Help with OBDII Code/What's first on my list

delling3

Reaction score
96 Mustang GT. 97,XXX miles. I have owned it for about a year, and have put very few of those miles on the car myself, but it has always started up, with good response and smooth idle.

This morning the car started easy, and I pulled out of the driveway with everything seeming normal. I was low on gas (below 1/8 on the gauge), and my first stop was the gas station. About a mile from the pump, the car suddenly started to run like crap. Big loss of power, crappy idle, felt like it was running on less than all eight cylinders. My first thought was that I was running out of gas. As I pulled up to the the pump, the car died. I fueled up, and started the car, thinking that if I was indeed running out of gas, but the problem did not improve. As I started to head back to the garage, the check engine light came on. I hooked up an OBDII scanner, and I have code P0308. According to what I found on the web, this would indicate a cylinder 8 misfire.

I don't know when the plugs were last changed. The wires I suspect are the originals. The fuel filter was replaced a few years back.

So, given the above, what would you suggest? Should I just replace the plugs and wires, and see if that resolves the issue? Would a clogged fuel filter cause a P0308 code, or is this strictly electrical?

I checked to make sure the plug wire is seated at both the coil pack and on the plug, and reset the trouble code. I started the car back up, and it was still running like crap, and after a short drive the light was back on, and the P0308 code was back as well. I would normally suspect the plug and or wire, but the coincidence of being low on fuel has me second guessing. Thanks.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
It almost sounds like you sucked up the last of the dirty/bad gas at the bottom of the tank and maybe clogged up an injector. I would start myself by pulling the plugs to see what they look like.

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
If I was to guess, more than one cylinder is misfiring, but I only get P0308. Could multiple cylinders be misfiring, and only one throw a code? If I indeed got some crap into the injector(s), what is my corrective action? Can they be effectively cleaned, or do I just order new/rebuilt? Do them all, or just the bad injectors?

I have been planning to do plugs and wires (already purchased and have them waiting for me). I have another thread about the problems I am having removing the old plugs. I started in on the project last weekend, and actually started with #8 cylinder (yes, the same one that is now throwing a code). Once I could not get a socket onto the to remove it, I simply reinstalled the plug wire, with the plan to wait until later this year when I plan to do a PI intake and cam swap, but now this is forcing my hand.

I think my plan now is change out all the plugs and wires (assuming I can figure out the right socket to get the @$)*'ing plugs out, and see if that clears the issue. If not, then I will move to the fuel system.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
injectors can be cleaned. If it is dirty gas you will need to drain the tank, swap the filter and then clean or replace the injectors. You can try a gas additive once the tank is drained or the best bet is to send them off for professional cleaning.

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
Well, at long last I have an answer. The fuel filter/clogged injector wasn't an issue. I finally got a socket that could remove the plugs. They all looked pretty good, and uniform. However I did note some moisture beneath the #8 plug boot. I suspect that must have occurred while I was cleaning the engine bay (although I was really careful to avoid this). I suspect that the spark was shorting to the head. Now have new plugs and wires in, no CIL, and back to running strong like previously. I am surprised that only being down one cylinder was causing that poor of a running condition. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If moisture was causing it to ground to the block then you were not necessarily down one cylinder. The charge can cause the other plugs to misfire cause your grounding out the ignition system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt