hmmmmm. Do i want a long one or a short one???? headers of course

rcjustin

Reaction score
Planning on doing a full exhaust on my 94 gt vert with o/r h or x pipe. I need help on choosing whether to go long tube or to go shorty headers? Help with choosing a good sonding and good performing catback would be great too. Basically, what would be a really good total setup. Links appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Spyder

Reaction score
Heres my exhaust:

JBA jet hot coated shorties
Bassani SS o/r X-pipe
Bassane SS catback (not the bx, the nice stuff)

I think my car sounds awesome, not insanely loud, but it does not go unnoticed either. Might be doing some filming tomorrow or wednesday night, ill try to get something up for ya.

I would base your header choice off of your future plans. If you going blower or nitrous then get longtubes. They sound awesome and have a little better gains. If you go turbo, get the shorties. I only say that cause why spend a ton on headers, especially long tubes if your gonna replace it with the turbo kit.

Just my $.02

95CALI-5.0

Reaction score
Iv'e heard the long tubes are the way to go. How ever if your car is lowered you may have some clearance issues when using your mustang as a DD.

I went with

FMS shorty headers
Bassani X with High flow cats
magnaflow mufflers.

Sound:

It has a nice deep tone at idle (not the hollow sounding tone)
While cruising there is minimal resonance in the cab, but is pretty loud outside.
At WOT the exhaust sounds wicked. Like an Indy car but with a deep solid tone.

I went with this combo because I didn't want the kackling hollow sound some exahust combos put out.

jimgt95

Reaction score
I went with:

FMS shorties 1 5/8"(unequal length) - Dyno tests show very little in terms of power or torque loss over equal lengths without the nightmare installation. Long tubes are also not easy to install and require a special H or X pipe. As mentioned, they are also not good on a car that is lowered. They are the king of power when it comes to a blown or heavily modified engine though.

Bassani X-pipe w/cats, stainless steel - Top notch fitment, stainless lasts forever, I stay emissions compliant, the x-pipe has been dyno proven to see a little more power vs. an H with a supercharger, and the x has a unique sound.

Bassani Cat Back, stainless steel - Top notch fitment, stainless lasts forever, unique sound, no interior drone at highway speeds. The Bassani cat back produces a nice deep, bass like rumble at idle, cruising around there is no interior resonance, when you crack it open it sounds very exotic and it does turn heads. I had a Dronemaster er...Flowmaster American Thunder catback and it was fine for a few years. I got really tired of the interior drone while cruising at a steady speed. It also seemed to clunck against my fram rails when I hit bumps no matter how much adjustment I did. No offense to anyone running a Flowmaster system, it just wasn't for me.

As mentioned, the question you have to answer is "what are your future plans?" That will determine what system you ultimately go for. That way you're not buying exhaust components more than once. Hope this helps.

ryclef331

Reaction score
Long tubes....they're not that much harder to put in that shorties and they're better in the long run when you start throwing more mods at the car.

joefelly3888

Reaction score
BBK shortys
Earl's gaskets
BBK off road h pipe
Magnaflow cat back

Make sure you get a good set of header gaskets. I made the mistake with going with the BBK gaskets they sent and they were total shit. After that i had Fel-pro ones and they went as well. Earl's gaskets are worth the money and I have no problems since. As far as the exhaust.. Magnaflow is where its at. Makes the car sound beautiful just cruising and when ur not it, it sounds like a thing of beauty. I was never a fan of flowmaster just cause everyone had it. Ive also heard slp on a 5.0 and it sounds good. Bassani is good as well but kinda pricey.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Long tubes: better performance and sound than shorties,
more expensive, ground clearance issues if your car's lowered.

I personally like the bassain mid lengths best.
dont have to pull much stuff to install, no ground clearance problems and you
still have the benefit of a collector, which shorty's dont give you.

For sound, flowmasters sound deep, can drone and are mid quality.
Bassani - excellent quality, little higher sound, not a bad thing.
Magnaflow - sounds good too, good quality

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online