help me max out my motor!

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Well, I am in the process of saving up for a FMIC. I just ordered a mini race bypass valve. My current #'s are 343rwhp, 365tq through an auto. I understand that eventually i will have to get this rebuilt along with a stronger rear, but first I want to max out my stock block (400rwhp). Now, the FMIC is a definate. Other than that, I was originally planning on going with a set of MPH blower cams or porting my NON-PI heads. Which route do you guys think i should go? Or even better, do you think i can do the FMIC, blower cams, and port my non-pi heads and still be in the 400rwhp range?? Thanks, just curious as to which route you guys would go!!
Thanks
Mike

S

scarface

port your heads, intercooler, cams, alky injection.

get r done Mike :)

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
So you think I'll have room to do all 3? Intercooler, cams, port heads? If so, that will be exactly what i do to max out my motor. And im definately going to keep my car auto, i love it. I would never do a racing tranny, but i do plan to get my tranny rebuilt to hold the power by BC automotive when i get my t/c from them. I really like the idea of doing all 3 and not messing with more boost too!! The cams/ported heads/intercooler should drop my boost a decent amount as well!

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
awesome, well thats going to be the end of my mod list. First will be the FMIC, then Steen racing ported NON PI heads, with MPH custom grind blower cams. That should just about do it for my bottem end. what do you guys think?

Thomas_W

Reaction score
I put bets that the Blower cams and Front Mount will do it alone. especially if your still running Non pi cams. Hell, even if you are running PI cams i bet the blower cams and FMIC will put you at 400rwhp.

I picked up 50-60 RWHP from PI cams to Crower Stage 2 S/C Cams on PI heads.. if you pick up 40rwhp you'll be at 385rwhp. I did a front mount on my buddies novi 2k car, he picked up 35rwhp just from that and kept the same boost from when he dropped pulley size just a bit.

I vote on Blower cams and FMIC only

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
throw a small shot of nitrous on it O0. but u could probably do a fmic, PI cams, and turn up the boost a little bit and get 400...

S

scarface

Thomas_W said:
I put bets that the Blower cams and Front Mount will do it alone. especially if your still running Non pi cams. Hell, even if you are running PI cams i bet the blower cams and FMIC will put you at 400rwhp.

I picked up 50-60 RWHP from PI cams to Crower Stage 2 S/C Cams on PI heads.. if you pick up 40rwhp you'll be at 385rwhp. I did a front mount on my buddies novi 2k car, he picked up 35rwhp just from that and kept the same boost from when he dropped pulley size just a bit.

I vote on Blower cams and FMIC only
I had his exact combo, with HP 292 blower cams with a 5 spd, and I had 385/361

I would say the FMIC would put him too 400, but a he doesnt want to change pulleys. THe drop in boost may hurt him a bit.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
yeah so maybe i should just do the FMIC and blower cams and throw it on the dyno and see where im at. Then if i have room to play get my heads ported. How does that sound? Or would you guys do it the other way around and do the FMIC with ported heads and wait on the cams?

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
oh yeah, and that 343rwhp and 365tq is with completely untouched NON PI heads/cams.

S

scarface

blown97stanger said:
oh yeah, and that 343rwhp and 365tq is with completely untouched NON PI heads/cams.
right so do it up already showoff! :)

Thomas_W

Reaction score
IF he buys the correct FMIC (no tube and fin, bar and plate only) AND does the piping correctly he wont loose more than 2psi of boost. Anymore loss than that and you have a very inefficient intercooler and should start looking for a new one.

My buddy also lost 95* of Inlet air charge temperature by the addition of his intercooler... and his IC (24x12x3) is smaller than mine (32x12x3)

IF your still on Non pi heads and cams i would DEFINATELY ONLY do the blower cams and FMIC then. i bet you get 30-40rwhp just by swapping in stock PI cams

S

scarface

Thomas_W said:
IF he buys the correct FMIC (no tube and fin, bar and plate only) AND does the piping correctly he wont loose more than 2psi of boost. Anymore loss than that and you have a very inefficient intercooler and should start looking for a new one.

My buddy also lost 95* of Inlet air charge temperature by the addition of his intercooler... and his IC (24x12x3) is smaller than mine (32x12x3)

IF your still on Non pi heads and cams i would DEFINATELY ONLY do the blower cams and FMIC then. i bet you get 30-40rwhp just by swapping in stock PI cams
the boost loss in that amount is alot when he only runs around 8 psi to start. I lost 2 psi from the blower cams alone. However I gained 40whp. Then I upped the boost :)

S

scarface

dont you dare take those heads off and put them back on with the stock cams! THe post isnt here, but I can read your mind!!!!

Thomas_W

Reaction score
scarface said:
Thomas_W said:

the boost loss in that amount is alot when he only runs around 8 psi to start. I lost 2 psi from the blower cams alone. However I gained 40whp. Then I upped the boost :)

I look at boost loss by no big deal.. under 2 conditions. 1- your getting more air into the motor and 2. your getting colder air into the engine. Every intercooler i have seen used had no more than a 1 psi boost loss as long as they were a bar and plate style. I've seen 6!! tube and fin intercooler and 3 of them lost OVER 4 psi of boost, the other 3 lost 2 to 3psi of boost. Big difference.

Matter of fact,
We took one P1SC car that had a tube and fine intercooler on it that made 366rwhp and remove the intercooler.. intake charge temps grew and it picked up 2 psi of boost. HP went down to 359rwhp. We then installed a Bar and plate intercooler. Intake temps dropped 20* below the intake temps of the tube and fin and it lost 1 psi of boost over the no intercooler setup. HP rose to 395rwhp..

Pretty dramatic changes just from changing setups... nothing changed except for the intercooler style and no intercooler. The piping was all the same length. And this was all done on the same day.

S

scarface

yeah, the style IC really makes a difference. My gt was supercharged, but I had an srt and an sti before that :)

Mike you will hit your goal with no problems.... now, get a stall in that thing!

Thomas_W

Reaction score
scarface said:
yeah, the style IC really makes a difference. My gt was supercharged, but I had an srt and an sti before that :)

Mike you will hit your goal with no problems.... now, get a stall in that thing!

I agree.. quit talking and start working! hahaha..

oihhhh and BTW.. if you dont hit the goal, i've got a set of P&P Non PI heads laying around i would get rid of for a good price :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online