Hood pins and stock hoods discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Can we get some honesty in the room? Do hood pins look cool, yes or no? Yeah they kinda do on some cars.
With an aftermarket hood I wouldn't go any other way, who would? But if a guy has car with straight body and a latch that's in good working order, hood pins aren't a necessity. However, they'll give you a little extra "security" as well as a little "bling". The extra "security" being like 20% and the "bling" at 80%.
If ya need em, ya need em. If ya dig em, ya dig em.

Don't Sext and Drive.

Do you think that we are not telling the truth so far?

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
fHkongx.jpg

OP
OP
Nuttinbutcrumbs

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
Do you think that we are not telling the truth so far?

No, but I think y'all are elaborating the truth. There were a metric butt-ton of 94-04 mustangs sold w the v6 being in the majority, and they have the same friggin latch as the GT. Yeah there are documented cases of stock hoods flying up, but just think how many 10's of thousands of undocumented stock hoods not flying up are there?

Don't Sext and Drive.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
hopefully from 15 ft you will have to look to see mine. As I said before I don't like the traditional pin style but the aerocatch flush fixed that.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Mr. Crumbs, are you normally this adept at beating a dead horse to prove your point or what? We get it, there's a vast quantity of people who don't experience hood latch issues regardless of the fact Ford issued a TSB about that particular part. Just because I haven't shot myself doesn't mean I'm going to remove the safety from my rifle. We get it, you don't think it's necessary to have hood pins because your 300k mile Mustang doesn't need them.

Did I leave anything out?

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Hm, I didn't realize that they got going that fast.
My only autoX experience was in the early '00's when I was in the navy. The place I worked would sometimes host autoX events on "the ramp" which is just a big slab of concrete that the LCAC's would enter and exit the water and would park on when not in use. I guess it was just a small "track," the faster cars probably didn't get above 50. http://www.tidewatersportscarclub.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=40&Itemid=78
0e27bd36ce9f6f405a1c6ad103fd8873.jpg
d7494bc65e97f1aa4bac0b92bbecc2ec.jpg
c612488225910cc1da3b50f9c3822769.jpg
2a6908de2113e8338ae00616af0dac9c.jpg

This was like in '02 I think and there were quite a few hyundai's rocking big wings.

Don't Sext and Drive.

I did an exotic event at the end of last month on a 1.5 mile road course. Similar to Auto x. It had a tiny straight away @approx mid track.
3 cars total.

I noted what each hit at the end of the small straight
Car and approx speed at end of straight-away preparing for sharp left turn.

800hp Stingray 105mph @5.5rpms/7 3rd gear not downshifting. (assuming 120ish with down shift)

600 hp Gallardo 95mph W/O Sport mode on

500 hp F430 Scuderia 80 mph paddle shifting

IMG_20150926_164401286_zps0ebfh3no.jpg

a6c2502b-2fbc-4b6f-ba28-e51297b4154e_zpsm9x9avge.jpg

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
I like hood pins but I couldn't cut my 500$ hood so I used the underside and put one thru the grill. The hood fitment is perfect I just like to know it's safe!
image.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nice trick!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Nice trick!

I was going to do this same thing prior to the aerocatch but after some thought I decided not too. As much as I know it helps I can't help but think that the pins are not nearly as secure mounted through a single layer of fiberglass rather then core support/metal and going all the way through the hoods. I would definitely keep the stock latch if you did this.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Straight frame?

Don't Sext and Drive.

About as straight as the spine of a kid with scoliosis.... No actually it's perfect from what I've seen. No alignment issues or k member issues. The sub she'll/frame isn't crinkled or looked like it was bent in any sort

EVILSN

Reaction score
No of coarse the grill pin isn't as strong as metal rods sticking thru the hood but like I said, the hood fits perfect with no latch issues. All that pin is for is a little added security. I wanted to do something different.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I was going to do this same thing prior to the aerocatch but after some thought I decided not too. As much as I know it helps I can't help but think that the pins are not nearly as secure mounted through a single layer of fiberglass rather then core support/metal and going all the way through the hoods. I would definitely keep the stock latch if you did this.

I know Soddy did this way back in the day, but he had both pins, but that was the general consensus, definitely much stronger to go through the entire hood. Another reason the aero catch is so great, paint them and they blend in for the most part.

OP
OP
Nuttinbutcrumbs

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
Mr. Crumbs, are you normally this adept at beating a dead horse to prove your point or what? We get it, there's a vast quantity of people who don't experience hood latch issues regardless of the fact Ford issued a TSB about that particular part. Just because I haven't shot myself doesn't mean I'm going to remove the safety from my rifle. We get it, you don't think it's necessary to have hood pins because your 300k mile Mustang doesn't need them.

Did I leave anything out?

Thank goodness.. Y'all finally get it [emoji12]

Don't Sext and Drive.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
not even sure what to say there. We all got it from the beginning and for some reason it seemed we needed to explain it to you. I mean if I am not mistaken at the beginning you didn't think ANY hoodpins were needed on any hood unless we were going 150 mph+. Then I noticed that you agreed its good for aftermarket hoods but just refused to admit that they were ever needed for stock hoods. Its funny I was just out back of my house today and the hood that was in the accident and was torn off was back there. I never noticed before that with it broken up you can see where they added adhesive to the front of the hood after cutting two holes in the bottom of it, under the fire blanket. If you lift up the hood of your 94/95 and remove the fire blanket and do NOT see two holes that are obviously cut by hand and adhesive added then your car did not get the recall work done on it and there is a very good chance it could separate. I would imaging there are tens of thousands of mustangs that would fit this group and for these cars a $100 pin could save thousands in repairs.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
OP... Call me crazy, but I really don't think hood pins look bad on a lot of cars. The old mustangs look kind of aggressive with them

I know people hate on modern day bullitt wheels, hood pins and other old concepts; but that look appeals to me. We mod our cars the way we like them. I don't care if it has hood pins with black wheels that they refer to as "rims"... Everyone should do to their car as they see fit. Sure, I don't like a lot of vehicles I see, but who cares?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online