home made turbo system

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
i was thinking that custom fabing a turbo system piece by piece, has anyone on here done it before? I saw a guy on streetfire that did it to his fox, and my buddy was telling me that one of his buddies fabbed one from a tractor turbo and he spent like $500 for everything. Any advice on doing this?

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
I actually ran across some website explaining how to do this. I actually considered it. You can get all the parts you need (piece by piece) from ebay.

OP
OP
B

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
it was also in the newest MMFF mag, and i think it would be a pretty cool experience to do it myself. Ive searched the internet and there are sites for rebuilding turbos, custom fabing pipes and like everything.

94twinscrew

Reaction score
It's one of the cheapest ways to do it,but you have to be careful on the type of turbo that you use.,......a tractor turbo would be one of your worst choices out there......nothing but lag,lag,lag

Now two GN turbo's,or two smaller 55's.............with a piggy back spool,the sky's the limit :thumb:

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
This definitely can be done and has been done but anybody that wants to turbo their car usually has the money to just go out and buy a kit and have it installed and tuned. I wish you good luck buddy and if I can find that site then I'll post it here for ya. Any other info I come across I'll post as well.

voidfinger

Reaction score
i'm adding to this thread b/c i'm thinking of doing the same thing there bud. I'm wondering if you can do the 4.6 headers the same way you do the 5.0 and just turn them around and you got a turbo manifold? i don't know. But i'm looking on ebay too, piping for 100 bucks, intercooler for 200, lol shits cheap. :) wondering if i can get it to work with that 5.4 2v project i'm working on >:D

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Ask me what you wanna know. i've done 3 kits. 1 twin turbo Carburated 5.0 Fox coupe. 2- 1996 GT's...

My current setup i build from scratch. Hoping to make 675-800rwhp.

Current price list for the kits.

#1- $1500
#2- $1000
#3- $2500

those include fuel systems too

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
Thomas_W said:
#1- $1500
#2- $1000
#3- $2500

those include fuel systems too

where do you get all these deals on stuff...i need you to find me some cheap 42 pounders. ^-^

Thomas_W

Reaction score
DFG...

brand new Master Power T-70 turbo = $550..
32x3x12 intercooler = $150
50mm BOV, 44mm Wastegate = $220
mandrel bends + flanges = $300
Couplers & T-bolts = $250
Headers = $250
60# injectors = $330
Fuel Rails, Regulator = $220
Misc parts. = $230

Thats all brand new stuff too

And whoever made the comment about someone who wants to turbo their car usually has the money to pay for a kit and tune.. thats a bunch of crap.. Why would i pay $5k-6k for a turbo kit when i can build it for less than 1/4 of that..

G

GREG@SN95

anyone have a link to a write up or anything along them lines?

Thomas_W

Reaction score
hahaa... yall should of asked me this a couple months back when i began to build the kit.

The only problem with write-ups on DIY kits is.. you will never get the EXACT same results from car to car... You have to just look at other peoples projects and make sacrifices for this and that. My first single turbo kit had a 60-1 in the passenger side fender, with all of the piping running under the K member. and was sneaky. This kit has a set of custom Kooks headers and everything runs above the K member except for the downpipe (which will get changed pretty soon)...

Plus what i might do w/ tubular front suspension and coilovers, another wont be able to do w/ factory front suspension..

voidfinger

Reaction score
Thomas, who did the piping? also, was that with a factory k member? What kinda power was it making?

Thomas_W

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
Thomas, who did the piping? also, was that with a factory k member? What kinda power was it making?

I did all the piping myself. It was built around a QA1 K member but worked on a stock K member w/ very little fab work. With a GT-45 turbo the kit made 479rwhp @ 10psi i think

voidfinger

Reaction score
Thomas_W said:
voidfinger said:

I did all the piping myself. It was built around a QA1 K member but worked on a stock K member w/ very little fab work. With a GT-45 turbo the kit made 479rwhp @ 10psi i think

so thats not the power master t70 in the parts list above? ok so where did you get the tubing? and what kinda fab work...like cuting the k member? just wondering. thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online