High Voltage at high RPMs

Ballistic

Reaction score
Heres a video of what its doing:

[video=youtube;x3vEA9RDPbc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3vEA9RDPbc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

The beeping is my radar detector saying High Voltage.. When i looked at my SCT Tunner it was showing 15volts or more, and sometimes my amps would turn off (voltage protection)

Dropped it off my alternator at my the place i had rebuild it and bump it up to almost 200amps, they put it on their testing machine and it was showing fine, but i left it there for them to check inside just to be sure..

Is there anything else it could be? He was asking if the wire from the alternator was going directly to the battery or a relay box.

I did forget to check it with a volt meter at the battery but when i was pulling the alternator i noticed some spray from my battery like a little mist of what i thought was battery acid.

lutter94

Reaction score
The internal voltage regulator on the alternator is bad. My 92 F150 did the same thing. The alternator shop should be able to see that.

OP
OP
Ballistic

Ballistic

Reaction score
The internal voltage regulator on the alternator is bad. My 92 F150 did the same thing. The alternator shop should be able to see that.

Is that inside the alternator? I know there is one on the back of it. I left it there for him to take it apart because he said there are things inside that can make it go bad..

lutter94

Reaction score
Looks like this is the regulator on your car

http://www.americanmuscle.com/paper...-3g-volt-regulator-GSBasicFitmentV1&year=1997

1V1116__ra_p.jpg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would start at the regulator but if you have a HO alt you might want to try and find one that is made for that use. I got a cheap HO alt years ago off of ebay and it worked well for a little more then a year before it died. This time I took it to a local alternator shop and they said the coils/internals had been upgraded but the voltage regulator never had and was doomed to fail. Its the weak link in the chain if it isn't upgraded. I was surprised after I moved back to the Midwest where I have issues finding stuff that a quick search found another local alternator shop that could help me.

OP
OP
Ballistic

Ballistic

Reaction score
I guess i should of asked, i just kind of figured when they upgrade it they would put in a better regulator to keep up with the High Output.. Also when i was taking off the Positive cable it looked like 8gauge is that right? When the dude at the alternator shop asked what size i said it looked like 8gauge and he said that's pretty small.. Almost feel like with the bigger alternator i should at least be using 4 gauge or 1/0, and then upgrade the ground wire to the same gauge.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have no idea what your power requirements on the alt are as far as big stereo or what. If your not running a big stereo then the stock size is 8 awg and probably plenty. IF your running a stereo well then look at the size of the power wire you ran for your amps, and consider that you need to add that to the stock wire. This is one of the times where bigger is better as long as you have everything fused correctly. I am running 0 off of my alt but my stereo will be a bit bigger then most, not to mention the compressor for the air ride.

OP
OP
Ballistic

Ballistic

Reaction score
I have no idea what your power requirements on the alt are as far as big stereo or what. If your not running a big stereo then the stock size is 8 awg and probably plenty. IF your running a stereo well then look at the size of the power wire you ran for your amps, and consider that you need to add that to the stock wire. This is one of the times where bigger is better as long as you have everything fused correctly. I am running 0 off of my alt but my stereo will be a bit bigger then most, not to mention the compressor for the air ride.

Just got the call that its ready for pick up, kinda already forgot what he said was wrong lol but i think it was the rotor inside it, he was like are you street racing it or anything lol and the highest i have gone with rpms must be the 4.10 gears not helping it and he said if it keeps happening we may have to slow the alternator down.

For the alternator positive wire, I have a 1000watt and 500watt amp, i ran 4gauge from the engine bay to the back then 8gauge from a block to each amp, i have been tossing around the idea to add a 2nd battery in the trunk, every once in a while when the bass hits while driving it will kill my speaker amp (500watt one) and only hear the bass, but when i try and make it do it in the garage seems to never do it..

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
look at the amps and see what the fuse ratings are on them as a 500 watt amp can be a big range. But if your running 4 awg to your amp then in reality your using less then 8 awg would use since that is all the alt can possibly supply. Now also remember if you upgrade that 4 awg wire you will need to upgrade your stock grounds or they will now be the choke point for the current.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online