Help planning re-build

mattmathis

Reaction score
Ok, I've been wanting to do this for a while, and I've decided I'm going to take out a small loan and go ahead and do this thing. So I'd really like to learn as much as I can before I go and talk to someone about it. I've decided I want to rebuild my own, have it rebuilt that is. Instead of going with a crate.

First of all any links to sites or tutorials about rebuilding would be greatly appreciated. I guess I don't know enough yet to even search.

What parts are normally replaced in a rebuild? Are the heads, pistons, intake etc usually replaced or is that just if you want to upgrade? I know I want to put a different cam shaft in it because from what I can understand that's where a lot of the sound originates, and every time I hear a car I love the way it sounds I find out it has an aftermarket cam. I see rebuild kits for around $300-400 and then there's the top end kits like trickflow for $2000-3000. So, Do I only need one of the top end kits if I want really high performance? If I want to go back stock with a better cam can I do that?

Again, I don't mind reading about this stuff. I'm sure it's been covered, but I can't really find it I guess. Feel free to direct me somewhere I can learn.

Thanks!

99GreenStang

Reaction score
Well all of this depends on what YOU want and how far you want to take it my friend. You could replace the top end with one of those trickflow top end kits and be happy I'm sure , but if you want to rebuild the whole engine like if it has a lot of miles or started using oil or you just want too your gonna need a master rebuild kit.

Your engine consist of a top end and an bottom end. The bottom end being the rotating assembly ( crank , rods , pistons ) Upgrading your bottom end can be beneficial if you plan on big upgrades in the future such as forced induction ( turbo or blower etc) or just to have that extra added strength over Stock parts.

The top end consist of the ( heads , camshaft , intake ) most kits will also include lifters and various other parts depending on which you get. The top end if it all is designed to work together for example ( your camshaft makes power from 1500-6500 , your intake makes power from Idle to 7000 that means both power bands are gonna compliment one another )

this is an example of 2 components that won't compliment one another ( camshaft makes power from 4500-8000 and the intake makes power from Idle to 5500 that means your camshaft won't even be making any power until 4500 so your car will feel sluggish until you wind all the way up to 4500RPM in that situation.

As for replacing parts: Like I said earlier a lot of it comes down to how much you want to spend and what your goals are . You don't have to replace Heads , or lifters or pushrods or your intake or any of the bottom end if you don't want too just check for wear and replace if you feel the need too.

My final conclusion is this sounds like to me you are really green and you like the sound of a cam and just want some good streetable power. Just buy you a TrickFlow Top End kit and be done with it . It will pick your HP up and Torque and the camshaft that's included will give you the sound you are wanting. My tips to you are : Go buy a How to rebuild book for this project if your attempting it alone with no one with experience , ask a lot of questions if your not sure , buy a good torque wrench , make sure to use RTV and thread sealers where needed , and follow torque sequences and poundage for your application .

Good Luck my friend God Bless you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tykempster

Reaction score
Do you wanna attempt to do this yourself? The above advice was very good. If you want a cam, decide where you want the power. Find one that idles how you like. Heads and intake will be necessary for good power. Or boost....

OP
OP
mattmathis

mattmathis

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! That does seem like great info! No, I will most definitely not be doing the work myself. lol I wish I could, but I wouldn't even know where to begin.
I've been reading more and more, and from what I can see rebuilding is going to cost a ton of labor. Would I be better off with something like this?

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com...Mustang-Ford-Racing-306ci-340-HP-Crate-Engine

Another thing is, the current motor is no using oil or anything like that, as far as I can tell it still runs great. There's just over 200k and I figured it was about time. But an older guy at work that used to be a hot rodder, told me he would not rebuild it if there was nothing wrong with it. He said just put in a cam if I wanted to. What do you guys think about that?

Thanks again!

99GreenStang

Reaction score
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/mll-bp3472ct. This is a lot better deal and setup and has more torque and more capabilities in the future for you . They have the 347 stroker that's fully dressed for 4,899

or you can get it Base dressed which includes and HEI distributor and a Carb for 3,995

The one I gave you the link too is the base .

