Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!Is My V6 Tranny the source and has been all these YRS???

from6to8

Reaction score
I went by one of my mechanics house today to let him know a few things I wanted to do with the car. I told him how the car was running since I fixed the broken spring and slightly bent valve in the head and that it's running well, nice and strong but down low it seems to me that for how it is moving through the rpm's, it just doesnt feel like the car is moving as fast to match the rpms. He drove the car and he is a guru, ASE certified jet mechanic and all, he said man " aint nothing wrong with that car ". He asked me what all we did with the swap and I told him. He first said that the 3.55 gears changing to 3.73's I would notice a tremendous difference. I told him that guys on the forums has told me that to go from 3.55s to 3.73 would for the money for the gears and labor really wouldn't be noticable enough to do. He said he didnt think so in his opinion and also said its not bad to change the gears ( but I probably wouldnt wana tackle it especially since I'm not totally positive what if any change I would notice).

After I told him I had the v6 tranny in there, he said well having the v6 tranny in there is more so holding the power transition of everything being matched up than the rear end gearing. He told me to look up the gearing for each gear for each transmission. I looked them up and here was what I found on the phone and hope it's accurate:

V6 T5 94-98 94 GT T5
1st 3.35:1 3.35:1
2nd 1.93:1 1.99:1
3rd 1.29:1 1.33:1
4th 1.00:1 1.00:1
5th 0.73:1 0.68:1

He said from what he feels when driving it is that all the gears seem fine but first. He said 1st gear is only getting up to about 45 mph when changing the gearing in the tranny for first should get up to about 70????????? Thoughts????

He showed me a magazine article that he gets monthyly and it compared a porsche, M4Bmw, and a Vette and it compared the gears 1-5 and the rpm and speed associated with them to prove how important gearing was and how from one car to another the gearing at the rpm levels and the speed was. He said if you guys can find the power curve for each gear and the rpm/speed from the v6 tranny to the v8, then we can compare apples to apples and he could further prove his point. He did say that he believes my only problem is first gear though. After calling a few guys while there, they didnt agree with him so that's why I told him I wanted to get you guys opinion.

2nd question is in regards to suspension. NOt long ago and not many miles ago I had tokico blues shocks and struts put on and also front end work done, all ball joints and bushings, end links. I know i need to change out the rear LCA's and the differential housing bushings in which I have them and just need to get them installed. I currently have Mac LCAs that I've had for years and also Mac uppers. He asked me why i didnt go with air shocks, even the Monroe's would work he said. I said well my situation with the bump I told you guys about I'm convinced changing the arms would help that. He said when he drove it he noticed when getting on it and shifting to 2nd , I think from 2nd to 3rd the car seemed to dip and flattens and he said the car needs to be brought back up some. I told him i think when I change out the arms and bushings Its going to fix all of that , though I didnt really notice the dipping and flattening as he did but I will recheck, but yeah i told him i think the arms will fix that and he thinks it still will do it but I will have to see. First thing I'm going to do is have the arms put on and the differential bushings.

Thoughts on it all fellas.............

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
:huh:
Kind of confused about your problems... So the car seems under powered? Well, sn95...

As for the trannys, to my knowledge v6 and v8 had different t5s. Gear ratio and strength are the main differences I believe. I haven't look too much into it since I just put a v8 t5 in my v6 since mine was in the trunk of the car when I bought it, minus well upgrade it. I'm not sure how much difference you'd notice with the difference in gear ratios, but I suspect it would be noticeable.

As for rear end gears, I cant speak about 355 to 373. In my experience though gear swap was one of the best bang for your buckets, but I did 273 to 373. If I were you, I'd do the swap though.

What is your situation for the bumps?
Too soft? Arms and bushings aren't going to make as big of difference as shocks.
I've heard not the greatest things about the Blues... I think that could be your problem. Tokico is a good brand though, love my D specs.

What springs do you have?

As for the Monroes, i'd say no. Isn't monroe just an OEM "style" part supplier. If not, I haven't seen anyone on here run them.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Monroe is just oem replacement don't waste your money. I run J&M's rear upper and lower control arms, Ford Racing rear upper axle bushings. Rear is firm and planted, no wheel hop or weird movements. Personally I wouldn't bother going from 3.55 to 3.73, for the slight and I mean slight! performance gain, does it justify the cost of new gears, install kit, new bearings plus labor? Not to me.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
He said first gear was your problem? Isn't first gear the same between the V6 and V8 transmissions? And if you went to 373's, your top speed will decrease, not increase. I think your certified mechanic friend is drunk.

