Hole in chassis from exhaust rubbing

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Anyone else ever have this issue? The piece that goes over the axle has been rubbing on the chassis to the point where there is now a 1" hole in the chassis/frame. I have a magnapack catback and never got the passenger side to fit right. To make things worse, while I was away my bro in law put welds on the bolt on pieces.

The drivers side is perfect, and I tried to replicate the same direction on the pass side but it will not fit the same. Turn one piece and it hits the gas tank, turn the other and it hits the frame, turn that piece that goes over the axle and that piece is now resting on the axle. Took it out for a quick spin and the catback rubbed an impression into the axle tube.

I've been working on this damn thing all day and it will not fit.

So I got it to not hit the frame and tightened all back up. Drive it. Come back home, lift it up, and the damn piece is back to hitting the frame. No idea how it moved.

Really getting tired of mustangs.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Sometimes cutting and welding is required ... I've never heard of the frame but I've heard of the axle tube getting grooves or holes from rubbing

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Sometimes cutting and welding is required ... I've never heard of the frame but I've heard of the axle tube getting grooves or holes from rubbing
Okay so its not just me. My friends tried messing with it when I first got it as well and had no luck. It rubbed a hole in the frame man, I'll post a pic as soon as I can guess my password right on the new phone. Okay so the axle thing is not unheard of, that takes away some stress.
My right side is tweaked a little too not rubbing though.
A little crooked? Like the tip you mean?

So I don't get this, put the new hanger bushings on, turned the middle piece that goes over the axle inwards so it doesn't hit the frame and tightened it up; then drove it around. Looked up under there and the exhaust moved over again to the frame! How the hell is it moving when its bolted down?! Really need some beer. Gonna leave it alone and go drink a few with some buddies.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Yeah like one of my tail pipes if cocked inward..... I can force it into place but it just goes back..... its SLP so its not some lower quality fit and finish.....

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
I haven't climbed under to find out why. I. Think maybe I need to clock it where it mounts to the h pipe. If the hump is turned out I can see why the tip would turn in... .. probably a separate issue from yours though.... I never check for body contact but when I gutted the car for fun I didn't see any holes

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea I had to cut and modify my cat back extensively to fit properly god damn blowmaster

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Yeah like one of my tail pipes if cocked inward..... I can force it into place but it just goes back..... its SLP so its not some lower quality fit and finish.....
Force it in place without unbolting or anything? Couldn't it be a hanger bushing that is not actually doing its job? Like too loose so it has a lot of wiggle room?
I haven't climbed under to find out why. I. Think maybe I need to clock it where it mounts to the h pipe. If the hump is turned out I can see why the tip would turn in... .. probably a separate issue from yours though.... I never check for body contact but when I gutted the car for fun I didn't see any holes
Actually, I noticed that when I put the outside bushing (the one on the muffler) on it pulled the exhaust closer to the frame. So, with that said; the muffler looks like it needs to be turned inwards so that the hanger brackets are parallel. That way it is not pulling the exhaust to the frame. It is doing so bc the bushing is stretched in that location bc the muffler needs to be adjusted. Gonna go try that now! Oh you'd hear the body contact forsure, I know I do. Even with loud exhaust I can hear it.
Yea I had to cut and modify my cat back extensively to fit properly god damn blowmaster
Damn, well that sucks. Bolt on my ass.

So I guess my picture didn't upload.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Yeah just yanking on it. The hangers are rubber so I don't expect an exact tolerance that's why I though of clocking it differently when I get under it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online