Part numbers are as such:

BASE - MLL-bp3472ct 3,399

Base Dressed - MLL-BP3472ctcs for 3,3995

FULLY dressed - MLL-BP3472ctc
For 4,899 ( includes HEI , carb , water pump , fuel pump , spark plug wires , and harmonic balancer )

Go to summitracing.com and type in the part numbers to view these engines the 347 stroker would make you very happy I'm sure and for a better price and provide more future capabilities .

200,000 is a lot of miles and I would rebuild it cause there's no better time than right now

. The 347 stroker Crate engine I have shown you will be a great choice and I think it's well worthwhile buying an engine if you are unable to rebuild the one you have and this engine will give you the performance you want and the sound and be future modification capable.

Building a motor isn't rocket science it's actually rather easy and can be accomplished if you believe in yourself and have some patience but I do understand wanting to just buy one and throw it in and be ready to go as well.

Changing the camshaft and not rebuilding a motor that has 200 thousand on it in my opinion wouldn't be ideal even if it's not using oil it's got some wear and tear and I'm sure could use a replacement or rebuild .

Good luck God Bless you

gtwo

Reaction score
At 200k on a pushrod motor I would rebuild. Consider if a part does fail, the damage it could do to other parts,including the block, could be very costly.

tykempster

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! That does seem like great info! No, I will most definitely not be doing the work myself. lol I wish I could, but I wouldn't even know where to begin.
I've been reading more and more, and from what I can see rebuilding is going to cost a ton of labor. Would I be better off with something like this?

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com...Mustang-Ford-Racing-306ci-340-HP-Crate-Engine

Another thing is, the current motor is no using oil or anything like that, as far as I can tell it still runs great. There's just over 200k and I figured it was about time. But an older guy at work that used to be a hot rodder, told me he would not rebuild it if there was nothing wrong with it. He said just put in a cam if I wanted to. What do you guys think about that?

Thanks again!

Hey man, don't be scared to do it yourself! Or at least the top end. I knew almost 0 about cars just a year or two ago, bought my stang because I wanted to learn. Started by adding a cold air intake, then some shocks and struts, then pulled out the computer and put a cheap in, etc etc, ended up building a motor over christmas break! Sure there were plenty of small things that took forever, but I learned so much about how my car works, and if you follow instructions it's hard to mess up real bad. I was extremely nervous too, but just make sure you tighten all your bolts and get gaskets on right, and label all your sensors and stuff with tape. Take plenty of pics to refer back to as well!

OP
OP
mattmathis

mattmathis

Reaction score
Thanks again for the replies! I would love to do it myself, and I might consider it if I had a nice garage etc. But I don't :(

And Thanks for the info Green! I will definitely take that into consideration!

Its' still up in the air which route I"m going to take, but I got an estimate from a speed shop in atlanta. $3500-$4000 for the whole thing. Taking it out, rebuilding engine and heads, all machine work, and putting it back in. Parts included. Is this a reasonable price?

99GreenStang

Reaction score
Not in my book it's not a reasonable price considering you can build a whole engine in about 2 hours if you take your time and about an hour if you are moving swiftly or if your an NHRA mechanic about 15 minutes lol

Them rebuilding your current engine isn't going to provide you with the performance you want cause it will still be a stock motor where as the 347 engine I showed you would not be a stock motor.

Think about it this way. Your block is 15 years old ish and they wanna take it and rebuild it more than likely to stock specs just using new parts ( they will proble reuse the crank and the heads and the rods and who knows what else!!) but for the same amount of money if not less you could have a Professionally built 347 stroker engine that hasn't been around for 15 years and is fresh to the world .

As for the labor charge honestly man if you bought the 347 stroker engine. All your going to need is

a engine hoist or and A frame ( something to lift the motor)

A simple ratchet set I prefer 1/2 and some deepwell sockets.

A couple of wrenches SAE and metric .

And just a little patience ! I'm sure you have a friend or someone that's pulled an engine before and installed one. It's really not hard at all as simple as lifting one up and putting new one in and bolting everything on it ask your friends , family etc .

