Help w breaking in motor ..

xs man 27

Reaction score
i recently have pulled my old motor out and put in a used motor with 65 k miles on the stock bottom end and did a complete HCI swap with lifters, cam shaft , rr's push rods, etc.. when should i change the motor oil and should i put in another comp cam break in oil i have ? when i put the oil in few months ago i added the comp cam break in oil and was wondering if i need to put in another one or not ? also what oil does everyone prefer.. thank you

fiveohwblow

Reaction score
Is this a roller cam/setup or solid? I suggest running around 100 miles on break in oil if break in lube is used and then change it.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I don't think you have to break in roller cams, I know I didn't with mine. Just synthetic oil and go.

fiveohwblow

Reaction score
I don't think you have to break in roller cams, I know I didn't with mine. Just synthetic oil and go.
Exactly where I was going with that. Its not necessary. Dont see how it could hurt anything, but certainly not necessary.

ivan12

Reaction score
If it's a new cam then I'd suggest flushing the oil after 50-100 miles and putting 2 good magnetic drain plugs.

ivan12

Reaction score
Sometimes new parts including camshafts aren't 100% burr free. Why risk shortening the life of the engine over a $30-$40 oil change.

OP
OP
X

xs man 27

Reaction score
i should have said a lil more info ... sorry,... its a 95 gt with a stock bottom end w a hci swap.. i did put it a bottle of comp cam break in oil in the beginning but i did not i did not put it royal purple oil in it knowing i was gonna change out soon... so even though i have brand new cam shaft, lifters, roller rockers, push rods, cylinder heads, i should not put in another bottle of the break in oil with my next oil change ? i do have the bottle already so its not gonna cost anything i just don't wanna do any harm to it if too much is no good and figured if it wont hurt the engine to put it in while i have it n if i don't use it now i prob wont end up using it.. whats the average miles you should change your first oil change when doing a fresh swap and all new compenents ? thanks again

fiveohwblow

Reaction score
i should have said a lil more info ... sorry,... its a 95 gt with a stock bottom end w a hci swap.. i did put it a bottle of comp cam break in oil in the beginning but i did not i did not put it royal purple oil in it knowing i was gonna change out soon... so even though i have brand new cam shaft, lifters, roller rockers, push rods, cylinder heads, i should not put in another bottle of the break in oil with my next oil change ? i do have the bottle already so its not gonna cost anything i just don't wanna do any harm to it if too much is no good and figured if it wont hurt the engine to put it in while i have it n if i don't use it now i prob wont end up using it.. whats the average miles you should change your first oil change when doing a fresh swap and all new compenents ? thanks again

I dont find any need to add the additional break in lube on the oil change. I would swap out around 100 miles as previously stated to the oil and filter you plan on running for the remainder of the life of the engine.

99GreenStang

Reaction score
normal break in procedure is usually of course you have your zinc lubrication on your lifters and camshaft , if you built the engine I always use STP honey on my pistons and cylinder walls as well. Some people claim you shouldnt break in with synthetic but I have not heard of any of them going wrong and I also broke in with castrol gtx full synthetic . I believe you bring the car to around 1500-2000 rpm and hold it there for around 30 minutes to break in . Hope this helps you my friend some one correct me please if im wrong but I believe this to be correct.

OP
OP
X

xs man 27

Reaction score
ok thanks for all the replys ... what oil does everyone use ? its cold here where i live and unfort i don't have a garage so im going to go some oil change spot local and switch out the oil and not worry about the more break in oil... when i do my own oil changes i usually go with royal purple... beings its the winter and i need a quick lube change whats a good brand and type you guys suggest i look for ? id feel a lot better with newer oil in for the winter and change it out in 3 months... thanks again all for help....

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I use Castrol synthetic blend currently 10w30.
I have always used Castrol oil in all my cars. currently 99 suburban-200,000+ miles, 95 mustang-200,000+miles, 89 toyota 4x4- 300,000+miles.

fiveohwblow

Reaction score
I use Castrol synthetic blend currently 10w30.
I have always used Castrol oil in all my cars. currently 99 suburban-200,000+ miles, 95 mustang-200,000+miles, 89 toyota 4x4- 300,000+miles.
+1 I either use Castrol or Valvoline.

OP
OP
X

xs man 27

Reaction score
thansk for all the responses .. i got a question about if there is any oil that is made for break in period already packaged n mixed to go in quarts ? not referring to break in oil additive , i used in my first oil change that i have not have not changed and going to soon trying to find best suggestions... thanks again..

being my motor has all fresh brand new camshaft ,rr, pushrods, hci swap ,,, and since installed i only have autozone oil in there w the comp cam break in additive.. looking to flush it out and change oil .. wondering if there is any oil i should look into being my parts are all fresh and than after go to a high mileage sythentic oil ? thanks again for all the help guys..

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
When I broke in my engine I ran out for 5 min flushed it out in fresh oil. Changed it 500 miles later. then again at 1500. Then normal after that.. using regular cheap oil..

99GreenStang

Reaction score
my advice is use the STP engine honey when building your next engine and use some zinc on the cam and lifters and then just run some good castrol synthetic oil. you will be okay.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrowdKiller

Members online