Hi! Just got myself a 96 Cobra here in Sweden

Benne02

Reaction score
Hello there, this is my second Mustang at the young age of 20. I bought my first mustang just over a year ago, that was a 3.8 V6 New Edge, I just recently sold that car at quite a financial loss (altough it was to a friend of mine) in order to have space for this 96 Cobra instead. I bought it knowing the alternator was broken, and that the speedometer doesn't work, the gearbox has been switched to a 3650 and the speedcal apparently doesn't want to collaborate. A new alternator is on it's way and I've even went and bought some rims (18x9.75), the 19s that are on at the moment look awful...

Since the alternator is broken I haven't been able to drive it very much yet, but from the little experience I have, I can say it's a totally different animal to the V6...

Originally this car was built as a V6 in 1996, at some point between 1996 and 2000 it was rebuilt with Cobra parts. As far as I can tell everything that was different with the cobra has been put on this car with the exception of the airbag cover (maybe the original cobra was in an accident). The car was then registered in Sweden as a Mustang Cobra in the year 2000. The guy who registered it is, from my research, a well known individual among Mustang enthusiasts here in Sweden. A lot of documentation came with the car, but nothing from the build itself. If anyone has any idea of how to track down the history of the original cobra that would be interesting.

The car currently has straight pipes and race-cats, it's a little bit too loud... I've got some flowmaster mufflers that I'll get installed. It has a short shifter, a CAI, koni suspension, and it came with a SCT tuner. I'd like to put 4:10 gears in it as my first "performance mod" but ordering to Sweden from the US is expensive $$$. But I have some other modifications coming up as well. I'm excited to get everything working again over the winter and to be apart of this community, some of you all have crazy rides!

/Benjamin

IMG_1120.JPGIMG_1180.JPGIMG_1125.JPG

Last edited:

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
That's great, I always like seeing 'export' Mustangs with the amber tails, fender flares, folding mirrors, etc. A good color too. Also have a 96 Cobra convertible. Been in Germany for the last 7 years and slowly building it up to how I always wanted. I have a set of 4.10 gears I could sell/ship to you from Germany. Might cut down the costs to you.

My car is still in my privately reserved bay space while I continue toward the finish line of the build process, but I'm thinking the coming summer I'll really get to drive it around a lot through not just Germany but different parts of Europe also.

Attachments

• 20160521_212322.jpg
    20160521_212322.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220702_110354.jpg
    20220702_110354.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20160605_183357.jpg
    20160605_183357.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
Benne02

Benne02

Reaction score
That's great, I always like seeing 'export' Mustangs with the amber tails, fender flares, folding mirrors, etc. A good color too. Also have a 96 Cobra convertible. Been in Germany for the last 7 years and slowly building it up to how I always wanted. I have a set of 4.10 gears I could sell/ship to you from Germany. Might cut down the costs to you.

My car is still in my privately reserved bay space while I continue toward the finish line of the build process, but I'm thinking the coming summer I'll really get to drive it around a lot through not just Germany but different parts of Europe also.
Woah, that's an impressive build. I'm actually not a fan of the fender flares, I think they ruin the lines of the sn95, but I am scared of taking them off and seeing what damage they may have caused :rolleyes:
I might be interested in your 4:10s, I am running low on cash at the moment though, how much are you thinking?

I don't know what the situation is like in Germany, but hopefully the gas prices here in Sweden have calmed down a bit before the summer. I'd also like to take trips in the mustang, but as it is right now, that would be very expensive.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Woah, that's an impressive build. I'm actually not a fan of the fender flares, I think they ruin the lines of the sn95, but I am scared of taking them off and seeing what damage they may have caused :rolleyes:
I might be interested in your 4:10s, I am running low on cash at the moment though, how much are you thinking?

I don't know what the situation is like in Germany, but hopefully the gas prices here in Sweden have calmed down a bit before the summer. I'd also like to take trips in the mustang, but as it is right now, that would be very expensive.
I'd do $50 plus whatever it takes to ship them out (not sure how much that would be since gears are a bit weighty being solid metal). Or I could just take a gamble and say $125 shipped. What do you think?

OP
OP
Benne02

Benne02

Reaction score
I'd do $50 plus whatever it takes to ship them out (not sure how much that would be since gears are a bit weighty being solid metal). Or I could just take a gamble and say $125 shipped. What do you think?
Sounds like a deal, is there a private messages function in this forum?

