HELP! Oil pressure sending unit & IAC install...

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
“Uncle! I give up. You win”

About ready to throw in the towel on these two R&R projects so if anyone has pointers on how to best accomplish either or both, please, for my sanity, fire away!

1: IAC: Top bolt simple to remove. The bottom bolt... not so much. Too many tubes, wire looms, etc in the way. How do get that lower bolt off? Are we talking remove the entire intake manifold and throttle body linkage? Admittedly, my 1/4” elbow goes limp when I try to get the socket on the bolt but I still think the angel won’t clear the bump/ roundness of the IAC casing to get the socket on the bolt head. No way to get to it from underneath or behind, either.

2: Oil pressure sending unit: well, on the upshot... I located it. On the downside... I couldn’t find a deep socket that will remove it and I don’t have a tool in my arsenal to reach it, never mind getting my hands up in there!

Sure could use some help, insight, pointers, etc.... THANKS!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
your either not cursing enough, cursing loud enough, or a combination of the two. I normally find right about the time I start to wonder if the neighbors or neighbors kids are out and heard me that this normally start to work their way free one way or another... Mechanics are similar to chickens but instead of runnin around going "cluck cluck cluck" they run around going "fuck fuck fuck".

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, so you heard me??!!

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
I just took my iac unit unit off and put it on twice once to clean it once to replace it on my 94. Helps to use the smallest socket you have with an extension. After you move around the fuel lines a bit it's farely easy. Got mine off n about 15, you can do it!

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Tried all that with a 1/4” drive, skinny extensions of varying lengths, with and without an elbow. And nada! Tell ya what, bring your face mask and tools, pop on down from WA. I’ll get the beer cold and the food hot and you can show me how it’s done!

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
Tried all that with a 1/4” drive, skinny extensions of varying lengths, with and without an elbow. And nada! Tell ya what, bring your face mask and tools, pop on down from WA. I’ll get the beer cold and the food hot and you can show me how it’s done!
Lol if u were local I would for sure. Don't be afraid to move around this fuel injector lines

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, you got me motivated again. I’ll give it another try or two!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you can't be afraid to move things around that are in the way or modify tools to get them to work better or just break down and go buy what you need to do it. If you need it today, there is a pretty good chance at some time you will need it again tomorrow. There is a socket for the oil pressure sending unit or else there is also a regular socket that is close enough to get it off.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
“All niiiight lonnnnng”!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
you can't be afraid to move things around that are in the way or modify tools to get them to work better or just break down and go buy what you need to do it. If you need it today, there is a pretty good chance at some time you will need it again tomorrow. There is a socket for the oil pressure sending unit or else there is also a regular socket that is close enough to get it off.

ttocs,
If there is a socket, I’d sure love to know where I could find one! Two different hardware stores, two different auto stores, replacement oil pressure sending unit in hand to size up sockets, wrenches... anything that’d work. Nothing! Got close with a Metric 24mm socket but a bit too small. Next size up is a 27mm... too big, swimming inside it... not even a bite. Standard size 1 1/8” just misses. Are we talking Special Tool from Ford? Can’t get channel locks or a vice grip up in there either... no room!

May have to default to disconnecting couple of wire looms and 1 or 2 hoses (coolant will drain out) to hopefully clear enough space to get sufficient access to this Problem Child!

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
ttocs,
If there is a socket, I’d sure love to know where I could find one! Two different hardware stores, two different auto stores, replacement oil pressure sending unit in hand to size up sockets, wrenches... anything that’d work. Nothing! Got close with a Metric 24mm socket but a bit too small. Next size up is a 27mm... too big, swimming inside it... not even a bite. Standard size 1 1/8” just misses. Are we talking Special Tool from Ford? Can’t get channel locks or a vice grip up in there either... no room!

May have to default to disconnecting couple of wire looms and 1 or 2 hoses (coolant will drain out) to hopefully clear enough space to get sufficient access to this Problem Child!
Are you talking about the iac in the second paragraph?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
4BDFA821-5248-495E-BDED-942A9DB100BD.jpeg Well, I lucked out, thx to ttocs
My local NAPA had both the correct socket for the oil pressure sending unit (took it with me, made sure it fits) and a new 1/4” drive swivel. Mine was so loose I couldn’t anGle it in there at all. FWIW, that is a 1 1/16” 3/8 drive socket (27mm), which I did find at both Ace/True Value hardware and AutoZone, but neither fit. Guess they’re tooled differently by different manufacturers.

Now waiting for the driveway to dry so I can get under there and hopefully make short work of the oil pressure sending unit.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
wrap that sucker with some tape or something so you can tell it from all the other sockets easily or I swear the next time you look for it its like looking for a special needle in a stack of needles...

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Good call. Blue tape and a description in permanent marker should do it!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
wrap that sucker with some tape or something so you can tell it from all the other sockets easily or I swear the next time you look for it its like looking for a special needle in a stack of needles...

Done. Sticks out like a sore thumb on my socket branch!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I tried once again to R&R my new sworn enemy, the oil pressure sending unit, but to no avail. Even with the new found wind in my sails provided by all your support, here’s where I tried (and failed again):
1. Put th front end on ramps and jacked it up as high as my floor jack could, supporting it with additional jack stands. All this to give me the little bit of extra room I thought would give me to get under there and rip thru this;

2. still could not get enough of a grip(fingertipsor otherwise) on the wire to remove it. Still not sure if it pulls off or unscrews because the replacements post is threaded;

3. went to Plan B: take other’s advice and “don’t be afraid to move things”. Problem is, I’m not afraid, I just can’t! I tried wedging cooler lines off, twisting by hand, unscrewing clamps, etc but either couldn’t get the hose to budge and pull away (sacrificing a coolant change, which would’ve been ok with me to get this done) or due to my arthritis in hands and one shoulder, didn’t have the strength to separate the hose from the connector. VERY frustrating on many levels!

So, it looks like I’m going to have to default to a mechanic or the Ford dealership service Dept to get this done. Sure wish I had a lift. Feel pretty certain that I could get in there and get this done with more room to work with. Not proud, but I used combinations of sear words that would make a truck driver blush!

BTW, is there some magic trick to separating the hoses on these cars from collars, etc? I have never had so much difficulty in doing so and I’ve built 2 resto’s and have done all my own maintenance on numerous/various cars I’ve owned over the last 40 years!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the wire just pulls off. Its threaded to help it keep hold but it does not turn. Just wiggle a little and pull at the same time.

Which hoses are we talking about now?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I was hoping that was the case with the wire connector and seeing as there’s not enough slack in the wire to rotate it a bunch of times, I felt pretty certain the old wiggle and pull would get it to come loose. Wanted to make sure though so I didn’t find out the hard way!

There are 2 hoses
. One is the lower radiator hose with that thick “pincher” style clamp. The other is right next to it, inboard. Believe it runs up behind a pulley in front of the engine and continues across the top front over towards the intake/throttle body vacinity.

Oh, and there’s also a wire connection that’s a SOB to disconnect. I’ve tinkered with it and get the feeling that after 25 years of being hooked together, it’ll break the snap before releasing it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.