Hi, my name is Ryan, her name is Jackie.

Admiral_peck7

Reaction score
I've got a 96 mustang GT I've named Jackie, I've been lurking since I bought the car in '18 on this and other threads to find info, and I've gotten to the point where I can't seem to find any threads that talk about how to do what I want to do, and whether it's worth it, so I made an account to start a thread. If someone could point me to which sub forum talking about wiring harnesses and aftermarket ECUs would be welcome in that'd be great, as a 10 minute search h makes me think it'll be a loose fit in about 4 different threads.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
We aren’t too picky, you could post right here if you wanted to. If want to start a new thread, questions in this sense are typically in the electrical section.

Welcome to the forum, by the way. We hope you enjoy the stay.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
welcome. There are a few of us running aftermarket ecu's that can help. What is the budget and the idea for the build?

OP
OP
A

Admiral_peck7

Reaction score
welcome. There are a few of us running aftermarket ecu's that can help. What is the budget and the idea for the build?
I'm looking at dropping about 20k on my next long block, and I'd be willing to go motec if that's what's necessary but I'm liking the easier to use ECUs since I'm not gonna have my own tuner (nobody does gas tuning out here in WTX, just diesels) I was looking at maybe using a new edge engine harness with the plug and play megasquirt for it and an aftermarket guage cluster, but if it'd be easier to build or source a dedicated harness I'm interested I'd just prefer to buy one off the shelf, it's getting a new edge GT motor for now with a trickflow intake, some hand porting, and a full forged bottom end and big boi cams. The next Motor will be twincharged, this one's getting a nitrous kit and eventually a turbo, and I want to keep the MAF in the car which means no holley from what I'm told. But the real kicker is I'd like a 6r80 in it, and from what I hear quick 6 is garbage, though that may just be user errors, which leaves motec's new kit or trying to piggyback a coyote ECU.

Should probably add it's a west Texas streetcar build, and when I say street car I mean drive it to work monday-friday and run 8s all night Friday and all day Saturday. No trailer needed, so temperamental ECUs are a no-go.

Last edited:

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
If you want to use a 6r80, your best bet is going to be using a factory coyote ecu. Schrader Performance has a very detailed and outlined manual that shows how to run a 2v off that ecu and use a 6r80.

OP
OP
A

Admiral_peck7

Reaction score
If you want to use a 6r80, your best bet is going to be using a factory coyote ecu. Schrader Performance has a very detailed and outlined manual that shows how to run a 2v off that ecu and use a 6r80.
I was told before I'd have to piggyback it to run a 2v, if I can run a 2v off a coyote ECU I'll just go that route, thanks.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I was told before I'd have to piggyback it to run a 2v, if I can run a 2v off a coyote ECU I'll just go that route, thanks.
The coyote and the 2v share the same style crank position sensor so the coyote ecu will be able to interpret the signal fine. You’ll have to make your own wiring harness, or move pins around and make your own connector for the coyote ecu. Check out that schrader performance manual.

OP
OP
A

Admiral_peck7

Reaction score
The coyote and the 2v share the same style crank position sensor so the coyote ecu will be able to interpret the signal fine. You’ll have to make your own wiring harness, or move pins around and make your own connector for the coyote ecu. Check out that schrader performance manual.
Just curious because I've yet to find one outside holley, does anyone else make a plug and play kit for the 2v with 4r70w? Or is it just holley and random guys on the internet? I like to do research on this stuff as a pastime.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Just curious because I've yet to find one outside holley, does anyone else make a plug and play kit for the 2v with 4r70w? Or is it just holley and random guys on the internet? I like to do research on this stuff as a pastime.
I’m not too sure. I’ve only ever used MegaSquirt and Holley. When I had megasquirt, I had to run a micro squirt for the 4r70, but none of my stuff was plug and play.

OP
OP
A

Admiral_peck7

Reaction score
I’m not too sure. I’ve only ever used MegaSquirt and Holley. When I had megasquirt, I had to run a micro squirt for the 4r70, but none of my stuff was plug and play.
What about just the engine harness? Cause I do still like megasquirt, and I'd love a mostly plug and play harness, idk I'm torn because I want to run just one ECU bit I also want some capabilities I don't think the coyote ECU can handle, and plus I've gotta worry about tuning a factory style ecu on software that may or may not let me do everything due to EPA involvement.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
What about just the engine harness? Cause I do still like megasquirt, and I'd love a mostly plug and play harness, idk I'm torn because I want to run just one ECU bit I also want some capabilities I don't think the coyote ECU can handle, and plus I've gotta worry about tuning a factory style ecu on software that may or may not let me do everything due to EPA involvement.
I wired my own engine harness as well, I don’t know if there are any plug and play harnesses for our cars. I think Holley would be the closest thing, but they come with their own harness and you integrate the ecu.

What capabilities are you looking for that the stock coyote ecu can’t do?

95opal

Reaction score
If you dont want to get into making your own harness give Ron Francis wiring a call. They do custom harnesses for just about anything.

OP
OP
A

Admiral_peck7

Reaction score
I wired my own engine harness as well, I don’t know if there are any plug and play harnesses for our cars. I think Holley would be the closest thing, but they come with their own harness and you integrate the ecu.

What capabilities are you looking for that the stock coyote ecu can’t do?
The biggest thing is progressive nitrous, but I'm also wanting scramble and EGTs. Idk maybe I'm underestimating the coyote ECU, I also want to be able to make it ignore the MAF when it pegs because I'm likely gonna make enough power to peg it once I switch to the twincharged 4v setup. But the biggest thing is no needing something like HPTUNERS to mess with the tune. Me and my dad adjust shit all the time at the track because he's excellent at judging what needs to change with the weather (former pro stock crew chief for 2 teams and current racing chassis builder, he knows nothing about electronic engine management, he's all carburetor and distributor)

I'll throw my ecu capability wishlist in here:

‐MUSTS
MAP+MAF both
Dual widebands
6r80 or early 4r70W control (preferably 6R80)
2 stage v8 fuel injection
Nitrous control
Boost control
Datalogging for most data channels
Odometer in dash (may be seperate from ECU)

‐NICEs
ABS
Traction control
CAN capability
Power distribution or comms with PDU (preferably through CAN) (if I use a PDU)
Speed compensated volume? (Crazy wish ik)

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
all of us running holley ecu's have been happy with them. I find the support after the purchase to be very nice

OP
OP
A

Admiral_peck7

Reaction score
all of us running holley ecu's have been happy with them. I find the support after the purchase to be very nihicei
Problem for me is they "Don't make" our early 4r70w harness" and couldn't inform me of this for the year and a half after my order with them, my dad ordered a 2bbl sniper kit and it took 6 months to get it and has had nothing but issues (we even took to a holley dealer and he said we just got a toaster, and now we're waiting 6 more months for a replacement) and I know several people at the local track that have no end of datalogging issues, and I'm sure some of them are user error, but not all of them.

Sorry for the rant but I haven't seen good experiences with holley and while the dominator is good, the reputation they have with me and the price point compared to an MS3x setup with basically all the same capability as far as I care, it's no contest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Staff online

Members online