OP
OP
F

from6to8

Reaction score
Monroe is just oem replacement don't waste your money. I run J&M's rear upper and lower control arms, Ford Racing rear upper axle bushings. Rear is firm and planted, no wheel hop or weird movements. Personally I wouldn't bother going from 3.55 to 3.73, for the slight and I mean slight! performance gain, does it justify the cost of new gears, install kit, new bearings plus labor? Not to me.
yeah i ordered JnM lowers and have ford OEM differential housing bushings, just gotta get them put in and I hope it will cure my rear being lower than the front.

OP
OP
F

from6to8

Reaction score
:huh:
Kind of confused about your problems... So the car seems under powered? Well, sn95...

As for the trannys, to my knowledge v6 and v8 had different t5s. Gear ratio and strength are the main differences I believe. I haven't look too much into it since I just put a v8 t5 in my v6 since mine was in the trunk of the car when I bought it, minus well upgrade it. I'm not sure how much difference you'd notice with the difference in gear ratios, but I suspect it would be noticeable.

As for rear end gears, I cant speak about 355 to 373. In my experience though gear swap was one of the best bang for your buckets, but I did 273 to 373. If I were you, I'd do the swap though.

What is your situation for the bumps?
Too soft? Arms and bushings aren't going to make as big of difference as shocks.
I've heard not the greatest things about the Blues... I think that could be your problem. Tokico is a good brand though, love my D specs.

What springs do you have?

As for the Monroes, i'd say no. Isn't monroe just an OEM "style" part supplier. If not, I haven't seen anyone on here run them.

I have the Eibach pro lowering springs

situation with the bump , well what he said he noticed to be honest I will have to reevaluate tommorow. As for what I know for sure i notice but it is with going over this dip in the road that ofcourse is always there and everytime I go over it rather its just me in the car or not I hear the rear scrape the tires some. Ofcourse its more noticable with one more person in the car. Sometimes just me in there I dont hear it cause I try and avoid it sometimes and hit it softer I guess :) ...

I'm hoping the new lower arms and differential housing bushings will stiffen it up some if it is giving some now due to the bushings being worn.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Believe me it'll be a lot stiffer out back. I went from stock uppers and lowers, aswell as upper axle bushings, to J&M uppers and lowers, new axle bushings.. The rear is solid!

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Gearing doesn't seem to be your issue. I wouldn't waste the money from 3.55 to 3.73 until the very end of your mod list.

Change the bushings in the rear, and get better LCA's. You need to tighten up.

But 70 in first is totally unheard of in any SN95 (to my knowledge) so no lol

OP
OP
F

from6to8

Reaction score
Gearing doesn't seem to be your issue. I wouldn't waste the money from 3.55 to 3.73 until the very end of your mod list.

Change the bushings in the rear, and get better LCA's. You need to tighten up.

But 70 in first is totally unheard of in any SN95 (to my knowledge) so no lol

Here is my theory and thinking on my car and maybe this is more logic on the inconsisties of the car as far as overall feel and power of how it feels more lazy down low sometimes. I think first it's because for the most part the car is a weekend driver and usually gets driven on fri and sat's. On average its the following friday or sat so the car usually sits about 7-8 days, sometimes 2 weeks if i don't drive it that weekend due to rain or what have you. I normally cruise, conserving fuel mileage :) ....Don't get me wrong, I do get down on her, blow her out from time to time but I wonder rather my car's computer is for the most part remembering how it was last driven and even if say I beat it real good for some of that day, if it's a week till the next drive, might the computer have forgotten that beating and just adapt back to normal driving? I may have to everytime I drive it, get down on her real good and get into it for the first 5-10 mins and let it relearn that and then for the rest of that day/next day it should be in that memory?????

Maybe my logic is incorrect but hey maybe it isn't. I will be doing trial and error the next few weeks to see. If everything checks out fine and I may even do a leak down test to give me peace of mind either after fixing the heads, I will decide rather I will go ahead and get a SC or not. I know some has had success with the stock block and some have not so not sure i will go that route without getting a dart block.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think that's the issue. These computers aren't as smart as you want them to be lol

OP
OP
F

from6to8

Reaction score
Believe me it'll be a lot stiffer out back. I went from stock uppers and lowers, aswell as upper axle bushings, to J&M uppers and lowers, new axle bushings.. The rear is solid!
Is there a need for a rear alignment with changing out the rear arms (upper and lower) as well as the differential housing bushings?

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
No need for an alignment at all on the back tires. Solid rear axle.

and I'm talking about the computer not being as intelligent and learning beating on the car, etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online