess weld a wrench on is the solution. I hope. I just have to find a mobile welder to come over for that one little thing.

This is fun.... Errrrrrrgggghhh!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Staff online

Members online