help!

Downshift

Reaction score
Ok so I got home tonight and my car has this weird sound at idle. It sounds a lot like a diesel engine. The kinda dull growl noise it is. Its dark out and I am totally lost but it sounds more like something in or around the heads. Can someone help me out here haha? Maybe bent pusrods or something with the lifters?

95CALI-5.0

Reaction score
Are you blowing smoke out the rear??
Also make sure it's not an exhaust leak from the headers....

OP
OP
D

Downshift

Reaction score
No smoke. Ill take another look tomorrow. Its not an exhaust leak. I would take a video but the noise most likely wont show up. I know for a fact its not an exhaust leak though. It sounds just like a diesel engine idle. I'm really lost although it does sound like its top end.

hottwheels04

Reaction score
Umm i hate to say it but ur problem sounds like how my car sounded, good luck

OP
OP
D

Downshift

Reaction score
Which meant what?

Anyway Im almost postive its a lifter. Had my dad and two friends all look at it seperatly and they all agreed that it was either a lifter or at least valvetrain. I read up on worn lifters in my engine book from my class im in right now and it seems to be the culprit as far as once the oil is thin it starts making noise and it only being at idle. Ill ask my engine teacher tomorrow night what he thinks.

Addermk2

Reaction score
perhaps you should use a slightly thinker oil.... 10w30 maybe.

jpajkos

Reaction score
Throw some marvels mystery oil in it. See if the sound goes away. If it does I would say then it a lifter. Dont it get faster at all when you rev it up? Bring it by the house man give me a call we'll take a look at it. Grab a stethiscope (spelling) see if you can pin point it. When my rod bearing went it sounded like a sharp metallic sound and it go faster as I gave it more gas. I wouldn't think a lifter would make you car sound like a diesel however.

OP
OP
D

Downshift

Reaction score
I just changed the oil like 3 days before it started making noise. The level is fine I just checked it 2 days ago and again today. I put 10w30 in it. So I don't think its any of those.

Friend I was talking to about it was telling me to put some ATF in my oil before I change it out to just see if its dirty.

Jessie, sorry man I was camping this weekend I would have stopped by. When I first start it you cant hear it but if I leave it at idle you can start to hear it better and if you stick you head near the driver side you can hear it pretty good. Doesn't sound as loud as a diesel but if you think of that noise while you listen for it you will know what I'm talking about. And if I rev it up a bit at idle it goes away.

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
good luck man i hate those noises you have no clue where they are comming from :rant:

OP
OP
D

Downshift

Reaction score
Haha thanks man. Especially when you know they are coming from the engine I would trade any other noise for an engine related one lol. Thanks. Any ideas ill consider here guys til I figure it out.

95 Sleeper

Reaction score
Sounds to me it is a BAD lifter. Since when you rev up it goes away.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online