Hood Pins

RickSample1

Reaction score
Purchased a set of UPR hood pins for $70... seem to almost be identical looking to the Scott Drake or Shelby ones which sell for $125. Planning to install this weekend. Will this at all crack a fiberglass hood or will I have any issues down the road. My shop said they wouldn't recommend pins when we asked them to install it with the hood because it could crack. I personally think they may not have wanted to deal with it.

I was watching a youtube video and one company was offering a soft poly plastic type plate. They said the billett aluminum plates will crack fiberglass because they have no give. Kind of has me worried a little... but I've never seen anyone with these softer black plates. They've always been the aluminum ones. Unless that company is just trying to market their product.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It is always always always recommended to use hood pins on any aftermarket hood on these cars. The propensity for the stock latch to fail on na aftermarket hood and bust your window is very great.

I am a major fan of the aerocatch latches, but they are more of a pain to install.

If you take your time, drill in the right spot, and put them in right, they should not have any issues.

kb1982

Reaction score
Don't forget to put them back in ever. My rule is that anytime the hood is up, I put the pins back in. If you try to close the hood, you will have to remove the pins. After that they are in your hand, hard to forget to reinstall them that way. Lesson learned the hard way.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Or do aerocatch and you don't have to worry if you remembered the pins or not!!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
(Who said that, I feel like I said that)

...........keep hearing voices in my head........

.............my long lost evil twin must be trying to communicate............

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you do aerocatch watch out as there is a cheap knock off with the same name/look copying them. Don't get the cheapest place you can find from china...

OP
OP
R

RickSample1

Reaction score
I saw those and the look the best, I Just wouldn't feel comfortable cutting the hood to install them lol. I have the UPR billet hood pins in hand, will probably install them next weekend

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
cut a hole, drill a hole, no difference really. The top loaded style that most people get have a flange that will cover up an cut that is not perfect. If you get the flush style from the bottom then you need a perfect cut.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The cutting really is not bad. Cut it small and dremel out to the line. Even with the flush mounted style you could go back in and back fill with epoxy if necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online