Help? With Headlights?**Pic Added**

Foster98GT

Reaction score
Anyone know where i can find a headlight removal write up for our cars?

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
Re: Help?

I haven't seen a write up. But, if it's the same as a 95 . . it's a pain in the ass. The trick is to release the tabs without breaking them off. They are hard to get to and even harder to get a toll on. I used a pair of needle nosed pliers.

The tabs kind of look like bullets. You have to squeeze in the sides (between the splits) while pulling the headlight out.

Take the corners off first, they are easy and will allow you access to the tabs.

Of course, your radiator cover needs to come off in oder to get any of it out.

OP
OP
F

Foster98GT

Reaction score
Re: Help? With Headlights?

Man this is harder than i thought it would be. Are the tabs on the same side as the park light near the headlamp adjustment screw? Ive been squeezing and pulling threre and getting nowhere. How many locking tabs hold them in?

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score

Foster98GT said:
Man this is harder than i thought it would be. Are the tabs on the same side as the park light near the headlamp adjustment screw? Ive been squeezing and pulling threre and getting nowhere. How many locking tabs hold them in?

There are two in each light. One is near the corner light and the other is WAY inside near the inside edge of the light. They are really hard to get out without breaking them. The tabs are actually on the end of the adjustment screws . . if it's the same as a 95. You need to make sure you are squeezing the right part. They are bullet saped with two opposed sides that squeeze in.

97blackgt

Reaction score

jut keep fighting with it and they will come out...they are kind of a bitch like truble said because there is no room to work and the tabs are just cheap plastic

Once u find out how they come out and see how they work the new ones will be a lot easier to put in thoug

good luck O0

Twista

Legend
Reaction score

Whatever you do! Don't become a headlight killer like me ;] I wish our headlights were simple to install/uninstall like the 99-04 mustangs ;[

BE CAREFUL WITH THE ADJUSTER.. THEY LOOK LIKE BULLETS LIKE TRUBBLE SAID. I BROKE ALL OF MINE ALMOST SO 1 LIGHT IS HANGING AND YOU CAN MOVE THE LIGHT FROM OUTSIDE. ACTUALLY, i adjust my lights daily to drive rofl by moving it up and down. There correctly adjusted, but on some roads its a pain to see because of the smoked lenses.

if its a 1997 mustang than i c an help ya straight through it.

1st of all. Your car doesnt have any tabs holding it in like 95KBGT's. Just forget that step b/c i litterally stood at my car for 10 minutes looking for tabs to pull. Thats only for the 5.0's i guess.

2nd. Theres a metal clip on the left top adjuster you need to pull it UP with pylers or something. Heres a pic of the clip (you will need to reinstall on your new headlights)-
LRS-13020B.jpg

3rd- All you have left is the 4 adjusters to squeeze the hell out of than your headlights will pull off.
LRS-13032D.jpg

4- With a pair of LONG needle nose pylers squeeze the adjuster where the sides budge out on them. Doing this should allow you to pull the headlight about an inch of so. Do this for all 3 of the adjusters and than pull on the whole headlight itself and it should pop out.

Thats all.

For the install.

1. When screwing/adjusting the adjusters make sure you screw the adjuster to were you can safely use the long needle nose pilers to remove it. I mean don't point the budging sides up and one down. You will end up breaking the adjuster trying to remove it if you need to readjust your lights (trust me.. its how i became a headlight murderer)

Warning. Those adjusters are pretty expensive once you break about 5. they cost 6.95 each. Buying a new set will cost $41 not including the shipping. If you do break acouple try your best to remove your old ones from your stockers. It took me hours to do mine and guess what.. i only got 1 off and the rest are rusted shut on the stocker headlights :'(

edit: you have a 1998 GT, so it should be similar to my install.

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score

i did a write up in the how-to section

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

They are a PITA,
needle nose pliers and fingertip squeeze FTW.

OP
OP
F

Foster98GT

Reaction score

Thanks for the replies guys. Twista yer write up was dead on, and had great Warning tips. I got them out and have the new ones in. The new pair dont fit as well as the stockers the headlight doesnt match up to the park. Pics to come!

...and on to my next mod!

Twista

Legend
Reaction score

Foster98GT said:
Thanks for the replies guys. Twista yer write up was dead on, and had great Warning tips. I got them out and have the new ones in. The new pair dont fit as well as the stockers the headlight doesnt match up to the park. Pics to come!

...and on to my next mod!

glad i could help ;] Too bad i had to fuck up my adjusters to find out the right way for 96-97-98's with my smokes. Hopefully, my projector install goes smooth.

myk

Reaction score

Forget the pliers. Instead, use a small box-end wrench to grasp all of the tabs simultaneously...

Twista

Legend
Reaction score

myk said:
Forget the pliers. Instead, use a small box-end wrench to grasp all of the tabs simultaneously...
i like this idea also.. i might even try it. Im sick of using pliers to remove those things.

Something like this, correct?
half-moon-end.jpg

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score

yeah paul did a really nice write up for when everyone on the forums bought them from Art...

glad you got em switched out though! pics?

Twista

Legend
Reaction score

[TxCobrA98 said:
]
yeah paul did a really nice write up for when everyone on the forums bought them from Art...

glad you got em switched out though! pics?

Paul is the man! :banana:

WyoTechMSA

Reaction score

You can adjust the headlight in so it fits with the corner lamp

Twista

Legend
Reaction score

myk said:
t05_i.jpg
Like this right?? You wouldn't know what exact size i need to remove thoses boogers would you?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Once you figure out those little metal clips are holding it on everything after that was easy...I can swap them in like 5 mins now. The first time i did it i destroyed the adjustment arms on my stock lights.

Twista

Legend
Reaction score

DropTopPony said:
Once you figure out those little metal clips are holding it on everything after that was easy...I can swap them in like 5 mins now. The first time i did it i destroyed the adjustment arms on my stock lights.

5 minutes. What tool did you use to squeeze the adjusters? I could do mine in 5 minutes by breaking everything lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online