Help identifying subframe connectors

DMC04

Reaction score
I'm looking into getting subframe connectors for my new-to-me 2001 GT convertible. Figured I'd take a peek underneath first. The last look I took was when I bought the car, and have to admit, I didn't know what they were to look for at the time.

Anyway, here's what I saw. Held on with 2 bolts at each end. However they don't look like any aftermarket bolt-on connectors that I've seen. No chance these are from the factory, right? I tried looking for a stock underbody pic, but couldn't seem to find one. I'm sure one of you guys will know in a heartbeat :D

Poor shot of the full length, then each of the ends...

007_zpscotxbyxk.jpg
006_zpsqrqt4tue.jpg
005_zpskecuokhi.jpg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
never paid attention to any bolt on kits as all I ever heard about them was to stay away from them. If its a quality brand it should be stamped on it somewhere and if so you can probably modify those to weld to work better.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Those should be stock for convertible cars. I have a buddy that has gotten a few convertibles and they all had that same frame connector.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
My 97 Cobra convertible doesn't have them. I would guess Steeda maybe. I had MM full length one welded on my last car and loved them. I really need them on this car...

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My 04 GT (coupe) came with ones that look the same, so I don't think they're stock. No idea who made them, they're not the best but were free so going to weld them in for now.

OP
OP
D

DMC04

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. I came across at least one mention of factory subframe connectors on a new-edge convertible, as well. I'm thinking that they probably are. That was a product review for the Maximum Motorsports full-length. I assume they removed the bolt-on factory ones first, as they'd have to go in the same place. I just find it weird that in all the product reviews, there was only one mention of the factory ones. Anyway... It seems like if I want it stiffened up more, that's the route I'll have to go.
Again, appreciate all the responses. If by chance someone has a new-edge convertible and can give a definite answer, I'd be curious to hear.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious if coupes had them too since mine does.
Maybe I should just leave mine bolted and replace it with a welded aftermarket down the road...

OP
OP
D

DMC04

Reaction score
I got the answer from a very knowledgeable guy at a well-known Mustang shop... They ARE factory. He said they're basically superficial, though. The steel isn't very good and they're held in place with two 6mm bolts on each end. Really don't do much, apparently.

I'm going to go the route of replacing them with welded on full-length units. Seems like a no-brainer.

Thanks again all for the discussion feedback.

4.6Stangrage

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. I came across at least one mention of factory subframe connectors on a new-edge convertible, as well. I'm thinking that they probably are. That was a product review for the Maximum Motorsports full-length. I assume they removed the bolt-on factory ones first, as they'd have to go in the same place. I just find it weird that in all the product reviews, there was only one mention of the factory ones. Anyway... It seems like if I want it stiffened up more, that's the route I'll have to go.
Again, appreciate all the responses. If by chance someone has a new-edge convertible and can give a definite answer, I'd be curious to hear.

My '01 Cobra Convertible has the exact same subframe connectors, I want to upgrade to a better setup though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online