Help me find the owner of this Mustang

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
I dont have the ability, and definetly not the experience, to paint it myself. And I've always avoided cars in the past that needed paint work because that shit ain't cheap but I'm thinking this car deserves it

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
its not like it needs the whole thing done over but as you said it is nice enough to consider taking it to a body shop to do it.

07GtS197

Reaction score
My 98 p71 had paint chips all over it, some years are notorious for this good job Ford. I read where people used nail polish to touch up spots. So I went to the dollar tree and picked up a thing of white and one clear. There was one spot that had surface rust because the paint was gone for so long so I sanded it and applied a few layers of white then a few layers of clear. It came out not as bad as you would think lol. The point is even just using touch up for the time being you can fix the paint yourself then later on take it somewhere to get those spots blended. Or even learn how to paint in the meantime and do it yourself. But you dont have to use nail polish lol the only reason I used it was because it was an ex police car not a show car and I knew either way it wasnt going to be perfect.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
My 98 p71 had paint chips all over it, some years are notorious for this good job Ford. I read where people used nail polish to touch up spots. So I went to the dollar tree and picked up a thing of white and one clear. There was one spot that had surface rust because the paint was gone for so long so I sanded it and applied a few layers of white then a few layers of clear. It came out not as bad as you would think lol. The point is even just using touch up for the time being you can fix the paint yourself then later on take it somewhere to get those spots blended. Or even learn how to paint in the meantime and do it yourself. But you dont have to use nail polish lol the only reason I used it was because it was an ex police car not a show car and I knew either way it wasnt going to be perfect.

I had been wondering if this one fell into the crystal white curse years but the fact it has held up led me to believe it was not or had been repainted. There is no temporary fix for the curse just stripping and repainting

07GtS197

Reaction score
I had been wondering if this one fell into the crystal white curse years but the fact it has held up led me to believe it was not or had been repainted. There is no temporary fix for the curse just stripping and repainting

Im sure youre right, but with me it held up. I know that since the paint itself didnt adhere causing the paint to flake off touching up wont fix it. I actually didnt know any year mustangs had that same issue, ya learn something new everyday. With that in mind Id expect the op to be fine but will need some touching up. And imo 20+ year old cars will almost always have some paint issues. My dads 08 ram has a ton of peeling clear coat!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Im sure youre right, but with me it held up. I know that since the paint itself didnt adhere causing the paint to flake off touching up wont fix it. I actually didnt know any year mustangs had that same issue, ya learn something new everyday. With that in mind Id expect the op to be fine but will need some touching up. And imo 20+ year old cars will almost always have some paint issues. My dads 08 ram has a ton of peeling clear coat!
if I have heard correctly ford was trying to cut costs about that time. You can see it in the cheaper seats, door panels and they experimented with taking primer out of the paint equation on the white cars. Well they learned it chips off much easier

07GtS197

Reaction score
if I have heard correctly ford was trying to cut costs about that time. You can see it in the cheaper seats, door panels and they experimented with taking primer out of the paint equation on the white cars. Well they learned it chips off much easier
Makes sense. Luckily I dont own any white Fords from that era anymore lol. I didnt mind it too much on my p71 because of the type of car it is.

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Theres one spot on the car that is flaking off the body. Right under the passenger side a pillar theres a quarter sized spot where the paint is just flaking off. But the rest of the car is not. I know for sure the hood and front bumper are not original paint but I'm unsure as to the rest of the car

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you know a friend that is a good paint/body guy it would be worth buying some beers after to get his opinion on it. The crystal white cars are a known problem. This car was pretty well taken care of at one time so its possible its original paint that is now ready to fail or he could have had it repainted.

Wood's 5.0

Reaction score
Mine is Crystal White, has the original paint, and has been without problemsAugusta, 2018.jpg Augusta, 2018_2.jpg . I bought it new in October of 1995 and it was my daily driver for 5 or so years. I've had to touch-up a rock chip or two with the Ford touch-up "kit" as they call it but otherwise it still shines like new money. I thought Laser Red was the problem child color from those years.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Mine is Crystal White, has the original paint, and has been without problemsView attachment 328 View attachment 329 . I bought it new in October of 1995 and it was my daily driver for 5 or so years. I've had to touch-up a rock chip or two with the Ford touch-up "kit" as they call it but otherwise it still shines like new money. I thought Laser Red was the problem child color from those years.

Laser red had the issues with turning pink but the crystal white is the one where it would peel off and flake off all the way down to bare metal almost.

Has yours been garage kept since new?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wood's 5.0

Reaction score
@ttocs
mine certainly has had a few chips that I've had to touch-up but nothing like big chunks of paint coming loose. More aggravation than anything else.

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
I cleaned out some dirt/leaves/twigs from the trunk lip.. God knows how long its been sitting there, and the majority of the paint in that lip came out with it all.. RIP.

The only other problem spot is an area under the passenger side B pillar. The rest of the paint is fine as far as just flaking off goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online