Help me clean under the hood

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
ok so im about to show you a pic of what it looks like under my hood and i need yalls advice on how to clean it up. not lookin to CHROME it up or anything just clean it up, what to use, what to do, and so forth. FEEDBACK IS A MUST!!

Picture001-3.jpg

94twinscrew

Reaction score
Ya,x2 on the cover.

You just have a lot of grime on the engine....

Take a damp terry cloth(not dripping),and start wipeing down EVERYTHING with a mild solution(simple green works great),.....wires,firewall,get that stuff off the overflow tank,hoses,brake booster,MC,fender walls,ect.....

Once all that stuff is grime free,go over all the black parts,hoses,vac lines,wires,cowl shroud,ect...with some vinyl protectant and a lint free cloth.

Wax the inside of the engine bay,even if it is just to remove the oxidation,and then do the hood too.

A detailing brush help a lot,along with aresol window cleaner for gettin all the grime out of the nooks and cranny's......count on this taking a minimum of 2-3 hours if you plan on doing it right.

OP
OP
B

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
feel like making a little list of things to pick up? so i can do this?

where can i get the OEM radiator cover piece?
where can i get all new caps for the things that need caps, OEM?

see the thing that was painted blue? should i just paint it black or just get a new one?

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
find a junkyard, its the cheapest ways to find those pieces...or search on forums for people that are parting cars.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Take a bottle of simple green and go to the Coin Wash

...Spray simple green on EVERYTHING under the hood while the motor is warm.....sit for like 5 mins.

then High pressure was FTW

IMG_0328.JPG

94twinscrew

Reaction score
my95gtstang said:
feel like making a little list of things to pick up? so i can do this?

where can i get the OEM radiator cover piece?
where can i get all new caps for the things that need caps, OEM?

see the thing that was painted blue? should i just paint it black or just get a new one?

Ford dealers can get it,along with a lot of aftermarket company's.

Simple Green,New Vinyl,old T shirts or terry cloths,appicator sponges, Insulator wax is probably the best wax to use under the hood for tons of appications,or just whatever wax you have laying around for your basic detail. Toothbrush,or detailing brush,steel wool for polishing out oxidized aluminum parts. I could go on and on man,it just depends on how far you want to go.lol Power washing works great,but it's risky if you don't know what you're spraying. I use a spay bottle with distilled water,that way i can control the amout of water that contacts the sensors and such.

Another few suggestions is to have a black sharpy for touching up scratches on the STB,and aslo haveing some touch up paint for the fenders and firewall goes a long way too.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
SRT Handz knows whats up, thats how i did mine too and it came out sick, and i just used a hose to rinse it off. After it drys spray the engine with tireshine for a glowing finish. Before spraying everything it doesnt hurt to spray electrical connections with silicone spray to keep excess water off.

CobraEngine-full.jpg

OP
OP
B

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
what do you mean High Pressure?

so that simple green stuff i can just spray on everything? dont have to cover anything up?
same with the tire shine finish?

could you make like an "instruction manual" lol
just like a list of what to do in order so i know what im doing, i still am kinda lost lol.

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
step one: remove the 4.6l and put it in the garbage

step two: place a 427 stroker motor in ;D

im just joking with you man, i would do pretty much whats said, you can take all of your stuff down to the pressure washers spray on lots of degreasers let it sit a sec then spray it off with the pressure washer, then use your protectants to give it that shine/ protection

GDawg

Reaction score
That engine bay needs some love... :boink:

Do the Simple Green and the high pressure hose at the car wash. And then get personal with your engine and hand wipe it down. Then you have to keep on it. I need to do some back to black on mine.

EngineBay.jpg

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
i need to blow my car lol

wheres a good place to get a blower for my car preferiably used for costs sake and its a 94-95

smasher41

Reaction score
so you guys didnt need to cover the alternator or intake with shrink wrap or anything ( someone on another forum said you can ruin your alt with simple green?

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
i just cleaned up my engine today. I didnt cover anything and i was fine. I didnt have any simple green but i used some degreaser i had (jungle jake or some shit) and a brush and hosed it off and everything was fine. Next time ill pick up some simple green and use a pressure washer because it is pry easier

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
ive just been using engine degreaser/engine shine in one or w/e... black magic's product i think it is.. ive been spraying that on it, let it sit for 15 minutes (on the warm engine), and then pressure washing it off.. its better not to pressure wash it though, a steady flow of water will do the job just fine. then get in there with your hand and scrub away with simple green, works awesome.. i use some chrome polish on my intake cause its chrome.. just pick up some degreaser, simple green, some good towels to work with, and be ready to work. itll look great. keep with it though, the more you do it, the better it will look. don't just do it once cause after a while, itll just look like what you have now.

OP
OP
B

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
trey, thats what i did yesterday. i bought the black magic engine shine, the 2-1 stuff but it didnt seem to really work. still looks the same. like my wires and all look better but other than that no.... i think ima buy an actual degreaser then use the black magic for the shine. i used like the whole bottle lol cuz i covered everything. she was acting up cuz i didnt cover the alternator or intake but i know i didnt get the intake wet. but yeah, its best to do that then let it sit for like 4 hours just so it all dries up. ima do it again today and see what happens.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah