Hid vs led headlights

07GtS197

Reaction score
Who here is running leds? Ive read good stuff about them but Im afraid theyd be like stock headlights only brighter... I have hids in the stock housings (po was an idiot to say the least) and theyre not bad actually but I cant afford projector retrofits at the moment so Im thinking leds are a good alternative for the time being. What do you guys think?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
No. Don't waste your money.
LED's might seem brighter right in front of the car but they don't reach down the road where you need it.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you look closely at them they say they are almost as bright as hid but cost 2-3x as much.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
So they are a no go? Im probably going to go with a retrofit in the future then I just dont have the money right now. I wouldnt mind the raxiom ones but they look stupid with the led strips and all that crap around the projector, oh and the angel eyes... What do you guys think I should do in the meantime?

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Its not that, they do work better than the stock bulbs. Id like to get better output and spread like projectors so Ill probably just go that route later on.

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
f99cbf55083bd51755ab4a57a4680b3b.jpg
retro fit halos in my towncar. 6000k

sent while thinking of mods for my 4.6s using tapatalk

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
How much did that retrofit cost you? Theres a sticky I found on google and if I follow what he did itd run me like 300-500 bucks (I dont remember exactly). I have hids on the car already and have a set of oem headlights sitting in my garage I could tear open, Id just have to buy the projectors and other miscellaneous crap that needs to be purchased when doing it.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
try the depo projectors. pretty cheap. I just ordered some and going with HID's because the LED's usually have like a fan on them and that takes up space.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
I didnt know depo has projectors for the new edges. Im looking at a pair on ebay, go ahead and flog me, that are projectors but look good unlike other brands like raxion and even if they dont work well, Ill get a set of projectors to replace those while Im running the stockers again.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
parts for a retrofit will probably run you $200 the 3-500 is normally what someone charges to do the job.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Still Im a little intimidated by the amount of work that needs to be done. Plus Id need to get new housings since my stockers are restored but still a bit hazy so that pushed the price up more. And this time of year=broke lol, no money for my car other than essentials I bought a month ago, my poly steering rack bushings and poly end links.

azurebluemach

Reaction score
No. Don't waste your money.
LED's might seem brighter right in front of the car but they don't reach down the road where you need it.

HID's don't really either IMO. Unless you have projectors or some other housing that focuses the light better than stock housings.

IG: @rcodemach1

azurebluemach

Reaction score
82132a0d33853b1ca94b0be7cb82de89.jpg

Mine are a 9007 LED's kit off of Amazon. They were $99 and the brand name is NewBrights. They look great lol. The light doesn't go down the road quite as far as halogen, but it lights up signs and other objects better than halogens IMO. I have never had anyone flick the brights at me, so seems like they aren't blinding peeps. SuperBrightLEDs now sells a set that looks just like them for $99. I'd probably buy theirs since they are a reputable LED place. My LED fog light bulbs are from them, but they are really just for looks lol. Pretty much anything bright you put in those foglight housings is just going to throw light everywhere. They are 880 CAN bus bulbs and were $35 or so shipped. They were the brighter selection.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
somethiing to keep in mind is that most LED that size have fans that may or may not fit the headlight housing. I know superbrightled's have fans.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I didnt know depo has projectors for the new edges. Im looking at a pair on ebay, go ahead and flog me, that are projectors but look good unlike other brands like raxion and even if they dont work well, Ill get a set of projectors to replace those while Im running the stockers again.

I totally overlooked that you have a new edge. sorry.

azurebluemach

Reaction score
somethiing to keep in mind is that most LED that size have fans that may or may not fit the headlight housing. I know superbrightled's have fans.

Yup, you're right. The ones I have are just like the ones SuperBrightLEDs sells now. My fans didn't sound like the likes cold weather either LOL. I've seen other bulbs that have a braided wire mesh for dissipating heat, but none of those had the same lumen brightness that the ones with fans had.

I've never owned HID's. Do they have fans or other methods to remove heat?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online