Help, in the middle of PI cams/intake swap

S

sa96vertgt

I have a '96 GT and have the engine all tore down and am ready to take out the cams. I ordered a new PI coolant tube from Randy @ Modular Depot, but when I try to install it, it won't fit over the metal tube that is pressed into the back of the water pump. It came with a new nipple but that doesn't seem to help. Even if it did fit, it seems like it would be too long :dunno: Has anyone else ran into this problem? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks,
Steve

ripper

Reaction score
Search PI intake swap. I think you have to change that nipple. Ive seen detailed instructions in other threads on how to do it.

Casper98gt

Reaction score
Hey man. Yes you need to remove the waterpump and then hammer the old nipple out and put the new back in. If you have a 1998 they already use the updated nipple. But 96 and 97 cars need the new nipple. Good luck bro.

OP
OP
S

sa96vertgt

Casper98gt

Thanks for the reply. All your write-ups, etc. have been a huge help. I'll keep y'all posted. Later,
Steve

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
When I did my inake swap, I used heater hose down there. That was three years ago, and I'm still using it today.

Dusstbuster

Reaction score
Jrgunn5150 said:
When I did my inake swap, I used heater hose down there. That was three years ago, and I'm still using it today.

Same here. I ordered the coolant tube but they sent me one for a Bullit so it obviously didn't fit. I was in a hurry so just went out and bought some high heat well insulated hose and ran that through the cylinder valley and it's worked fine so far for a year. I figured if it ever blew I'd worry about getting the right part, otherwise it's a cheap and ghetto way to fix it rather well :D Also got to return the Bullit part for full price so I was set.

Here is what I used..
Cam004edited.jpg

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yep same here, just make sure to turn the hose clamps up, cuz you can get them with a long screwdrieer if you forget to tighten them all the way like I do.

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
Yeah and put a socket over the nipple other wise you will bend it all up and it wont come out except by cutting it! lol Thats what i did and it took me for ever to cut through it!

Casper98gt

Reaction score
yeah coolant hose is deff. ok. I actually wish i would have taken pics but my first 96 swap i did. I actually use a 5.0 thermostat hose with a natural bend in it and then cut the PI coolant hose and worked them together. Looked great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.