Help identifying this interesting hood

Burninrock24

Reaction score
Bought this hood today off a 96 Cobra sitting in the woods.

It’s all fiberglass, but looks to be a Cobra R style cowl with the 96-98 vents?

I’m scratching my head honestly. 6C44AFE7-BF62-49EC-B2D2-280971F345CD.jpeg 585CC407-7BDC-4138-85FC-A34E5D34714E.jpeg246901EF-0AD2-43F1-91E7-AF2C4C20C402.jpeg

Darkhorse95

Reaction score
That hood looks familiar. I can’t remember what it was called, but I remember seeing it in old ads from Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords magazines. I always thought it looked pretty cool myself. I’m gonna see if I can dig up some of my old magazines and find it.

Flade

Reaction score
It tells you right on it! It’s appears to be hood off a 95 Cobra R.

Last edited:

Flade

Reaction score
But find me a Cobra R that came with the two 96-98 scoops up top though..
True, I forgot they didn’t have the scoops. Steeda makes one, but the scoops are a bit different. I wonder if the scoops were grafted from a regular Cobra hood. I’ve never seen the bottom of a Cobra R hood, so I don’t know what it should look like.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
True, I forgot they didn’t have the scoops. Steeda makes one, but the scoops are a bit different. I wonder if the scoops were grafted from a regular Cobra hood. I’ve never seen the bottom of a Cobra R hood, so I don’t know what it should look like.
IF they were grafted then someone did a VERY good job of making the bottom look almost as good as the top.

TrickVert

Reaction score
I find it odd that someone would install an aftermarket hood, then slap the factory emissions and belt-routing stickers on it. On the other hand, unless it's metal, that "COBRA R" looks like a painted-over Dymo label. And on the other other hand, those extra holes in the scoop areas look like they were carved out with a spade bit. I seem to recall someone making an "R" hood that re-used the OEM Cobra scoops like this one appears to, but that was too long ago for my brain to recall. ABS or Harwood, maybe?

OP
OP
Burninrock24

Burninrock24

Reaction score
I find it odd that someone would install an aftermarket hood, then slap the factory emissions and belt-routing stickers on it. On the other hand, unless it's metal, that "COBRA R" looks like a painted-over Dymo label. And on the other other hand, those extra holes in the scoop areas look like they were carved out with a spade bit. I seem to recall someone making an "R" hood that re-used the OEM Cobra scoops like this one appears to, but that was too long ago for my brain to recall. ABS or Harwood, maybe?

The stickers are odd to me too. The whole hood is fiberglass, including that Cobra R stamp/relief. The previous owner definitely carved out those holes with a drill bit - while wearing a blindfold. I’m assuming to get the OE cobra scoop bezels to fit, because there was grime around where they would sit.

I have to imagine this whole thing was created as one unit because the seam where the two scoops would have had to be graphed is really clean. And seeing the previous owners handi-work I can’t imagine this was a home brew thing.

I’ll check out the brands you mentioned to see if that leads down any rabbit holes.

Darkhorse95

Reaction score
I couldn’t find any of my magazines. I’m assuming they’re out in storage, but I remember seeing a hood like that on in one of the body kit ads similar to the Cervini’s ads. This company’s ads were always in black and white from what I remember.

Darkhorse95

Reaction score
Ok, I did some more research and I found another forum for foxbodies and there’s a Fox with the same style hood. It’s from ABC Exclusive. I tried their website, but product searches ain’t available anymore.
0FAHx_RdLM_FreFa2h3NGEp2A
0gJOUboICV9efF9v0DqeMRpvA
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0gJOUboICV9efF9v0DqeMRpvA
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0fFFGB90X-_F2EWMxbjACpc1g

OP
OP
Burninrock24

Burninrock24

Reaction score
Ok, I did some more research and I found another forum for foxbodies and there’s a Fox with the same style hood. It’s from ABC Exclusive. I tried their website, but product searches ain’t available anymore.
0FAHx_RdLM_FreFa2h3NGEp2A
0gJOUboICV9efF9v0DqeMRpvA
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0gJOUboICV9efF9v0DqeMRpvA
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0fFFGB90X-_F2EWMxbjACpc1g

The one on the fox is definitely the same design. That second one on the SN95 the nostrils/vents seem too close to be the same design. I came across a random Facebook marketplace listing with the hood selling new.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/811529435919820/

39F207C4-9DE2-47D4-A6A0-85D405379AA6.jpeg 30C39A32-40D0-4E47-B6EB-41A1956E89F4.jpeg

I contacted the seller but they have no website nor is affiliated with any company. But there’s got to be a manufacturer that had these molds to begin with...

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
your probably not going to find much if any info on them. If it was a quality manf that made it we know there would be a badge on it to display it.

waynenorcross

Reaction score
The '95 Cobra R hood had no scoops and had an opening towards the back to release heat.
Also, the sticker says 4.6L belt routing. The '94 Cobra R was a 351 cu in motor. You can buy factory oem stickers from places like Performance Parts Inc to slap on anything.

OP
OP
Burninrock24

Burninrock24

Reaction score
your probably not going to find much if any info on them. If it was a quality manf that made it we know there would be a badge on it to display it.
That’s my thoughts too. It seems solid enough. Going to clean it up and see how it fits then go from there. No idea how it will look, but only one way to find out!

Flade

Reaction score
Th Cobra R molded into the Fiberglass is very similar to how Ford cast in the part number On standard hoods. Surprising there is nothing to identify the maker.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Th Cobra R molded into the Fiberglass is very similar to how Ford cast in the part number On standard hoods. Surprising there is nothing to identify the maker.
I would not doubt that some small manf took a mold from an original hood and then added the center piece at some point.

Flade

Reaction score
Ok did some research.

H.O. Fibertrends made the original Cobra R hood for Ford. They sold an aftermarket version with a 1” cowl. May have had other size cowls as well.
The were OEM quality and fitment was excellent since they had the original molds to work with.

Last edited:

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
Ok did some research.

H.O. Fibertrends made the original Cobra R hood for Ford. They sold an aftermarket version with a 1” cowl. May have had other size cowls as well.
The were OEM quality and fitment was excellent since they had the original molds to work with.
I checked because i thought the same at first. But that is not an HO Fibertrendz hood.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online