Help with PATS system

aussiebj

Reaction score
OK I have a post over in the Road Racing section.. A little history first.. I have a 94 gt that was my track car and I picked up a sweet 98 cobra off a friend of mine for a grate deal to do a cobra swap into my 94..The cobra was hit so hard in the left quarter it was totaled...that's why I did not just try and fix the cobra the car is tweeked bad..
So I started parting out the cobra all along the motor was a runner..... I removed everything from my crashed 98 cobra and all im left with is the drivetrain still in the car
Like doors, fenders, interior, air bags including front sensors , and she still started and ran grate until ....

I pulled out the ignition key tumbler to remove the upper streering colum plastic and now the car wont start.. The THEFT light on the dash blinks fast then after about 2 miniutes It blinks once and then 6 times and repeats this .. im thinking this is a code 16..
Can I remove the PATS system (Remember its going in a gutted race car) and and hope this motor will run in my race car.. what does this mean..

I have tried to remove the battery and reset the computer .. I have done the turn key to run for 15 miniutes then off .. 3 times with no avail as of now im at a loss...
I have only one key and I cant bring a carcass of the car to the dealer..

What can I do to get this frigging thing started.. I jumped the starter and atleast she can crank that way

Any help would be greatly appreciated..
Barry

wmfateam

Reaction score
I had all the blinking issues you speak of, I tried the reprogram, new battery, checked grounds. I ended up getting an SCT tuner and just disabling the PATS system because mine too is a race car.

OP
OP
aussiebj

aussiebj

Reaction score
That seams to be the only fix I cant believe we just cant jump out a few wires to disable the stupid module , does anyone know where the PATS module is I have two boxes in the trunk one activates when I press the door lock and trunk its a black box with 3 conector the other is a cream colored box with a sticker to call a number if removed..

wmfateam

Reaction score
I believe the Hanes manual has a description of where the module is. I was told you can take it to ford and they can reprogram or replace, can't remember, and get two new keys.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you probably just bumped the ring that goes around the cylinder that reads the key to where its not reading now.

OP
OP
aussiebj

aussiebj

Reaction score
OK I found a guy locally that will come to my house and reflash the computer for $75 bucks, but he needs another ford key so I guess that will be around 50 bucks , so for $125 its an expensive lesson..

red94

Reaction score
Dont pay 50 bux for those keys. You can get them online for less than 5 bux. Key blank is an h72pt. Take it to a locksmith and have them duplicate it, that should only cost a buck or two. Then take it to your buddy. If it were me i would remove the coil from the housing and tape the transponder key to the coil and zip tie it somewhere under the dash. That way you can use any ole key to start the car. To reprogram the pats system you need to have two transponder keys so i would buy two just in case your existing one is damaged.

Link for key
http://mysecuritypro.com/FordH72-PTTransponderKeyBlanks.aspx

I am an automotive locksmith btw.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
unfortunately since he can't get his to start with any key taping the key to the ignition will not work.

red94

Reaction score
Maybe I wasn't clear. I meant after he gets them programmed. My post was mainly for him not to pay high dollar for keys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online