Good luck God Bless

99GreenStang

Reaction score
I'm just in East Tennessee if you were a shade bit closer I would help you!

OP
OP
mattmathis

mattmathis

Reaction score
I appreciate that. I really appreciate the help you are giving! Honestly I really can't think of anyone, that I would trust to do it right. There is maybe one or two people I know that probably could do it. I just don't know if I trust them to actually do it right.

I was looking at that motor you posted again, Do you run those with a Carburetor?
Can you run them fuel injected?
What do most people do?
Can I use my current intake?
What else would I need for the install part wise?

And would I need the fully or base dressed? I don't know what a harmonic balancer is, but I just replaced the water pump, would i need a different one or would the oem work?

99GreenStang

Reaction score
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/mll-bp3472ctc. Get this one right here . It's ready to go it comes with everything just put flywheel on the back and your ready to drop it in. It includes everything as you can see in the link I provided .
Brand: BluePrint Engines
Manufacturer's Part Number: BP3472CTC
Part Type: Crate Engines
Product Line: BluePrint Engines Ford 347 Stroker 330HP Value Power Carbureted Crate Engines
Summit Racing Part Number: MLL-BP3472CTC
Engine Assembly Style: Long block
Crate Engine Cylinder Head Material: Cast iron
Assembled: Yes
Engine Balance: External, 28 oz. imbalance
Intake Manifold Included: Yes
Cylinder Heads Included: Yes
Carburetor Included: Yes
Throttle Body Included: No
Distributor Included: Yes
Oil Pan Included: Yes
Valve Covers Included: Yes
Timing Cover Included: Yes
Water Pump Included: Yes
Harmonic Balancer Included: Yes
Flexplate Included: No
Flywheel Included: No
Air Cleaner Included: No
Spark Plugs Included: Yes
Spark Plug Wires Included: Yes
Computer Included: No
Wiring Harness Included: No
Rear Main Seal Style: 1-piece
Quantity: Sold individually.
Notes: Includes a rear sump oil pan. With standard rotation water pump. Holds 5 quarts of oil plus filter and uses FRAM PH8A, ACF-FL1A, or equivalent filter.

Just bolt on your flywheel/flex plate and put oil in and filter , hook fuel line up , hook power to your distributor on it ( 2 wires ) and should be ready to go my friend. Buying the fully dressed one will not only simplify things for you but will probably save you money in the long run as well.

You won't need a water pump this one has it included .

This engine I provided link too is carb'd and it comes with the carb as well ready to go, you could buy the stuff to convert it too fuel injection but it would not be worth the money and you wouldn't gain hp if anything you would proble lose some and with a carb you can tune it yourself and not worry about a computer going crazy on you.

You don't need an intake this engine already has provided for you so no worries there either .

The harmonic balancer or dampner is a weighted round piece that bolts onto the front of the crankshaft and has numbers on it that are used for timing the engine and it also reduces harmonics or vibrations from the engine and valve train and attempts to eliminate an engine shaking or vibration , noise etc etc.

Some engines are internally balanced so they don't require one this means the crankshaft has been balanced ( they drill out spots on the crank in order to make it be perfectly balanced or they add weight somewhere , similar too balancing wheels I guess for example)

I would buy the engine I provided you the link too in this post that's Fully dressed and I'm sure you will be very happy with it and it will also build your confidence in your automotive skills of installing an engine my friend. Sorry for long post I wanted to give you all the information I could give and try to simplify things .

Good luck Hope I helped ! God Bless you

99GreenStang

Reaction score
Oh and as for them doing it right and trusting them just help them all the way through it my friend

and it someone pulls out a hammer , jig saw , torch , welder , or a cutting torch don't trust them LOL!

No but seriously just watch over them and ask questions and as long as it feels good and you feel confident in what their saying and doing then let them show you if there capable and build trust and help you build confidence in them it's not rocket science like I say . I can put a motor in a car In about an hour easily with a Standard and Metric 3/8 drive ratchet set and a set of wrenches like 11/16 , 7/8 , 1 inch , 7/16 and a few screwdrivers .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online