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
That's the only pic I have of the gears but I'll get better pics of them as soon as I can.

Attachments

• 20161208_195609.jpg
    20161208_195609.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
Benne02

Benne02

Reaction score
Great looking Cobra! Thouse fender flares require some meaty tires!
Thanks! And yes, the flares do indeed require meaty tires, that’s one of the reasons I’d like to take them off… I did just install my new rims with 265 wide tires on the car, and they are A LOT better than the 235s that were on it before. Still, some spacers wouldn’t hurt. I don’t know what it’s like elsewhere, but any tires above 275 is pretty expensive here.

Attachments

• 9B6DAC7F-68E8-4A0B-B138-0771DE76DCFA.jpeg
    9B6DAC7F-68E8-4A0B-B138-0771DE76DCFA.jpeg
    328.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 9EAA6857-F8D7-4E69-AF6D-6B4DBF03A038.jpeg
    9EAA6857-F8D7-4E69-AF6D-6B4DBF03A038.jpeg
    347.2 KB · Views: 13

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
Looks good wet anyway! I had a '96 Mystic Cobra for a while. If a huge motorhome hadn't taken the side of that car off, I might still have it. That's how I ended up with my '95 R.
It looks like whoever did the Cobra conversion did a nice job. It looks very much like a real Cobra and I love the blue color. Although mine was bone stock, I know those 32V Cobra motors respond well to supercharging.
I'll be in Sweden in the springtime (March or April, not sure exactly) flying into Stockholm. I'll be visiting Hudiksvall and Delsbo (Senseair) for about a week.
I bet you get a lot of looks from people there in Sweden. Enjoy!

OP
OP
Benne02

Benne02

Reaction score
Looks good wet anyway! I had a '96 Mystic Cobra for a while. If a huge motorhome hadn't taken the side of that car off, I might still have it. That's how I ended up with my '95 R.
It looks like whoever did the Cobra conversion did a nice job. It looks very much like a real Cobra and I love the blue color. Although mine was bone stock, I know those 32V Cobra motors respond well to supercharging.
I'll be in Sweden in the springtime (March or April, not sure exactly) flying into Stockholm. I'll be visiting Hudiksvall and Delsbo (Senseair) for about a week.
I bet you get a lot of looks from people there in Sweden. Enjoy!
The Cobra R is really badass, which one do you prefer? I live in the most southern part of Sweden, almost in Denmark, but I’ve been to Stockholm and Hudiksvall myself. Hudiksvall seemed to have fun roads, but I didn’t drive around much.

I do get looks, but that’s partly because it’s really really loud at the moment.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have to imagine it is fun to have a car like that there for the reactions/looks. When we got our 94 gt it was the 2nd one of the new generation in a small midwest town and for the first few months it was like driving a Ferrari around the way people would look and react to it.

Biggy98Cobra

Reaction score
Thanks! And yes, the flares do indeed require meaty tires, that’s one of the reasons I’d like to take them off… I did just install my new rims with 265 wide tires on the car, and they are A LOT better than the 235s that were on it before. Still, some spacers wouldn’t hurt. I don’t know what it’s like elsewhere, but any tires above 275 is pretty expensive here.
They are pretty expensive here too...well it's expensive to be cool anyway haha

I plan to get something like 305 or 315s for the rear too...but need to save some $

I really like this guys's setup on 98 Cobra: https://musclecardna.com/laser-red-1998-ford-mustang-cobra-sn95-with-eibach-lowering-springs.html

He runs
  • Rear tire 315/35r17
  • Front tire 245/45r17
Boy do those look good ;)

OP
OP
Benne02

Benne02

Reaction score
I have to imagine it is fun to have a car like that there for the reactions/looks. When we got our 94 gt it was the 2nd one of the new generation in a small midwest town and for the first few months it was like driving a Ferrari around the way people would look and react to it.
I didn't get a lot of attention in the V6 even though there's only about 1900 registered SN95s (including the new edges) in Sweden. I don't think most people would know that the SN95s are Mustangs if it wasn't for the horse. The first gen and s197/s550 is what most people recognition as Mustangs over here. I do however think that this car will get more attention, it sounds better, and louder, and it says Cobra on it. From the little I've driven, I've gotten more attention than I was used to getting in the V6. When summer comes around it would be fun if people came forward and asked me about it, but swedes aren't famous for being very talkative or social towards strangers heh...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.