Help with swapping the coolant tube: PI Intake Swap

delling3

Reaction score
Guys -

This project has been stalled for far too long, and I am trying to jump start it. 96 GT Vert. Started a cam and PI Intake swap last fall, I am getting pretty close to being done. My latest stubling block is removing the bracket that secures the back end of the coolant tube that runs down the valley of the motor. I know that some cars had one bolt, and some have two. In my case there is two. The problem is getting a wrench onto the head of the bolts. There is just so little room between the firewall and the backside of the block. 10lbs of shit in a 5 pound box. I have tried a socket/ratchet, an offset box end wrench, a open end wrench, and a ratcheting box end wrench.

There must be a solution here. Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I’ve always been able to get a wrench or a 1/4” ratchet in there. Maybe you need a flex head ratchet wrench to get in there?

Jules98GT

Reaction score
If you got spares, heat one up and give the box end the offset that will get it done for you.
I've done that, after too many damn trips to the auto parts store already... lol

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
These guys have some real world experience! Solid advice!

Ive never been in this situation with the 5.4l. You learn real quick with that biga$$ engine to have all your ducks lined up before installing in the engine bay cause you wont be working on it. It has to come out!

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
What side of the engine are you guys able to access the bolts from? I got the upper bolt out from the left side, but cant even get close to reaching the lower bolt head. I can almost reach it from the right side, but the EGR tube and some other ancillary bracketry is making it all but impossible to get a wrench seated on the bolt. I went out and bought a extra long flex head ratchet, but still no dice. Any chance this can be accessed from below in the transmission tunnel? Two days now with zero progress due to this damn bolt. I was actually thinking of trying to take a sawzall to it and just leave the lower mounting bolt in place, but I hate to do that.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Yes their is more access underneath. Might require some ratchet extensions and blind searching with your hand. Removing the starter will definitely gain some access.

And this is when i apologize.....welcome to the modulars!!!

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I believe you can get it from the bottom to
I personally don't like modifying tools
I am the type that will go buy the tool
Snap on and matco have some bad ass specialty wrench combose that are for tight places

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
You might be able to get it underneath with a swivel socket and a super long extension (I’ve got a 3’ extension for transmissions). You might be able to drop the transmission crossmember and lower the tail of the trans down to gain room, but that would also require you to drop the exhaust.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online