Help!! Strong smell of gas, sputtering then car dies

ramrod

Reaction score
Does anyone have any ideas what can be wrong with my car? I was driving to work with no issues 95% of the way. The only thing i noticed was when i stopped at a red light there was a noticeable strong smell of fuel. But overall the car ran fine. It was when i was about five miles from work i stopped at a red light and the car started to sputter and the rpms started dropping. Luckily i was able to get off the road into a parking lot before it died. When trying to start it i can hear the fuel pump turn on and the car will turn on but then sputters out after about 10-15 seconds. When the car finally turned on and idled, there was a strong smell of gas but it still stayed on. When i cut the car off and turned it on again it would do the same thing......on for about 10-15 seconds then sputter till it died. After a while i was able to get the car on and it ran ok to get it across the street to a gas station where it sits right now. When i drove it to the gas station it was fine but when i cut it off again and turned it back on it did the same thing and sputtered till it died. Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? I just put a brand new motorcraft ignition pack on it about a month ago. I havent checked the cap/rotor yet. Its on the not so good side of town and its night time so i didnt want to stay out there too long. It just seems like its not burning the fuel and flooding itself out. There is gas in the tank too. LOL!

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Kind of has symptoms of a dying fuel pump. Like you said evap could be causing issues.

OP
OP
R

ramrod

Reaction score
Kind of has symptoms of a dying fuel pump. Like you said evap could be causing issues.

So i guess replace EVAP purge valve, lines and canister? I read a bad evap purge valve can cause misfire, rough idle and not starting. And the gas smell is strong from the passenger fender well.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Smog spog..........

Move on and be happy!!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member