home made turbo system

Thomas_W

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
Thomas_W said:
voidfinger said:
Thomas, who did the piping? also, was that with a factory k member? What kinda power was it making?

I did all the piping myself. It was built around a QA1 K member but worked on a stock K member w/ very little fab work. With a GT-45 turbo the kit made 479rwhp @ 10psi i think

so thats not the power master t70 in the parts list above? ok so where did you get the tubing? and what kinda fab work...like cuting the k member? just wondering. thanks

YOu mean on the first setup or the current one.?

The current one is like this:
Custom Kooks turbo headers,
Custom Hot section i made w/ tial knockoff 44mm wastegate
Master Power T-70 turbo
3" downpipe
3" cold section piping
33x12x3" intercooler w/ 3" inlet and outlets.

I dont know how much power this setup is making yet, but i approximate 450ish rwhp. I'm gettin the car tuned on the 5th of may so i'll have definitive answers then.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
yea i was interested in the first set up , since that was the cheapest one. :) , i was just looking at ebay and they have t3/t4 turbos that they call stage 3 and it is 57mm's....i'm wondering about a dual setup. They are super cheap too, but tell me what yall think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=230113092301&rd=1&rd=1

thats not 57mm.. thats 57 trim. their's a difference. you need atleast a 2- 60 Trim T3 turbo's for them to be effective on a 4.6 I was originally going to do a twin turbo kit on my car, but after searching on ebay for months, i never ONCE found a 60 trim T3 or T3/T4 hybrid. And when i got to pricing 60trim T3/T4 hybrids from masterpower, garret, turbonetics, precision, etc. they were going to be $1200 a piece.

Don't waste your money on the ebay turbo's.. they are cheap chinese knockoffs that normally dont last. A Brand new masterPower T-70 is $550. sometimes $525 if you get in on a group buy.

voidfinger

Reaction score
so just run one ? and where can i get those at? website???? just wondering.

Someone tole me that 2 55mm's would do wonders on our cars is that right? and whats the difference between mm and trim? just wondering and sorry for all the questions. :)

Thomas_W

Reaction score
I've heard nothing but bad from ebay turbo's so steer clear of them.. b/c they'll end up costing you more eventually than if you just spend an extra $200-300 for a good one later on.

www.miketurboinc.com for masterpower turbo's.

Trim is
"The size of the compressor turbine / wheel determines the maximum amount of boost that the turbo charger can produce. It also effects the spool-up time of the turbo. The type of compressor wheel is usually designated as its "trim", which is a value that describes the inducer and exducer sizes. Typically, the exducer is significantly larger than the inducer on a compressor turbine"

a 57trim just doesn't provide enough air to make significant amounts of power on a 4.6 w/ 2 of them. 60 trim's start flowing considerably more air. mm = the Inlet size of the compressor wheel (inducer). Two 55 or 57mm twin turbo's do wonders on the 4.6's. i believe somewhere around 480rwhp on 10psi of boost.

voidfinger

Reaction score
cool, i'm actually thinking of swaping to a 5.4 2v and i might just go with a sigle 70 and make upgrades in the future.

OP
OP
B

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
is it hard to rebuild a turbo? i know there is a write up about rebuilding one in MM&FF, by following that could one do it themselves? i would like to buy one and rebuild it then when im all set with getting N/a power i would like to install a turbo

Thomas_W

Reaction score
I've rebuilt a turbo before. Its not hard at all, as long as its just replacing bearings and seals. when you get into having to replace turbine and compressor wheels you have to send them off to get balanced.

97blackgt

Reaction score
i knoew all my friends with civics that are turboed head straight for ebay when they buy the turbo kits. The brand is called XS power i think, and out of the three kids that bought these kits...all three turbos the seals leaked and the exhaust filled up with oil....

they still seem to put out a lot of power though...i think they run 50mm turbos?

voidfinger

Reaction score
so maybe they should have put good sealing in them? just buy the cheap ones and put good seals and bearings in :) :rice:

Thomas_W

Reaction score
97blackgt said:
i knoew all my friends with civics that are turboed head straight for ebay when they buy the turbo kits. The brand is called XS power i think, and out of the three kids that bought these kits...all three turbos the seals leaked and the exhaust filled up with oil....

they still seem to put out a lot of power though...i think they run 50mm turbos?

its not a 50mm turbo.. its a 50 TRIM turbo.. XSpower turbos = cheap chinese crap. Everytime i've heard of ANY turbo from XSpower or SSAutochrome (same company) or any turbo from ebay period that isn't a name brand turbo. they ALL leak oil and some even have turbine blades extinguise themselves.

The turbo itself is NOT where you can cheap out. There are plenty of turbo's for decent prices (Master Power for one) out there. you just have to find them.

And you want to run a restrictor on the oil inlet of most if not every turbo. if you have high oil pressure and dont run a restrictor you'll pressurize the turbo cartridge and force oil into the downpipe damaging the turbo.

Its not the bearings and seals that are the only thing you have to worry about. most of those turbo's have poorly cast and balanced turbine impellers and compressor wheels. This means they will or have a high probability of failing at the high Rpm's turbo's operate at. If the compressor impellor fails you WILL lose your motor. They also have issues w/ housings cracking.

now.. do you want to cheap out on buying a $300 turbo that has that many problems and then have to pay for new housings, and wheels.. OR would you rather just spent $550 on a turbo that MANY people have had excellent service with first hand!

voidfinger

Reaction score

O on that web site you sent me , they had them on special for 525, and if your a member of turbofords then you get an extra drop in price. :)

Thomas_W

Reaction score
voidfinger said:

O on that web site you sent me , they had them on special for 525, and if your a member of turbofords then you get an extra drop in price. :)

yup.. so you'll probly get it for $500ish

voidfinger

Reaction score
very nice, so what size in the piping gotta be on that thing? i saw some specs but i'm so turbo stupid lol. :)

Thomas_W

Reaction score
i'd do. 2 1/2" from the headers to the Y pipe, then 3" to the turbo. Then 3" downpipe into a single/dual 3" or a dual 2.5" exhaust. then i'd used 3" for all of the cold section piping

voidfinger

Reaction score
so the exaust from the headers go into a y pipe and then into the turbo? so then the down pipe is three inches and then it hooks to the mid pipe? also use 3 inch from the intake to the turbo to the intake manifold? right?

Thomas_W

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
so the exaust from the headers go into a y pipe and then into the turbo? so then the down pipe is three inches and then it hooks to the mid pipe? also use 3 inch from the intake to the turbo to the intake manifold? right?

basically.. headers to 2 1/2" pipe, these merge into 3" which then goes to the inlet of the turbine. then the turbine housing outlet goes into a 3" downpipe which goes back for exhaust.. or you can split it w/ a Y pipe into dual 2 1/2" exhaust.

The cold side comes off the compressor outlet (typically 2 1/2") into a 3" pipe. then into the intercooler then from the intercooler to the MAF (if doing a blow thru) then from the maf to the Throttle body.

If using a draw thru, you have a 4" inlet pipe running from the turbo compressor inlet to the MAF then a air filter on the other side of the maf.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Staff online

Members online