Help me pick a receiver!

Venompower

Reaction score
So, in an effort to do this in pieces and based on my factory Stereo/Tap and CD decks being junk... I'm going to tackle the audio in a modular fashion. I've decided to start with a receiver, and then make decisions about upgrading speakers and bypassing the factory amp down the road. I would like it to sound good, but I'm also trying to stay under $400 for the receiver. These are the ones I'm considering from Crutchfield:

Kenwood DMX4707S - $379.99

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DMX4707/Kenwood-DMX4707S.html?tp=72357

JVC KW-M56BT - $379.95

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KWM56BT/JVC-KW-M56BT.html?tp=72357

SONY XAV-AX3200 - $348.00

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XAV3200/Sony-XAV-AX3200.html?tp=72357

JENSEN CAR710X - $299.99

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_110CAR710X/Jensen-CAR710X-does-not-play-discs.html?tp=72357

They also have their BOSS brand which doesn't seem like the right choice, but it rates high with lots of reviews and is cheaper. For your money which of these would you go with?

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
I wound up getting a Joying just because it was an economical choice that still allows me to run a fiber optic cable to this 6-channel line driver that powers whatever speaker inputs I want. One cable to rule them all.

badass98svt

Reaction score
I've always used Kenwood, but it seriously just comes down to your preferences.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have generally went with alpine but I think mainly because I seemed to work for their dealers and with discounts and all just seemed easy. With that being said working for those dealers alpines do not get returned all that often. Now a few years back when I went to look at a new double din I liked the general lay out of the kenwood a little better and I knew they are a good brand as well. I use to LOVE JVC as well but I hear since kenwood bought they, they are now kenwoods entry level brand. Sony I have been hearing more good things about finally after years of bad things, jensen I have never considered for my own or a friends vehicle, maybe for a car that I had to put a radio in just to sell it but that would be the only time I would consider it.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
So are we thinking Kenwood out of those options with Sony as a second?
I would probably put kenwood/sony/alpine all at the top of the list and its just personal preference after that. I would suggest going and putting your hands on them before you decide as the user interface on some is easier for some than others.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
I would probably put kenwood/sony/alpine all at the top of the list and its just personal preference after that. I would suggest going and putting your hands on them before you decide as the user interface on some is easier for some than others.
I’ll take your advice and see what Bestbuy has… I’d the Sony is decent it would make my total with dash kit and everything under $400.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
its only the past couple years I think sony started to care about 12v again. They were slipping for a number of years. If your into sound quality they have one of the best out there but its not double din

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I ended up ordering the Kenwood last night, discovered the Kenwood had a capacitive screen and the Sony did not. That was worth the extra money for me… I think for my purposes and this not being a vehicle focused on audio, I’ll have room to grow a little over time. Anything is better than the stock head unit(s).

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I ended up ordering the Kenwood last night, discovered the Kenwood had a capacitive screen and the Sony did not. That was worth the extra money for me… I think for my purposes and this not being a vehicle focused on audio, I’ll have room to grow a little over time. Anything is better than the stock head unit(s).
you should be happy with the kenwood
Soundstream Reserve VR-7HB
I used this one, Crutchfield says it doesnt fit but with a little trim on the install kit it works fine. I did speaker upgrade but nothing crazy.
Unfortunately soundstream makes some good amps but from what I understand they just license their name out for the decks and they are not known for quality.

badass98svt

Reaction score
I don't think their Amps have been great for many years, much like PPI

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I don't think their Amps have been great for many years, much like PPI
your probably correct that I should have said they "have made" some good amps but yes just like ppi as you mentioned. PG is another brand that has slipped but not to the point of soundstream/ppi, I would do modern pg over modern soundstream/ppi but I would do old pg gear over almost all of it with very little exception

badass98svt

Reaction score
your probably correct that I should have said they "have made" some good amps but yes just like ppi as you mentioned. PG is another brand that has slipped but not to the point of soundstream/ppi, I would do modern pg over modern soundstream/ppi but I would do old pg gear over almost all of it with very little exception

I was always a big fan of the old art series PPI amps, and the gray series that came along after. Those early amps packed a HUGE punch, as long as you could supply the current.
The early Kicker amps were great too, Hafler also.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the art series was probably the only other amps of that era that I would have been into if we had a dealer nearby.

Ronnied

Reaction score
I was going cheap, sounds good and has enuff features for me. I'm not in the car a lot so I didn't need Bluetooth and such.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online