Hood pins and stock hoods discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Yes. Are there fake ones out there?

I didnt know there was a such thing as fake pins either until I saw them for well over $50 on American muscle... My initial thought was why not get real ones? I think mine were $15 from summitracing

Royal96

Reaction score
OP
OP
Nuttinbutcrumbs

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
***SN95 Ultimate Front Bumper/Valance/Chin Spoiler Guide***

What kills me about those fake pins is that the real ones cost less... so why does anyone go with the fake ones?

Because they have stock hoods and don't need pins but just want the "bling". Kinda like the guys with DD's that have chin "splitters" or the guys that add (mainly ricer auto X guys) huge ass wings. Silly ricer.. Don't ya know the huge azz rear spoilers only come into play around 130 mph which is more than likely faster than the '00 Hyundai can go?
Or how about all the dudes putting the faux vents on the side of their buick's? Corn...
Are y'all drilling into your stock hoods just so y'all can have pins?? If so why? Are y'all going to fast that the stock hood latch can't hold it?

Don't Sext and Drive.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
its been well documented that aftermarket hoods that have been built often just to be light or cheap have more of a tendency to either not latch correctly or just fail and you end up replacing the hood/cowl/hinges/windshield, and need body work and paint on the front of the roof. More often then not the car was not being raced at the time and it was either just a cheap hood or improperly latched so suddenly the idea of hood pins costs significantly less then the cost of everything to be fixed. I have seen countless hoods that were wrapped around the roof and it wasn't because they were going 200 mph. I did hood pins on mine just because its a carbon fiber hood and I would really really like to keep it where it is supposed to be. But not liking the traditional pin style I went with a flush aerocatch style that does the same job but doesn't stick up at all.

thb_5811731443331789-b2815e772c.jpg

Maybe I am just reading what you type wrong but more and more it just seems you think you are so much more knowledgeable then everyone here on almost any subj and try to show it but making comments like this just show your not. Why use hood pins?! Stick around for a few and I am willing to bet we have some people here that can give you first hand info on it.

OP
OP
Nuttinbutcrumbs

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score

its been well documented that aftermarket hoods that have been built often just to be light or cheap have more of a tendency to either not latch correctly or just fail and you end up replacing the hood/cowl/hinges/windshield, and need body work and paint on the front of the roof. More often then not the car was not being raced at the time and it was either just a cheap hood or improperly latched so suddenly the idea of hood pins costs significantly less then the cost of everything to be fixed. I have seen countless hoods that were wrapped around the roof and it wasn't because they were going 200 mph. I did hood pins on mine just because its a carbon fiber hood and I would really really like to keep it where it is supposed to be. But not liking the traditional pin style I went with a flush aerocatch style that does the same job but doesn't stick up at all.

Maybe I am just reading what you type wrong but more and more it just seems you think you are so much more knowledgeable then everyone here on almost any subj and try to show it but making comments like this just show your not. Why use hood pins?! Stick around for a few and I am willing to bet we have some people here that can give you first hand info on it.

I'm not saying that I'm smarter than most nor do I think it but I've been around long enough to know what works and what doesn't, i.e. cai's, larger tb's and MAF's on an otherwise stock car.
Now back to hood pins. I get using hood pins with aftermarket hoods. However, haven't you ever seen a guy w a stock hood that's "rockin" the pins? Like two minutes ago when as I was walking into the dr's office I saw like a '12-13 GT in the lot w hood pins on a stock hood. Not sure if they were real or not but they were on there. So yeah, I was teasing the guys with pins on a stock hood whether the pins are functional or faux.

Don't Sext and Drive.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
I'm not saying that I'm smarter than most nor do I think it but I've been around long enough to know what works and what doesn't, i.e. cai's, larger tb's and MAF's on an otherwise stock car.
Now back to hood pins. I get using hood pins with aftermarket hoods. However, haven't you ever seen a guy w a stock hood that's "rockin" the pins? Like two minutes ago when as I was walking into the dr's office I saw like a '12-13 GT in the lot w hood pins on a stock hood. Not sure if they were real or not but they were on there. So yeah, I was teasing the guys with pins on a stock hood whether the pins are functional or faux.

Don't Sext and Drive.

Given the age of these cars and the tendancy of the hood latch to fail, hood pins aren't such a bad idea.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
not sure where flexing your knowledge of intake/tb/maf comes into in our conversation here but ok if your happy. Pins are one of those things like a driveshaft safety loop that you install and never hope to need, but is still a good idea. Also take into consideration that there was a recall on the 94/95 stock hoods to prevent separation from the top/bottom of the hood where they removed the fire blanket, cut two large holes and checked for separation and added epoxy if needed. I know of one local mustang personally that it has happened to and I can understand if they are on a stock hood beyond the idea they just like the look.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Let's not forget that some who race at the track often may still have stock hoods but want the convenience of the quick release with using pins and no factory latch.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

OP
OP
Nuttinbutcrumbs

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score

I still bet like 70% of the guys w stock hoods that have pins have them mainly because they "look cool". Think about it, they're so "cool" that there's a market for fake ones.

Don't Sext and Drive.

Royal96

Reaction score
Because they have stock hoods and don't need pins but just want the "bling". Kinda like the guys with DD's that have chin "splitters" or the guys that add (mainly ricer auto X guys) huge ass wings. Silly ricer.. Don't ya know the huge azz rear spoilers only come into play around 130 mph which is more than likely faster than the '00 Hyundai can go?
Or how about all the dudes putting the faux vents on the side of their buick's? Corn...
Are y'all drilling into your stock hoods just so y'all can have pins?? If so why? Are y'all going to fast that the stock hood latch can't hold it?

Don't Sext and Drive.

Ive seen enough stock hoods come unlatched on the highway that I'd say hoodpins aren't ever unwarranted...

Wichers123

Reaction score
4ec98f10cbb06466bf575b31185f04cc.jpg

Don't Sext and Drive.
Your statement about aero is retarded. I'd like you to drive down the road with your hand out of the window and feel the forces with your hand at a downward angle. Now multiply that force times 100 for sq ft area of a wing. THATS why autox guys use such huge aero because they don't use a lot of speed (under 100mph). Btw to each their own, not everyone can go full mod or don't want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online